Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

for all you bear hunters?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Default for all you bear hunters?

Is bear meat good to eat and what does it taste like?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Default RE: for all you bear hunters?

Better then beef!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:12 AM

Depends on the season and what the bears have been eating. Spring bears, especially early in the season, can be pretty rank and full of worms. They are edible if cooked properly, but you may not enjoy the meal or the worms. Fall bears that are fattening up for their hibernation are excellent.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Taste like chicken. Just kidding. It taste like bear. Somewhat like beef but a little stringier. I make my roasts in a slow cooker and put a cup or so of water in with 3 beef bullion cubes, poatatoes, carrots, and onion. mmmmmm
Chops - dip in egg and drag through flour seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder, fry until golden brown, place in casserole dish and cover with a can of cream of mushroom soup and bake for 45 mins.
Steaks - trim off all fat and grill seasoned to taste.
Hamburg - I use it in chili. Don't worry about the fat. I usually brown it in a frying pan before adding it to the chili and the fat usually burns off during the browning.
The hardest part is getting the bear.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:17 AM

its good but depends on there diet
Old 05-09-2007, 09:33 PM

I've read so many different opinions on how bear meat tastes, I just don't know what to think about it.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Its all about the bears meals. Bears that go to sleep on berry fat are great, bears that are on fish diet are bad, etc, the better what they eat, the better they taste.

Kirby
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have also heard that bears going to sleep in the fall on a heavy berry diet are good.

Having eaten from quite a number of bears, (mostly spring killed), I would say this... A bear feeding mostly on grasses/chutes in the spring eats good. A bear feeding mostly on carcass in the spring eats bad, in fact, they smell bad through the whole process.

I have eaten a number of fall bears as well. About half have been good eating, and the other half have been rank - like a bear on a carcass in the spring.

Some bears just have a bitter/strong taste to them, even if you brine and smoke the hams. Others are very similar to pork hams in the same situation. Personally, I think it depends on if the have been feeding on carcass, and how rotten those carcass' are.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Spike

Chicken fried with biscuits and country gravy, it don't get no better.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like bear meat. I hunt and kill mountain bears, that feed on mostly grasses in the spring...good eaten buggars. I killed one this weekend..meat looks great, no stink ..getting it processed into sausage

Quick Reply: for all you bear hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.