Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming! >

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

There predators bears and lions ALL over the west. Anywhere is habitat for predators. They tranqulize a few out of our town... every year! But honestly, I am more disturbed by the two legged predators then the for legged predators everyday. Not only at home but in the field hunting. I haveheard way to many times confrontations taking place in the field. Some drunk rumaging thru your camp when you return, some jackassmaking an issue over a hunting spot that is considered "his", there are a ton of scenario's.Like others have said the last thing I am gonna do is use it unless I absoulutly have to.
To say that you can carry in the field is now going to lead to poaching is insane! Thats like saying If youbuy newtruck is goingto make you speed. It may happen but most of the law abiding hunters will see the benefits and not abuse them. There may be someone who trys it but it's hard to hide a bullet hole with a braodhead. Someone weather it be a game officer, a taxidermist, or another hunter is going to know it hasn't been shot with an arrow. Plus they haveways that detect gun powder. If it happens then so be it not anything we can do but sooner or later they will get caught. Weather we are allowed to carry or not is not going to stop a guy that really wants a trophy on his wall.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

Thats like saying If youbuy newtruck is goingto make you speed.
Finally, a guy who can make what the majority of hunters be translated in simple English, good analogy.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

"you guys that insist this is a 2nd ammendment issue . . . you're all idiots."

You might consider that a disagreement between ideas doesn't always equate to someone being an idiot. It is a 2nd ammendment issue to some. Within the next couple of months I'll have a permit to conceal carry. It is to deal with the two legged predators if necessary, not the four legged variety. Its fine to speculate that there might be an increase if firearms poached big game during archery only seasons, but I've seen no evidence to indicate that there has been a higher rate in states that do allow possession of a firearm during archery only seasons.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 AM

O.K. . . . Yous guys win! I give up.
Just can't reason when there's nothing but meat above the shoulders!
And if you're afraid of the boogie man . . . maybe you should just stay home. Please!

This is my last post. I will not read another response because all it is doing is raising my blood pressure. I've made my point . . . Most of you don't get it I guess, my fault.

Have a nice life.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 AM

Wow, I came into this one late but I'm glad to see that all you "meat above the shoulders", "afraid of the boogie man", "idiots" seem to be on the side of reason.

I can't help but chuckle when I read that signature at the end of each post: "He's a cute boy... But about as sharp as a sack of wet mice."
Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

To say that you can carry in the field is now going to lead to poaching is insane! Thats like saying If youbuy newtruck is goingto make you speed.
Acutally that's why they banned firearms on bowhunts in the first place. People"cheating" on the bowhuntwas getting out of hand.

You guys just don't get it.Actually most people wouldspeed if you bought a new sports car (truck in your analogy), IF YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD GET AWAY WITH IT. That's the problem with people in the backcountry, nearly all of them think they can get away with it and most are right. Again I agree with carrying a "pistol" (close quarter self defense type weapon), just not a "rifle" (long range hunting firearm).
Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Wow, I came into this one late but I'm glad to see that all you "meat above the shoulders", "afraid of the boogie man", "idiots" seem to be on the side of reason.

I can't help but chuckle when I read that signature at the end of each post: "He's a cute boy... But about as sharp as a sack of wet mice."
The guy here in Idaho must not have had much meat above the shoulders. The bear went for his legs and torso.

Afraid of the boogie man, thats a good one. Far from it. After many close calls, I opted to carry a pistol. In Idaho you have been able to carry a pistol while bowhunting for as long as I can remember.

During our archery seasons, there is a bear rifle season and grouse hunters running around. I still here very few shots way off in the distance. I don't believe that you will even notice a difference in Wyoming.

Poaching in the back country, I don't believe is an issue. I think the last thing a poacher would want to do is have more ground to cover in the open.

I worked with the Fish and game department several years ago as a reservist. Almost all the incidents that I helped the officer investigate involved tire tracks and quick get aways. The poachers were more ofthe oportunistic type and usually seemed pretty lazy by nature. I am done posting on this topic as well, and feel great with a 44 if I need it!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Just can't reason when there's nothing but meat above the shoulders!
And if you're afraid of the boogie man . . . maybe you should just stay home. Please!

This is my last post. I will not read another response because all it is doing is raising my blood pressure. I've made my point . . . Most of you don't get it I guess, my fault.

Have a nice life.

I don't think it's us that "don't get it". We aren't scared of anything(including but not limited to... the boogie man ). It'smore along the lines of, We are prepared for anything. You don't want to carry? Then that's fine, It's your decision. I am sure we could all care less if you are a satistic or not.

You guys just don't get it.Actually most people wouldspeed if you bought a new sports car (truck in your analogy), IF YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD GET AWAY WITH IT. That's the problem with people in the backcountry, nearly all of them think they can get away with it and most are right. Again I agree with carrying a "pistol" (close quarter self defense type weapon), just not a "rifle" (long range hunting firearm).
Having a truck or sports car does not make you a speeder. The guy behind the wheel makesthe speeder. It's all about decisions, If you want to speed thru a school zone or drive that vehicle drunk,then thats up to you. But, don't go crying to the judge when you run over a kid.
Just as,If someone makes the decision to poach. Then he should be prepared to face the music. You, or I, or the law is not going to matter if he pulls the trigger. Because, someonecarries a gundoes not make them a poacher. The man behind the gun makes him a poacher.
I have spent alot of time and know alot of guys that live in the backcountry. I am thinking hard on this one, but,no one I can think of has ever brought up the notion of poaching. None have ever brought up shooting an animal out of season or with the wrong weapon. I am not sure how many is "nearly all" but I know ALL of the guys I am thinking of, would come alot closer too turning in a poacher then ever putting the sights on an animal.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Having a truck or sports car does not make you a speeder. The guy behind the wheel makesthe speeder.
I agree with that 100%. You guys know that my arguement isn't a blanket statement saying that EVERYONE will abuse this right? I'm only talking about a few bad apples ruining for the rest of us.

I am not proud to say this but I know several "hunters" that will "stretch" the law when they get the chance because they aren't great hunters so they rarely harvest animals. So when an animal is in front of them their adreneline takes over and they do down right unethical things, and a few of the guys I know are otherwise good people in society. One guy I know is a church going, good guy but I hunted with him once and never again. He shot an elk on private property,that we didn't have permission to hunt on,and when I expressed my disgust he couldn't understand the problem. He said, "it's not like I poached it." I said, "in my eyes you did." Same thing with this firearm thing will happen without some sort of restrictions in my opinion.

I'm not worried about most people. I'm worried about a few bad apples cheating and it's thatsimple. We can bury our head in the sand with our idealistic point of view or we can look at reality.

Again I agree with carrying a "pistol" (close quarter self defense type weapon), just not a "rifle" (long range hunting firearm). I can't think of one good reason why a guy should head off on a hunt with a bow over one shoulder and a rifle over the other.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Double Post. Delete.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.