Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming! >

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

I have spent alot of time and know alot of guys that live in the backcountry. I am thinking hard on this one, but,no one I can think of has ever brought up the notion of poaching. None have ever brought up shooting an animal out of season or with the wrong weapon. I am not sure how many is "nearly all" but I know ALL of the guys I am thinking of, would come alot closer too turning in a poacher then ever putting the sights on an animal.
You're lucky. My Mother re-married when I was young and my stepfather and his brothers poached all the time. Seen it with my own eyes, that's why I'm so aware of the different types of people on the mountain. They don't think like you and I. All they care about is not getting caught. They don't carry a firearm on the bowhunt because they don't want to get turned in. But if it was legal to carry and they thought no one was looking they wouldn't hesitate to poach.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like there is a bigger problem here than we started with. Maybe you guys should consider turning in all of these poachers you know. You want to complain about the laws when you say you personally know poachers and won't do a damn thing about it!!!!!

And where in the constitution does it say I have the right to bear arms, UNLESS I'M BOW HUNTING!

Get a grip and start turning in thepoacher's, YOU SAY, you know.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

good point lucky
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 PM

I have lived here my entire life, 49 years, I havealways carried a handgun while bowhunting any way. All I can say is, it is about time!
Old 04-15-2007, 03:41 PM
usa
Fork Horn

RandyA, Amen brother, thanks Wyo for finally making me legal, I can't think of a single time that I ever thought about using my .44 instead of my bow.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

It sounds like there is a bigger problem here than we started with. Maybe you guys should consider turning in all of these poachers you know. You want to complain about the laws when you say you personally know poachers and won't do a damn thing about it!!!!!

And where in the constitution does it say I have the right to bear arms, UNLESS I'M BOW HUNTING!

Get a grip and start turning in thepoacher's, YOU SAY, you know.
Colorado....you should get your facts straight before you accuse somebody of something. I was 14 when I witnessed actual poaching. The guy that shot something on private property I actually didcall in an anonymous tip about.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

That's the only thing that is so frustrating about these internet boards. It's next to impossible to have an intellegent debate about anything anymore. You say one thing and then you have 20 people accusing you of something. You make an argument and people don't read your side of things.

I have said probably a dozen times in this thread that I agree with carrying a pistol but that there should be a limit and not one person has responded to that, even disagreeing. I don't care if people disagree or call me out. I just wish someone could argue something intelligently. It's the only way progress is made an we understand each others point of view.

ORIGINAL: usa

RandyA, Amen brother, thanks Wyo for finally making me legal, I can't think of a single time that I ever thought about using my .44 instead of my bow.
You're right USA MOST people obey the law including guys like you, not everyone does though and they ruin it for everyone else.

ORIGINAL: Randy A

I have lived here my entire life, 49 years, I havealways carried a handgun while bowhunting any way. All I can say is, it is about time!
I agree with that like I've said 100 times already I think we should be able to carry self defense firearms, but I think there should be limitations.There is no good reason in the world a guy should be going out on a bow hunt carrying a bow over one shoulder and a rifle over the other.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it would in Montanas back country,Backcountry hunting season you can have either one bow or Gun.
Just a side note.
BBJ
Old 04-16-2007, 07:12 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Rather-be-hunting,You're absolutely right, it's almost impossible to have an intelligent discussion on the internet. In the past I've involved myself in discussions that lasted week's and got so convoluted that I had to go back to figure out what the original topic was ! Now I use the forum to glean info and make usually to the point short comment's. Regarding your opinion that you could see no reason for an archer to carry a long gun with him I offer the following , limiting what you can carry to defend yourself open's up another can of worm's. How about the guy who doesn't own a sidearm and doesn't mind the extra weight of a long gun, why should he have to find an appropriate regulated weapon to feel secure in the wood's. I've seen hunter's in the woods with knives a foot long that to me seemed foolish but to each his own, most archers seem to feel secure in the woods almost to the point of for lack ofa better term (becoming one with the forest) but there's plenty of the nervous kind also, so I say let them carry whatever they're comfortable with and hope that it works out for them. I imagine that this law was created to lessen the states liability regarding bear and wolf attacks because of their inability to regulate either specie's. Besides after todays massacre in Va carrying a handgun anywhere might be in jeopardy !
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Well it would in Montanas back country,Backcountry hunting season you can have either one bow or Gun.
Just a side note.
BBJ
In Montana do you guys have a gun season and bow season running at the same time in the same areas?

In Utah we have an archery season. No firearms are allowed. You can't have one in camp, you can't even haveone in your vehicle. I personally don't mind it but if we had Grizzly's and Wolves I think my opinion would be different. I'd feel comfortable with a pistol on my side in that case.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.