Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming! >

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:26 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Bigbulls-thats exactly my point

huntnmulies-I see point I'll refrtain from arming bears in the future.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 PM

NVMike I'll try to talk with Jay Lawson this week on the deal on the Big Horn, he's the Chief of law enforcement. he mite spred some light on it.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnmuleys

but see heres where i feel you are wrong.

ya, i know it says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. but what if the bear gets the drop on you, and ya dont get a killing shot in time.

it does not say you have the right to keep and arm bears!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, good one, Mule.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

It's simple, they say locks (on your car, your house, whate ever) are for honest people right? That means if a criminal wants your car, regardless of what locks or security system you have it'shis. Right? But the guy who's tempted may try to open the door, see that it's locked and just walk away.
Wrong if that tempted guy trys to open the door then he isn't honest to begin with. He just has more to risk than the thug off the street.

I really don't understand why you guys are so ready to just sit there and agree that you shouldn't be able to carry a firearm.
IT'S YOUR RIGHTAS A UNITED STATES CITIZEN.

You'd be surprised how a normally honest person would be tempted to cross the line with a trophy class animal standing in front of him.

My whole point was this, you aren't going to stop the premeditation. That will always happen. What limited firearms while bowhunting hunting does is take away the temptation for that average hunter. You can argue all day long about this but when you go out and find that the big bull you had been scouting all summer was shot by some guy with a rifle because he thought he could get away with it, it won't make you feel better that he got caught.

When my Mother remarried when I was young my "step family" poached any chance they had. When Utah banned firearms on the bowhunt they didn't poach near as much. The law, very sadly I might add, works. I've seen it with my own two eyes unfortunately.

I'm not arguing to take our guns. Only that on a bowhunt somebody should only have a self defense type weapon on them and the others should be used another place and another time.

You had a good point earlier about a 10 inch barrel being able to bring down an elk at 200 yds. How do you limit that? I don't know, maybe it's something you just live with.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

It's the samewith poaching or any other law ever created. But if there aren't firearms in peoples hands when bowhunting, speciafically higher powered firearms, than whenthe average Joe that sees a world class Elk, Mulie, what ever he won't cross that line as easily. They made the law in the first place for a reason. The recipe is:hunters in the field, with an archerytag,nobody else around to see, with a high powered firearm. The temptation for a usually honest person is certainly there.
Yeah, except you can't get away with shooting an animal with a gun during bow season, because of this new invention that totally blows my mind away, a bullethole, which somehow is different than an "arrowhole".
You're not the brightest bulb on tree are ya? And quite frankly you're a smart a$$. I guess it's fun poppin off on the internet huh? Nobody can give you the butt whoopin you deserve.

Catchin a guy with an bullet hole in an animal doesn't do any good if the animal is already dead, you and I have already lost that animal. I don't want to see the guy in handcuffs, I want the animal still running around on the hill so I can hunt it.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

"If you wanted to hunt Archery you could not carry a firearm, that was YOUR OWN choice.
Just like ifI want to go into a court room I can not carry. That is my choice. "

Yes. I never carried a firearm while bowhunting the archery season. Now I legally can. I don't know that I will, but appreciate that I can in country with dangerous game. I archery hunt for the pleasure of archery hunting. If I choose to carry another weapon for self defense, that does not change the nature and expereience of the archery hunt for me--excepting a bit more weight to carry.

There have always been legal ways to hunt the woods during the archery hunt in Wyoming with a rifle. Poachers are innately dishonest. The dishonest will always find ways to try to circumnavigate the law.

Would like to hear more from the guys in states where this has been allowed for some time.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 AM

NVMIKE, Had coffie with a couple of ex G&F guys yesterday, I told them your friends story, unless he had Archery equipment with him there was no law to break, and no reason to write a ticket.
Sounds like another one that got away story.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

Catchin a guy with an bullet hole in an animal doesn't do any good if the animal is already dead, you and I have already lost that animal. I don't want to see the guy in handcuffs, I want the animal still running around so I can hunt it.
Well, if you don't put the guy in handcuffs, then lots more people are going to poach, the animal was "Sacrificed", so to speak, so that people would think twice before poaching, and they would let more animals "run around so that I can hunt it". So,yes, catching a guy with a bullet hole in the animal does do LOTS of good.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 PM

Gotlost - funny you mentioned before that appreciate no name calling, but because I disagree w/ you you call me a liar. I frankly dont appreciate it. I do have some news for you though if you ewant it from the horses mouth come on up and I'll introduce you to the guys son(he died from cancer a couple of years ago), although I REALLY suggest you not tell the guy his dad and I are liars, he probably wouldnt take it nearly as lightly as I do, he wouldnt just considerthe source and brush it off. Bottom line on this is that the constitution trumps ALL laws. YOU still have the choice, dont carry.but apparently thats not something you feel anyone else should have as you've made(or would like to make)that choice for them. Also dont be afraid to turn people in, thats what the 800 #s are for. One last point that addresses the fact that there aren't enough wardens....If they weren't out harassing guys standing in a river flyfishing, they would be MUCH more effective.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:12 AM

NVNIKE, I don't see were I called you a liar,but read into it anything you want . I took the info you gave and asked the people who should know. I told you what they told me. I added the (one that got away) stuff cause the storydid not wash.Sorry the guy passed on but you are the one who posted it not me. Did you post all the facts?
people can post anything they want on the internet and normally there's no way of knowing what is truth and what isn't.
why don't you tell Joe Gillbert or John Lund your story, all the story, Iknow at least one of themgoing fishing with us this summer other wise I'll seethem in Nov. and I'll askthem whatthey think.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.