Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming! >

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

ORIGINAL: younggun243

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

Catchin a guy with an bullet hole in an animal doesn't do any good if the animal is already dead, you and I have already lost that animal. I don't want to see the guy in handcuffs, I want the animal still running around so I can hunt it.
Well, if you don't put the guy in handcuffs, then lots more people are going to poach, the animal was "Sacrificed", so to speak, so that people would think twice before poaching, and they would let more animals "run around so that I can hunt it". So,yes, catching a guy with a bullet hole in the animal does do LOTS of good.
Of course I want the guy to get caught, my point was prevention instead of punishment. This seems like an elementary conversation though, if you'd read closer you'd see what I'm saying and not......what I'm saying.

Unfortunatelythough with the punishment theory ismost poaching incidents go unnoticed. That's the sad thing about this deal, we'll never really know it's true effects. I only know that poaching will increase.

I don't think this is a constitution issue because no one is arguing to take away guns, just that there is no place for "HIGH POWERED" firearms on a bow hunt. 95% of us will obey the law and do what is right. The other 5% will take advantage of the "softer" law and the 95% majority will suffer for it to one degree or another.

This shouldn't be the hot topic it is however, everybody has expressed an opinion and that's ok. I just hope that cooler heads prevail and that the fallout is minimal.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

...just that there is no place for "HIGH POWERED" firearms on a bow hunt.
What do you consider "high power". Because a 44 rem mag is pretty dang powerful. A 454 Casull is even more powerful. A 475 Linnebaugh (sp) is more powerful yet. A 460 S&W is yet even more powerful. Then comes the 500 S&W as the most powerful. Then you have revolvers that are chambered for cartridges like the 444 Marlin and 45/70.

With the exception of possibly the 44 mag all of these can easily kill elk at 200 yards and more.

Obviously IMHO it is every bit a constitutional issue as the AWB. It is restricting law abiding gun owners the right to bear their arms.

95% of us obey all the laws (at least the ones we are aware of)any way but criminals still break into houses, rob convienance stores, steal firearms and use them to commit crimes, murder people with firearms, etc... etc... To me this topic is no different than the government attempting to restrict what law abiding gun owners can posess when driving down the street in their privately owned vehicle because of the few criminals that could care less what laws are written on the books.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

...just that there is no place for "HIGH POWERED" firearms on a bow hunt.
What do you consider "high power". Because a 44 rem mag is pretty dang powerful. A 454 Casull is even more powerful. A 475 Linnebaugh (sp) is more powerful yet. A 460 S&W is yet even more powerful. Then comes the 500 S&W as the most powerful. Then you have revolvers that are chambered for cartridges like the 444 Marlin and 45/70.

With the exception of possibly the 44 mag all of these can easily kill elk at 200 yards and more.
I mentioned this in an earlier post and like I said that's a good point, I don't know if it's a wording in the law you would put in or you just live with that.

Obviously IMHO it is every bit a constitutional issue as the AWB. It is restricting law abiding gun owners the right to bear their arms.
I don't want to get into a big issue here, the right to bear arms to me means I have the right to own guns and use them where appropriate. I'm comfortable with the fact you can't have a gun in a school, courtroom, or on a bowhunt (In Utah). That does not affect my constitutional right in my opinion but it's ok that you disagree. I would rather you disagree on the side that you are as opposed to the other side. To me this isn't a real big deal, I only wanted to offer up my opinion and that's it. There are a lot more important issues out there.

95% of us obey all the laws (at least the ones we are aware of)any way but criminals still break into houses, rob convienance stores, steal firearms and use them to commit crimes, murder people with firearms, etc... etc... To me this topic is no different than the government attempting to restrict what law abiding gun owners can posess when driving down the street in their privately owned vehicle because of the few criminals that could care less what laws are written on the books.
I've covered this ground and I guess you didn't read my posts responding to you on this. You won't ever stop premeditation, I agree with that. My concern is temptation that wouldn't normally be there. People that wouldn't poach in premeditation will poach with the opportunity in front of them.Shooting a trophy class animal with a weapon they shouldn't be using when they have a tag in thier pocket is a huge temptation, a lot of guys would do it. The guys that sets out to poach won't change, it'll just make it easier for him to do it.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:33 PM

you guys are lucky at least you can carry side arms, (hand guns), We can pack a rifle , but that is an inconveinence, to have to pack a bow and rifle, our canadian gov needs to be more like yours, and allow sidearms
Old 04-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Hey! That's a step forward in my opinion. We can carry a pistol here in Montana while bowhunting. I trust lead over spray any day.

When I lived in Oregon you had to have a concealed carry permit to have a pistol on your person while bow hunting. Communism I say, real sorry situation as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just watched the news tonight and another Idahoan got mauled by a griz on the Oregon border. Aint no way I am ending up in a pile of scat!!!!! After getting pushed from my sleeping bag by a blackie, No way I am going to leave the pistol at home. After being stalked by a lion, aint no way I am leavingit at home either. I have never had to use it, but it sure feels good laying in the backcountry under the stars with a little extra insurance when the wolves start to howl............
Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 PM

Sure! . . . Fine! . . . Carry any "preditor protection" you want!

IF YOU'RE IN PREDITOR COUNTRY!

My point exactly. No problem if they had limited the firearm cal. to knockdown sidearm(s) AND . . . limited the reg to those areas known for having dangerous game. But they didn't! They just said, "carry a gun while bowhunting . . .is O.K."

And you guys that insist this is a 2nd ammendment issue . . . you're all idiots. Nothing more than keeping an old and sanctified sport (bow hunting) in it's purest form. You guys probably don't even like the idea that archers get their own season(s)!

I'm very curious to see what this does in the field this fall.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

game4lunch...it's peoplelike you that were helping Canadians fight for their rights to bear arms. You just don't get it!

I've carried a gun for protection on and off for 32 years. I've never pulled it on anyone, and I've never poached an animal with it.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:17 PM

its because of people like him that we can't carry here!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just because I carry a pistol im my pack doesn't mean that I am not bowhunting in the purest form. That is a slim margine fromsaying that a person will use the firearm in the act of hunting. No way no how in my world. It is there to cover my butt from any other situation that may arise outside of my hunt. My pistol ONLY leaves my pack at night and sleeps in my bag with me.

Where would anyone draw the lines at where danger may be. Heck we have cougar running around on playgrounds here in the city during the winter months, and bears being removed from power poles in peoples backyards. If it legal in a state that has the potential for dangerous game, then where would you put the boundaries, most likely at the state borders. Kudos to those that got the laws passed.

On another note, I think that meth lab guards and pot field growers might also fall under the category of dangerous predators....................who are packing plenty them selves.........

Quick Reply: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.