Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Why bear hunt?

Old 04-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why bear hunt?

Bears are like any other animal. Shoot a large specimen ( which is what everybody tries to do ) and you have shot an old animal, sometimes 10 yrs old or more. If you ate a 10 yr old cow that was fed nothing but fish I doubt you would be too impressed with that either.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

If you ate a 10 yr old cow that was fed nothing but fish I doubt you would be too impressed with that either.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 AM

Bear Hunting is addictive . I have the opportunity here in Spokane to hunt ANY North American game. My choice: Bears. The bigger the better. WhY?
I really dont know. All i can tell you is ....it is addictive. I am going to Alberta in 3 weeks to go on a spring hunt. I might go on an elk hunt this fall.

I think it has something to do with the animals...they are incredible.

billykidrock....awesome!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Our local grizzly bear population have grown up pretty much living off the endless supply of dirty pampers at the dump. Not sure I'd even eat one of the blackies. Now there's a tip for you baiters...........................save up a 55 gallon drum of dipers and pack that into the bush.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

why hunt bears one word fun. as for eating them they are very good its like anything. try a salt water duck vs a fresh water duck big taste difference. try wild hogs that live along a salt marsh vs one that lives upland big difference. its all what they have been eating. as for that deer can be different to there is a difference when a deer has been feeding near a corn field and one from a swamp. as for hunting spot and stalk has always been real fun but i will not put anyone down for using bait or dogs. i just don't like to do it that way. i used to hunt deer with dogs loved it but i now only still hunt.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 AM

I have been several times up north (where it's both legal and the only method I think they use) hunting over bear baits. I did shoot one, saw others. I lost the thrill of the hunt. A similar feeling about hunting over baited areas has lostthe appeal for me. Be it with deer, bear, whatever. Bunting... Bait hunting while legal in many states takes the hunt out of the hunter. If all you have to do is pour out a bag of corn, or whatever the treat is to bring them in, I personally find it difficult to get excited about that. Something about shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind... When I started hunting there was no bait hunting allowed. When it was opened about 20 years ago in my state I did it. I am one of the guys who either took a 4 wheeler or just plain toted in sacks and sacks of bait. This ritual would begin 4 weeks before season opener to get them primed up.

I find myself digressing. I will stop there.

Bear hunting on the other hand, where as has been mentioned here where you actually get out and look for the animal. You learn it's habits, its strengths, it's weaknesses. There is nothing more intoxicating than a good hunt. Where you put your wits against the animal, mano to animalo. As far as the meat, I liked the meat from the 260# boar I shot. I shared this with several of my buddies. Some liked it some didn't. While a red meat it should be cooked as pork (160 degrees min).

Maybe hooking up with someone who does the spot and stalk method will help change your mind.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt bears. I eat bears, I like bear meat.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love hunting bear and turks in the spring, we make sausage and other stuff out of our bear meat, it eats good, these mountain habitat bears taste prettydecent in the spring especially if you kill one early while they are predominatley feeding on grasses out of the den, I hunt em in a no baiting zone.. all spot and stalk, bow or rifle
Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM

I am going on a bear hunt in 15 days to Saskatchewan with Horn's Whitetail Adventures. We are hunting over bait with a bow and camera in hand. I have hunted bears only twice in the past. Once we tried calling and once over bait. The thrill of the hunt here is that I am only looking to take a true representative trophy. Something over 400 lbs on video.

I am 100% for fair chase hunting and I believe that in this particular section of Saskatchewan there is no other way to kill a bear. The woods are too thick to spot and stalk and not open enough to call without the very real possibility of getting attacked. I am excited about this hunt and am looking forward to having the bear made into sausage and roasts that I can smoke on my grill and do a pulled BBQ style dinner with.

I will have play by play of each and every day of the hunt up on my blog and I am really really excited for the challenge. The biggest challenge will be watching the bears that I do not want to take milling around under the stand and eating. What better way to see one of natures truly magnificent animals in the wild?

Old 07-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Why hunt bears...the thrill of knowing that he can eat me if he so pleases. So I better get him first. I've built probably five stands over bait and bears have climbed every single one of them to look around. They know I'm there. One stand I had was fifteen feet in the air but level with the knoll close by. Nothing gets the blood pumping faster than to have a 300# bear stand on the knoll...even with you...and sway back and forth...looking in the stand to see if you are there.[&:]

Eating...good stuff. Just make sure that the bear is a grass, flower, and berry eater and not trash, garbage and fish. They are what they eat.

I can't wait to get back in the woods.

Happy Hunting
Reid

Quick Reply: Why bear hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.