Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ELK DECOY

Old 04-10-2007, 05:31 AM

Default ELK DECOY

Thinking of using a decoy this year,on a bow hunt in montana. Anybody have any advice or comments .GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

[/align]
Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Default RE: ELK DECOY

I've used the Montana Decoy with great success for turkey, deer and elk. It's very light weight and easy to set up and take down. They even have a carrying case.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dayna,
DON'T USE IT DURING RIFLE SEASON!!!!

I use the cow elk I,what I do is I carry it with me.When I get a bull to respond I set it up and move 10-15 yards out front or to the side depending on time and how close the bull was.The other trick i try is loacating a herd in the morrning and get ahead of them.I then set up the decoy and cow call trying to pull a bull in.

What ever you do don't let the close enough to smell the decoy.I spray cow in estrus on cotton balls and staple them to the back of the ears,that wayI can remove them after every days hunt.

BBJ
Old 04-10-2007, 12:44 PM

RMA ,I was thinking of the montana one also,BBJ ,I would like the thought of having one for the dead times when your watching a water hole or a good ridge crossing .What would you say your % of positive responses are to your decoy.

[/align]
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dayna,
I've only used it3 timeslast year andhad elk all 3timescome in.So I guess it would be a 100%.
The first time was when I got a bull to bark,I set it up and started to cow call with a hyper lip and a mouth diaghphram.
The 2nd was I was set up by a spring or seep that had some rut activity around it.I saw a spike on the far end.I moved around a small knoll and set it up.I cow called and he would look at it but go back to drinking.So I ripped a HUGE bugle and tossed in some cow/calf chirps and he came running.He came to about 28 inches,cause thats when I poked him in the leg with my arrow.
The 3rd was about the last weekend of archery,it was cold and rainy/snow.I hiked to a ridge and started glassing.I saw about 25-30 head elk all accross a hill side feeding.I slipped down into the bottom and bugled.I got two bulls to respond soIset-up the decoy again.This time I got a shooter coming in he came to about 10 yds and turned,he bugled and walk to go behind the cow.His head low he sniffed her and CRASH!!!!! he whirled and was gone.
The problem is I set-up behind her(the decoy) and I had no shot on the lower elevation I was on.
So I learnd a few lessons to grow from and pass on to you.Thats why I say stay out front or to the side and don't let them smell it.
BBJ
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

i saw a guy on a hunting show call in a couple of bulls and they came right up to a cardboard cow......i thought it might not fool them but it did
Old 04-11-2007, 04:34 AM

i used a montana decoy and got my first elk at 10 yards
Old 04-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

check out renzos decoys. i think they have a cow elk. they are about 1/3 the price of the bigger name brands, and still have photo quality.

im going to get a renzos antelope decoy for this fall.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I agree with the other posts. I try to get ahead of the herd or use it on an active bull. The Renzo decoys are not as durable. Either way it helps put the elk at ease when they see one of their own.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

I have the two cow Montana decoys and they look really great and are easy to use. The stakes are heavy though and I plan on making some lightweight ones and replacing the factory heavy ones.

Quick Reply: ELK DECOY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.