Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Broadhead question for bears >

Broadhead question for bears

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Broadhead question for bears

Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Broadhead question for bears

I am hunting black bear this spring for the first time and I need to know whether it is best to use fixed blade broadheads or expandables. Or if it makes any difference at all. Any input would be great. Thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broadhead question for bears

fixed blade for sure!!!!

i cannot recommend expandables for bear, but thats just me. with all the quality fixed blade heads out there now, why take the chance.

i myself have found montecs to great bear medicine. flew like my practice tips even with my speed setup, razor sharp, and one piece of tough steel.
but really there are lots of quality heads out there, just make sure your bows tuned and the heads are flying true for ya and ya shouldnt have any problem.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:35 AM

i would use a fixed blade

Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 AM

I am going to Alberta next month...........spitfires XP baby!!! (mechanicals)

you dont think these things work? Watch Bear 'n Down 5...its just about all they use on this video....deadly!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

im not saying there doomed for failure, i am just saying that their failure rates are higher than fixed blades, and why take that chance. also, be sure to check with your outfitter, as many wont allow mechs in camp.
i do realize some are quality, and have heard lots of good about the spitfires, but i also have a friend who quit using spits when it cost him an elk. could it have been his shot, maybe, i wasnt there i dont know, but again, why take a chance.

good luck either way, bears are my favorite animal to hunt, so if your going on a trip for em im jealous!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would definately go fixed blade... Try the slick trick's or new Crimson talons.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM

The outfitter in Alberta hasn't had ANY problems with mechanicals. Alot of states do not allow the use of mechanicals which is why i am using them in Canada.

i just purchased BEAR 'N DOWN 5....almost every single one of the bears taken (out of 18) was using mechanicals.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM

Anything that will work for deer works fine for black bear. Choose a quality head of either kind, make a good shot and you'll be fine. I use 125 gr. Spitfires on black bear myself.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like fixed for everything, actually more to the point COC BH's and use them for anything I hunt upto/including Moose.

Even though spitfires and other mechanicals get good air play I don't mind taking one variable out of the equation!

Best of luck
Old 04-14-2007, 07:54 AM

If you are shooting from a tree stand I would say shoot the heaviest/sturdiest fixed blade your bow can handle. Too many potential problems with mechs in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Broadhead question for bears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.