Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Idaho or Colorado elk?

Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Idaho or Colorado elk?

I'm looking for opinions from folks who have hunted elk in both Colorado and Idaho and what state you think is the best; and for what reasons. I am planning a hunt in 08'. I have been to Colorado and think it is a great state, but my buddy wants to hunt Idaho only because it's the only state he's hunted. We are DIY, public lands, bow hunters, no atv's. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:02 AM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: Idaho or Colorado elk?

I've hunted both states and for what its worth I prefer Colorado. Co has more elk but if you're a trophy hunter than Idaho may be better. Lots of wolf talk in Idaho, don't know how it will affect the hunting.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Bonner's Ferry, Idaho, there's some public land up there, and they got elk, it's near Canada, so you'll be in for a drive, but it seems like a good place, if you want to see where it is, you might want to buy the REALTREE ROADTRIPS HUNTER'S ATLAS. It shows all the public hunting locations in the U.S.A. I think Bonner's Ferry should be a sure bet.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Spike

Go to Colorado......there are far more elk, and it is cheaper. Up here in Idaho the hunting is very hard, not for a first timer......and Younggun is right about one thing, there is plenty of public ground here, as in close to 80% of the state, but Bonners area isn't the place to hunt elk, good for bears though....
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info. I really don't consider myself a first timer though....but I do recognize I do have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to hunting a new state and a new environment. I am just curious about the experiences people have had with each state that would aid in my decision where to hunt.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 PM

I have not yet had the pleasure of hunting in Colorado at this time, but what I can tell you of Northern Idaho is that the country is steep and deep and the hunting in the Panhandle is and can be very hard. If you are not in the physical shape necessary to hunt hard and physical each and every day then Idaho is going to be a really hard hunt. Southern Idaho offers some great draws but if you are looking for over the counter tags, the panhandle can provide some big bulls.

I know there are some great hunts on public land in Colorado and if you are willing, I know of some great trespass hunts on private land where for an over the counter and a trespass fee you can hunt on a private ranch. I am not a booking agent for these hunts, but I have a couple of connections and know who to go to. Drop me an email if your interested.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 AM
Spike

Colorado has a lot more elk to choose from. Idaho is steep, rugged, and thick. Plus lots of hunting pressure.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:54 AM

co has better population
Old 04-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

I have hunted both states several times and I would reccomend Idaho. Not nearly as many animals as CO, but there are a lot of areas that are simply not accessible by ATV. That simple fact is worth more to me than seeing a hundred elk in a week. Colorado seems to have higher elevations, whereas Idaho is mostly up and down, which means, if you get off the trails by a mile or so, you'll eliminate 85% of the pressure.

Bottom line...you will find elk wherever you go if you do your research. Talk to the guys on this forum, locals, game biologists, etc....you're doing it the right way..on foot and on your own....those have the makings for a memorable hunt, even if you're not successful.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:34 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

asmoeggs,

I've hunted Western Montana and Colorado for elk, but not Idaho. You mention you have been to Colorado but not whether you have hunted elk here. On the other hand, you state specifically that your friend HAS hunted Idaho.

If you don't have experience with hunting elk here in Colorado and especially if you are going DIY, then I would definitely go with your friend's choice.... Idaho, there is no substitute for experience.
================================================== =

Originally by frozendisc:
"....and Younggun is right about one thing, there is plenty of public ground here, as in close to 80% of the state, but Bonners area isn't the place to hunt elk...."
YG is giving advice on where to hunt elk in Idaho?.... Where does that come from?
================================================== =

Originally by jjwilie:
"....I have hunted both states several times and I would reccomend Idaho. Not nearly as many animals as CO, but there are a lot of areas that are simply not accessible by ATV. That simple fact is worth more to me than seeing a hundred elk in a week.
Regarding a different remark by jjwilie:

The above remark begsan interesting counter-point.... Why do we not see more posts reflecting just the opposite? i.e. "I prefer Colorado over Idaho becausewe want moreATV encountersduringour big game hunts."

No need to respond, just pointing out that.... there it is.... again.... an unsolicited third partyreference toATV's degradingtheir hunt experience.

Quick Reply: Idaho or Colorado elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.