Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Input needed on sleeping bag, Tent >

Input needed on sleeping bag, Tent

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Input needed on sleeping bag, Tent

Old 04-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Input needed on sleeping bag, Tent

I back pack into the back country every year during elk season, and I'm looking to replace some of my heavier pieces. Both my tent and sleeping bag are not really designed for back packing. Neither compress very much, and both are fairly heavy. Do any of you have experience with the various choices for lightweight tents and bags out there? A couple of specifics- the bag I would prefer to be 0 degrees, and the tent needs to be a three man. I hunt the Rockies in the middle of October. Also, cost is a factor.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Input needed on sleeping bag, Tent

Hey workhorse,
There are alot of things you could probably lighten up on. Tent and sleeping bag are usually the first.
Why are you needing a 3 man tent???? Do you go solo???

Some guys use just a tarp.......Not for me! I like the extra protection of a tent during those high alt. storms!!I have a Eureka EXO 2 man that's just shy of 4 lbs minimum. This has enough room for me and gear. It is a single wall so that you don't have the extra weight of a fly.

Here are a couple of links..... One is for Eureka and the other is for Sierra Trading Post
Good Luck.
Bill

A CLASS Department

Sleeping Bags - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands
Old 04-08-2007, 07:22 AM

Bill, I'm wanting a 3 man because I hunt with atleast one, and sometimes two guys. Even with two guys, if you are going to spend 2-3 days up on the mountain, it is nice to have a little extra room for all your gear, and just to be comfortable.

I was looking at the Eureka EXO, but I wasn't sure how well it would hold up to the early winter conditions I often find myself in, as well as the wind. I camp above timberline. Also, heard it has some condensation issues. Have you had any problems with this when you sealed it up tight?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Well with an extra person or 2 you can maybe get away with a little more weight.Divide up.

I go solo above timberline and haven't had any problems with the sturdiness of the tent. I've been in some WOW storms/wind. As for condensation. I don't really close it all the way up. So that hasn't been a problem for me? There are good deals out there if you know where to look!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have purchased severalsleeping bagsthrough Sierra trading posts, and have never been dissapointed. Of course, a down bag is going to be lightest and most compressable. But is useless if you get it wet. The bag I use for backpacking is a Sierra designs 0 rated polarguard 3D. I have been pleased with it. One of the most important things about buying a bag is getting a comfortable, breathable inner lining. If you don't, your sweat will stay in the bag and make you cold. Sierra designs have a comfortable lining for me. Polarguard is also pretty close to down as far a copressablity and weight, but will retain its loft even when wet. However, you can't leave it in a stuff sack for any length of time or it will lose its compressablity. All synthetic downs are that way to a certain extent, but they are getting better. However, an old sierra designs bag that had lost its loft was sent back to them and they sent me a new bag! I hang my bags upin the off season, and carry them in a loose bag when in transit. I only put them in a compression bag when I arrive at the trailhead and head out. Doing this, my latest 0 bag hasn't seem to lose much if any loft in about 8 years.

I have a Cabelas XPG tent that have served me well. However, it is a 3 season bag about 8 1/2 lbs. That is the rub though, to go up to a 4 season tent jumps you up to over 13 lbs. I don't know of any way to avoid the weight jump when going to a four season bag.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 PM

Workhorse, I like this question that you have posted and I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find lightweight gear myself. Here is some of my information from previous research that will hopefully help you. Also just so you know I do not own any of these items so I'm not sure of there field qualities.

Tents; All 3 man tentsfloor square feet + vestibule
Sierra Designs "Sirius 3" 41ft + 4 ft5 lbs 4 oz $136
North Face "Spectrum 33" 34ft + 9 ft4 lbs 12 oz $270
Big Agnes "Seedhouse Superlight" 36ft + 11ft 4 lbs 8 oz $379
Black Diamond "Skylight" 36.6ft + 10ft 4 lbs 15oz $430

Sleeping Bags;
Eureka "Casper" 15 degree Synthetic 2 lbs 15 oz $80
Slumberjack "Odyssey" 10 degree Synthetic 3 lbs 5 oz $100
Slumberjack "Vertex" 0 degree Synthetic 3 lbs 12 oz $120
North Face"Snowshoe" 0 degree Synthetic 3 lbs 7 oz $190
Marmot "Lithium"0 degree Down 2 lbs 8 oz $430

Old 04-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Workhorse,
Here is my tent Wenzel Ridgeline,they call it a 3 1/2 season.
It weighs in @ 4 lbs,has room for 2 plus a vestbule.
It has a base of 5x7 feet,center hight of 48 inches.The center pole can be left home and hung from a branch or use a hiking stick,or just a stick.
I set mine up a week ago in a spring snow storm,we got 8 inches of heavy wet snow,I left it up for 4 days.It din't colaspe or fall in and stayed dry.
Best of all it only cost about 40 bucks on e-bay.
BBJ

Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 AM

For Tents on backpacking expeditions or for solo hunting I would look at Hilleberg Tents! The quality if far superior to anything I have seen or used for solo hunts.

http://www.hilleberg.com/

For Sleeping Bags.... I really like the Alaskan Guide Series from Cabelas because of the quality of the bag and the compression I can get out of it! I am sure there are better options, it was just my first choice and it as worked for me year after year!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:01 PM

IMO, the best sleeping bags for you are going to be the ones with Polarguard Delta. They don't compress quite as much as down (although they still compress a great deal), but they're still very light and they insulate even when wet. The big name companies all make good bags using this fill. For my money, I would buy the North Face Cat's Meow (+20 rating) without hesitation. It's one of the best bags made. I currently own the North Face Snowshoe (0 degree version of the Cat's Meow), and I love it. You really don't need a 0 degree bag for that time of year, though, so the Cat's Meow would be perfect. If the temperature drops below 20, just sleep with your clothes on. I have a 25 degree Polarguard 3D bag that I've used in sub-0 weather multiple times without any problem.

http://www.rei.com/product/746449
BTW, Polarguard Delta is the improved version of Polarguard 3D.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

BBJ........One of these days were going on a hunt!!!!!! Only problem is ............We both live in Elk states and the out of state tag could be more than either of Us are willing to bear[:-]

Bill

Quick Reply: Input needed on sleeping bag, Tent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.