HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Colorado Bear permit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/187560-colorado-bear-permit.html)

Hunter_59 04-08-2007 03:53 PM

Colorado Bear permit

We are hunting between 9000-11000 feet in CO during the first week of Sept. Is it worthless to buy an otc bear permit when hunting this high?

ElkNutz 04-08-2007 07:14 PM

RE: Colorado Bear permit

I think it depends on the year and the area you are going to be hunting. But, bearsdo inhabit that high. Often the summers push them down to find food. As, the summer progresses berries in the high country have already ripened and they just follow the food source down. If, I was an out of stater I wouldn't go to the expense. I have hunted for 6 years straight and never came across one.As well, I don't know any "local"out herethat "piggybacks" a elk tag, with a bear tag. But that doesn't meanyou won't need one.:DGood Luck

*Hiker* 04-10-2007 10:18 AM

Hunter 59, What unit will you be hunting?

patchnball 04-10-2007 08:30 PM

Was hunting unit 33 last fall, second season 8,000', wish I would have bought a bear tag. Large brown phase bear wanted in the bed of our truck, all I could do was shoo him away. Beautiful bear and he was standing at the tailgate. doesn't get any easier than that!!! Of course If I had bought a tag I would have NEVER seen a bear. Good luck on your hunt!!

RMA 04-13-2007 07:51 AM

Bears are foraging up to 20 hours a day in Sept.You could run into one at any time. If you can find a cherry or berry patch look for scat mulitiple bears will hit it sometimes more than one at a time. You can also try calling one in with a distress call.

Hunter_59 04-17-2007 06:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, Hiker, I'm hunting GMU 43. The reason I posed this question was because hiking in last year we came across a fresh bear scat. I was on the trail at 9000'. We are normally climbing up to 10,000-11,000 ft. I just figured we were too high for bear at that time of year. I think it's like patchnball stated in that if I have a permit I'll never have the opportunity to use it and if I don't we'll run smack dab into a 'biggin'! Thanks again for the responses.

WinchesterX150 04-17-2007 11:47 PM

hunted 35 last year and ran across a huge black bear. Its always a good idea to have one in your pocket just incase. Its what, $36? If you dont plan on eating the meat, then no, dont get one.

*Hiker* 04-18-2007 02:14 PM

"I was on the trail at 9000'. We are normally climbing up to 10,000-11,000 ft."

for the September bear season, you might see them up at 10-11K if there's a lot of berries and other food but comeOctober, they'll more than likely be lower where the good food is, i.e. gambrel oaks.