Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

taking rifle on airline?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Spike

Default RE: taking rifle on airline?

I'm afraidflying with firearmsnot as simple as was indicated here in some of these posts. I fully agree that the important first step is getting a good quality hard case to protect your firearm. From there on, flying with it gets complicated. You must comply with two sets of requirements. One isrequiredby the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) and the other by the individual airline you choose to fly. You must comply with both and they can and do vary. For example, contrary to some posts, TSA regs and some airlines allow guns and ammo to be packed together in the gun case. Other airlines do not allow that. None of the airlines I have flown on in the last several years (and that's a bunch)have put a sticker on the outside of the case announcing that a gun was inside, but I can't vouch for all of them (However, they all require a signed card inside the case vouching that the firearm is unloaded) Bottom line, you should go on the internet and check with the government (TSA) at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtmand also at the website of the airline you are flying with to fully understand the requirements. It is also a good idea to print out the airline's firearms policy and have it with you as you will find that often airline counter personnel are ignorant of what their employer's policies are.

Further, international flights add another layer of requirements. For example most international flights limit the amount of ammo you can carry to 5 Kg (~11 pounds). Some countries will not allow semi automatic rifles. Some ban the import of more than one rifle of the same caliber. Others require that the caliber stamped on the receiver of the rifle match the head stamps on the cartridges (a potential problem for wildcatters that use fireformed brass). If you are planning a flight to an international destination, including Canada,I would urge you to check with your outfitter or booking agent to learn the specific requirements of your destination country.

In addition, checking in at airports with firearms will vary with the airport setup and their equipment. At smaller airports without extensive baggage x-ray equipment, after you check in at the airline counter and your bag is tagged,you will then hand carry your firearm over to an adjacent TSA inspection area where the TSA crew will hand inspect it. When they are done with their inspection, they will lock your case and turn it over to the airlines baggage system. At larger airports with high volume baggage x-ray setups, the gun cases may be locked at the time of airline check-in and then run thru an Xray check without any further handling on your part.

Sorry there's no simple solution, but I hope this helps!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are going to do something that could possibly get you jail time if done incorrectly why would you ask a bunch of people that youhave never met before in your lifetimeinstead of calling the airline you intend to fly withand asking them directly?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ihad no trouble at all getting my rifle through airport security to go to utah. I got a kalispel metal case and purchased 2 of the airline locks that have a combination but also has a opening for a key that all baggage checking people have the key is universal and works in all the locks. I took my bolt out of my gun and put a lock down through the trigger also for added security i had 2 boxes of ammo and 2 knives in the case also and had no problems with security. My case took one heck of a beating though it has scratches all over it. Thats where the case really pays for itself. Zero never moved. I flew Southwest.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Handles

What do you suggest when there is a weight limit? I'm heading on a caribou hunt and we are limited to 60lbs. That case you show weighs 15 by its self add a scoped rifle and you have over 1/3 of the weight allowed. I've got to add in my bow and case along with other gear. Thoughts?
If you're talking the comercial flight, I guess pay the overage rate. If you're talking a bush plane then I guess you can ditch the hard case after the commercial flight, because you won't havebaggage handlers throwing it around.

I've flown with arifleto a lot of places. My father has travelled the world hunting.checking weapons is no big deal.

As far as some airline allowing ammo and weapon to bein the same case....to be honest I rememberawhile back being told not topack ammo with the rifle so ever since I've packed them seperately.

I can not emphasize enough though that you need a very high quality case toput your weapons in prior to checking them with a commercial airline. They get some very serious abuse. Take them to the airport in the case,unloaded, preferably with the bolt out/action open and you shouldn't have a problem. The TSA/airline will inspect them and you'll be on your way.