HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Opinions on the Remington 700 XCR (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/186337-opinions-remington-700-xcr.html)

KEH75 03-29-2007 12:34 AM

Opinions on the Remington 700 XCR

As previously expressed in my original post, I'm new to hunting and I'm currently in the process of trying to make up my mind on a rifle. I keep coming back to the Remington 700 XCR in 30.06. I'm looking for something that will cover everything from deer to elk or even moose. The .06 seems to have a wide range of grain weights to cover all of these. Seems like a pretty good allaround caliber. And as for the XCR it seems like a pretty good rifle for the money from what I gather on other reviews, though they seem hard to come by. I have put myself on a budget of somewhere around $700 or under for the first one and this rifle falls right into that. Like I said I'm really new and looking for feedback from those of you with a ton more experience than what I have and if you have any experience or pros/cons regarding the XCR. Just want to see where I'm with my assessment. Thanks in advance for your input!!!

CamoCop 03-29-2007 02:55 AM

RE: Opinions on the Remington 700 XCR

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2066508

i sure hope you have deep pockets and ALOT of time since it looks as if you are trying to master every type of hunting at once.

Folically Challenged 03-29-2007 04:29 AM

Your caliber selection will take you an awfully long way. Though there may be better choices for each of the species you've listed, there's not likely a better choice for the group.

Aside from the stock & the TriNyte, I'm not sure how the XCR is different from the SPS SS. You may want to handle both to see if the $250 to$300 price difference is worth it to you. I've never hadeitherkind (SS or TriNyte) of rifle, so I don't know how well they stand up to the elements. If the SPS SS held up well enough, you could save some $$$, & still have a reat shooter.

FWIW, I settled on the CDL in .30-06, and I love it. Had I not been such a blued-steel-and-wood-stock kind o' guy, I'd probably have gone with one of your choices!

Good Luck,

FC

Wolf killer 03-29-2007 07:30 AM

KEH75,
First off welcome to the sport & the hunting net board!

Next you picked a great rifle & caliber in my opinion. The 30-06 will handle all of north america's big game animals.

Just to let you know, I hunt all game with three rifles.
They are as listed:
25-06: Pronghornantelope & deer rifle.
7mm-STW: Long range shooting rifle & heavy to carry. Pronghorn antelope &Deer. Sometimes I take this one elk hunting, but not often.
300-winchester magnum. Elk & Black bear rifle.

Good luck,

WK

nebhunt 03-29-2007 08:01 AM

A year ago I was in the spot you are. I was looking for a good deer gun that would also do well on elk. I bought the Remington XCR in 300 WSM. The gun shoots great and feels great. Very little recoil with the stock design and the R3 recoil pad. It would shoot 1" groups with 165gr. Hornady Interbonds and also 180gr Nosler Accubonds. I did float the barrell andglass bed the stock and it did help shrink the groups down to 1/2 inch on a couple of reloads.It will also print 1/2 inch with 168 Barnes TSX over RamshotHunter.

I shot two deer with it this last year, one at 376 yards and another at 435, both bang flop. This next year I will be taking it on an elk hunt and I know it will do the job if I do my part.

I think you would be very happy with the gun and the 06 should be just fine for the deer and elk with quality bullets.

KEH75 03-29-2007 10:49 AM

Thanks for your input guys! It all helps!

CamoCop, I hear ya, LOL. No I don't have deep pockets, 1 thing at a time I guess. Like I said, its borderline obsession, just wanting to dive right in, but I'm pacing myself. Also, I would never attempt to use either in the field till I was proficient and confident enough. Not the type to go grab something off the shelf and go shoot something. I respect the sport and the game I would be hunting.

KEH75 03-29-2007 12:01 PM

Well thats another thing I was wondering, cuz I was also looking at the Rem 700 SPS SS and trying to figure out besides the TriNyte on the XCR what the difference was between the 2 cuz there is about $200-300 difference. I guessing that since they are both 700s you are basically paying the extra $$ for the TriNyte system. Is that right?

younggun308 03-29-2007 01:28 PM

IMO, any WSM in a 700 action wouldn't work well, because the WSM's are very fat cartridges, and it's harder to cycle the bolt.

A friend of mine's got one in .300 WSM, and the thing would jam all the time when trying to chamber.

I think a 30-06 would be better.

I see you don't want a wood stock? If you do, the Remington 673 would be good, I'm not sure if it's in 30-06 or not, it does have a free-floating barrel, I tried the dollar-bill thing on it.

My 673 is a .308 Win, and it seems to shoot very well with Federal ammunition, particularily Powershoks.

ShatoDavis 03-29-2007 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

IMO, any WSM in a 700 action wouldn't work well, because the WSM's are very fat cartridges, and it's harder to cycle the bolt.

A friend of mine's got one in .300 WSM, and the thing would jam all the time when trying to chamber.

I don't see why. I can assure you that the WSM line is no harder to feed that others I've owned. Your friends rifle sound to me like it has a problem with the magazine follower. I wouldn't attribute the problems to every 700 or the WSM family. I would guess that a couple of minutes with a good smith and the jamming issue would be solved.

the 300 WSM is an excellent cartridge and would fit KEH75's parameters nicely. Though I would hesitate to recomend it to someone with limited experience with rifles. the 300 WSM's that i've shot have a fair amount of felt recoil. I would recommend that if he's interested in that cartridge to try and shoot one prior to purchasing. My recomendation would be to buy something that is reasonbly light on recoil yet capable and enjoy shooting and learning your rifle. If I was choosing a cartridge for you I would try to find a 280 Rem, though I wouldn't think twice if you told me you prefered the 30-06 as it is an excellent round as well.

The 700 XCR isn't worth the extra money in my opinion. If you can buy a sps stainless for $300 less I would pocket the 3 bills and never look back. The sps stainless is an excellent choice. Savage, Ruger, CZ, and a host of other manufacturers make quality weapons as well.

nebhunt 03-30-2007 07:03 AM

+1 On ShatoDavis
I have never had one single feeding problem with my Rem XCR and I have over 250 rounds through it so far. I would also agree that the XCR would not be my first choice if I had to do it over again. I would just get the sps stainless and see how it shoots out of the box. I think you will end up needing to glass bed the action to get the best out of the gun. Remingtons factory stocks are not stiff enough IMHO. The savings that you get by buying the sps will more than pay for a good glassbed job and some left over for a good scope.

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I don't see why. I can assure you that the WSM line is no harder to feed that others I've owned. Your friends rifle sound to me like it has a problem with the magazine follower. I wouldn't attribute the problems to every 700 or the WSM family. I would guess that a couple of minutes with a good smith and the jamming issue would be solved.

the 300 WSM is an excellent cartridge and would fit KEH75's parameters nicely. Though I would hesitate to recomend it to someone with limited experience with rifles. the 300 WSM's that i've shot have a fair amount of felt recoil. I would recommend that if he's interested in that cartridge to try and shoot one prior to purchasing. My recomendation would be to buy something that is reasonbly light on recoil yet capable and enjoy shooting and learning your rifle. If I was choosing a cartridge for you I would try to find a 280 Rem, though I wouldn't think twice if you told me you prefered the 30-06 as it is an excellent round as well.

The 700 XCR isn't worth the extra money in my opinion. If you can buy a sps stainless for $300 less I would pocket the 3 bills and never look back. The sps stainless is an excellent choice. Savage, Ruger, CZ, and a host of other manufacturers make quality weapons as well.