Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Dalton Hwy AK, Caribou Hunt >

Dalton Hwy AK, Caribou Hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dalton Hwy AK, Caribou Hunt

Old 04-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dalton Hwy AK, Caribou Hunt

This is the same hunt I would like to take my wife on.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Robert,

You need to talk to Jerry. Hes still got that open offer up there for you. Would be a greatthing to do.

Don
Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don,
I have lost Jerry's contact info. I would love to take him up on the offer.

Robert
Old 04-16-2007, 07:59 AM

I did that hunt in 2001 ,I rented a little raft off a guy at a tire shop in deadhorse to get across the sag near the franklin bluffs and walked the 5 miles and we both killed nice bulls in early sept. It was a great hunt that I recommend to anybody that can do the hike,you need a gps to know when you are 5 miles off the gravel highway.I do think you should sleep in the rental suv and keep your stuff in a tent ,a lot of hungry grizz up there, had to wake one up that was sleeping on one of the bulls the next day ,just to get the cape and antlers off of him.

[/align]
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the PM DonK. I will be in touch with Jerry soon. I might do this hunt in 2008?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:31 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Cameron Hanes of EBJ has a book out on this and many hunts. I found it very informative.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 AM

This is a great hunt, but it can go South very quickly. Make sure someone knows where you are going, and I recommend bringing in a satelite phone with a pre arranged call schedual to call someone let em know the mosquito's haven't eaten you alive yet.
There are easier hunts to do such as fly in hunts near illiamna, but pick the one you want to do. We have enough caribou to go around. Hunting up here is not like the lower 48. With rare exception, a hunting trip up here is a week or longer where down South you can get into some great hunting right after work if you wanted. Hiking in wet tundra can be fun. Bring rubber boots. Sorry, your danners are not water proof like they say they are. You can take a caribou with bow or rifle, but your real need is some sort of bear medicine. I recommend at least having one memeber or your party carrying a 338 or bigger. The large brown bears can and have been killed with 30 cal, but an angry bear is pretty hard to kill as fast as you need to sometimes. (I know of one that had to get taken out with a 40 cal pistol and 12 ga slugs...long story). There is no hunt in the world worth getting hurt over, so plan ahead.
Good luck in what ever hunt you choose.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Spike

And by all means, DON'T TRY TO DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE ACROSS THE TUNDRA! The AK guys will know what I am talking about.

The Dalton Highway is a fun hunt, but you do have to expect a lot of road hunting traffic. Me and buddy of mine hiked in a couple miles last year and got real close to some great caribou, but just couldn't get close enough to the bulls we wanted. We alsolearned a lot about what and what you can't do when stalking a caribou heard. Just remember the cows are the eyes and ears of the heard. If you can keep the cows under control you shouldn't have a problem getting a bull.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Spike

Oh I forgot, if you can stand the cold, burrrrrr! (Stress Arctic winter gear and short days). Oct-Nov is a great time to get a good trophy. The antlers are hard and the cape is gorgeous. The tundra is frozen, the bears aren't as active, and the bugs are gone.

Fair warning though. If your hunting mainly for meat shoot a cow. Don't plan on eating an Octoberbull caribou that is actively rutting. Idon't even think a dog would eata rutting bull caribou. November isn't badbecause the rut is over, but do it in early Nov. The biggest bulls start dropping antlers around the 2nd week.