HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/186008-bowhunting-gun-now-wyoming.html)

game4lunch 03-26-2007 11:04 AM

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Our G&F and legislators have passed a law that wil allow a bowhunter to carry a gun with them while bow hunting.
No limit on caliber. ANY GUN! Primary reason: "To protect the hunter from Grizz and/or Wolves while bow hunting."
You can also carry a shotgun if you want for upland game birds like Grouse.
I don't like this at all . . . and nobody that can do anything cares.
What do y'all think? If you don't like it, p.m. me and I'll get you the G&F's numbers or even the Governor!

younggun308 03-26-2007 11:15 AM

RE: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Hunt elkwith a bow and get stuckin your tent with nothing but an arrow while wolves circle it and then tell me if you don't like it, or if you'vetrackeda250 B&C elk you shot and find a Grizz standing over it, tell me what you think then.

I really don't see the whole fuss you're making here, if a Grizz is charging you, better to have a .22LR than nothing, so that even if you die,youcan bring it some suffering, and, if you're very lucky, to have it die three months later of lead poisoning.

REVENGE!!!!!!

gotlost 03-26-2007 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Hunt elkwith a bow and get stuckin your tent with nothing but an arrow while wolves circle it and then tell me if you don't like it, or if you'vetrackeda250 B&C elk you shot and find a Grizz standing over it, tell me what you think then.

I really don't see the whole fuss you're making here, if a Grizz is charging you, better to have a .22LR than nothing, so that even if you die,youcan bring it some suffering, and, if you're very lucky, to have it die three months later of lead poisoning.

REVENGE!!!!!!
You'd be better off using the 22 LR on yourself!

G4L PM sent, It's BS it call primitive hunting.

BareBack Jack 03-26-2007 12:17 PM

Here in Montana,you are allowed to carry a firearm while bowhunting.As long as it is not used in the aid of harvesting the animal or finishing it.

I myself have carried a sidearm for years,while bowhunting.I see nothing wrong with the peace of mind a gun brings.
I have hunted grizz country,and I have been around wolves.It's nice to fall a sleep in your tent with a gun next to ya.

Game,
If you are worried about the temtation the gun will bring,then don't pack one.I feel each person should have the right to protect them selfs from bodily harm be it man or beast.
BBJ

EKM 03-26-2007 12:20 PM

I'm not a bow hunter, but I like it as I like insurance.
Things are not now as they once were, new realities with the wolves and a healthy grizzly population.
I plan on staying at the top of the food chain.

James B 03-26-2007 12:31 PM

I am all in favor of it. If you want to make your kill with a bow, there is nothing stopping you. If you want just a bow for protection, leave the gun home.

I have a concielrd pistol pernit that says I can carry it at all times on or about my person so I have always done so. It has a few limitations but in the hunting fields is not one of them.

In fairness< I am not a bow hunter either.

gotlost 03-26-2007 12:45 PM

I haven't seen a lot of reports of bow hunters being injurd by bear, wolves or Mt lion lately here. but it can tell ya of at least 17x7 that was taken in archery season by a slob hunter with a rifle and call it a bow kill. now if they add to the law that the entire carcus must be brought to a game check stationfor inspection then they can carry anything they want!
If you want to hunt with a primitive weapon that should be you protection too.

bigbulls 03-26-2007 01:28 PM

The last time I checked the 2nd amendment guaranteed me the right to keep and bear arms.

I don't recall it saying anything to the effect of having the right to keep and bearexcept whenyou are hunting with a bow and arrow.

I don't give a rats butt if there has never been a hunter killed by a bear, lion or what ever while hunting with a bow. It is every law abiding citizens right to keep and bear arms 24/7.

So zip it andquit tearing down the 2nd amendment.

usa 03-26-2007 04:02 PM

Amen Bigbulls,people who poach will poach no matter what the law is, I carried my .44 in my backpack while bowhunting and never thought about shooting at an elk !

gotlost 03-26-2007 04:11 PM

Bigbulls, if you happen to have a carry permit, you may want to read the back of the card or the paper work that comes with it. pay attention to the area that states where you can not carry a firearm!
Schools , government meetings, courtrooms ect.

this is not about the 2nd amendment.