HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/186008-bowhunting-gun-now-wyoming.html)

Elkcrazy8 03-26-2007 11:31 PM

RE: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!

I don't think that a true poacher is going to burden himself carrying a multitude of weapons and be hiking through the back country. Most will probably hit and run from the road or keep things as to make a fast getaway.

Will there be a temptation for some, probably so. But these are the guys that are probably bending the rules already.

If there is problems that are leading to population problems caused by humans, there is a better chance of doing something other than limiting law abiding citizens right to protect themselves,

Many states have organizations that lobby for and against laws that effect our resources. I am not pointing fingers at anyone with this next statement, but I hear so many people in my area complain about what has happened to the environment, yet they sit around and do little to speak their opinion when the laws are being lobbied, that is when the real difference can be made.

Obviosly some voices must have been heard in Wyoming to force a change in the laws. Our state organizations here in Idaho have developed a close relationship with Fish and game and have bent their ear to listen to the concerns of the sportsmen. I know for a fact that we have changed the way things are done in the past, and I will continue to support the groups that fight for what I believe in, even if it means dressing in camo and standing on the steps of the capital building to get my point across.

We have been handed down awesome opportunities, and I believe that it is our right to keep it that way for our kids and their kids. If you believe that something wrong has been done, then speak out and try to change it.

usa 03-26-2007 11:38 PM

gotlost, I think you are putting too much thought into this, you're confusing bowhunters with poachers, I've bowhunted for over 50 yrs and as a group archers are the most ethical and dedicated of all the hunters generally in my opinion. As far as lead flying while you are bowhunting it shouldn't happen unless someone is in troubleor the occasional idiot decides he's bored. I've carried my .44 hidden in my backpak for years never once having to take it out, I was more than willing tocarry itillegally to reassure me if I were lost for a couple of days or give me a morale boost when hunting in grizzley country after the rangers came to our camp and told us there was an aggressive bear on our mountain and six more working the river in sunshine canyon. Have a little more faith in your fellow bowhunters, from everything I've seen and read most of the poaching is most likely your neighbors or drillers in the oil field, relax it won't have hardly any impact on the deer herd, good hunting

huntnmuleys 03-27-2007 12:02 AM

actually, our Bowhunters of Wyoming club tried to fight this, limit it to areas that have grizz and wolves, but we were quickly shot down. they were gonna pass it no matter what.
i dont know what in the hell youd needa rifle for in at least half or our state.

if bowhunting means something to ya here, and ya want to be heard on things like this, i recommend ya join Bowhunters of Wyoming. its a great club. this year we got 15 more days of archery antelope hunting in a good number of new areas, and are pushing for that to be statewide next year. we havea good repoire with the game and fish. i think many of you wyoming hunters would do well to join, hell its only $15, a small price to pay to be heard.

Archer18 03-27-2007 12:13 AM

Hmm, my bow weighs enough to carry a rifle and a shotgun with me as well! I don't think you need to worry about this to much.

gotlost 03-27-2007 02:11 AM

usa what I do see is the good bow hunters will start to get a bad name, by the way I have killed deer and antelope with a bow. I gave up bow hunting about 15 years ago. to many irons in the fire and something had to go.
As you said most bow hunters are top noch hunters,
The last I checked I think the success rate for Archers was around 16% for elk in wyo. I'll bet that is about to go up.

bigbulls 03-27-2007 06:13 AM

Bigbulls, if you happen to have a carry permit, you may want to read the back of the card or the paper work that comes with it. pay attention to the area that states where you can not carry a firearm!
Schools , government meetings, courtrooms ect.

this is not about the 2nd amendment.
I know where I can and can not carry.

My point is that any laws that restrict law abiding citizens of this country ability to have firearms at their disposalis an infringement of our 2nd amendment right. From air planes and courthouses to the back country woods if you can't carry in these places then it is an unconstitutional law... PERIOD!

Which makes it all about the 2nd amendment.

BareBack Jack 03-27-2007 07:33 AM

Gotlost,
Montana has had the right to carry a gun while bow hunting for years and the % of elk killed is still about 20%.

I see where you guys are comming from,I have hunted all over this state.You generaly see guys carring guns in bear country.The farther east ya go the less you see some pack'in.
The other thing if they are bowhunting elk why in the heck would they be toting a shotgun for grouse,kinda defetes the purpose right.
The other is as Archer 18 pointed out,who want's to pack a 8 pound rifle AND a bow,the ones that poach generaly don't get off the road.
Montana has a 1-800 Tip # to turn in poachers,can't you guys do the same?
Also the ones that are pack'in were probaly were anyways,you just never notice.
The ones that are poaching will do it no matter what,archery,rifle,spring,summer,fall,night or day.

I feel it's a good thing to have the right.
BBJ

younggun308 03-27-2007 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

Our G&F and legislators have passed a law that wil allow a bowhunter to carry a gun with them while bow hunting.
No limit on caliber. ANY GUN! Primary reason: "To protect the hunter from Grizz and/or Wolves while bow hunting."
You can also carry a shotgun if you want for upland game birds like Grouse.
I don't like this at all . . . and nobody that can do anything cares.
What do y'all think? If you don't like it, p.m. me and I'll get you the G&F's numbers or even the Governor!
Well, looks like you can turn from Game4lunch to Lunch4game, but not me, and most people on HNI.

rather_be_huntin 03-27-2007 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

[Well, looks like you can turn from Game4lunch to Lunch4game, but not me, and most people on HNI.
Clever...but not very funny.

I think if there were some limitations then it would make sense, but being able to carry ANYcaliber isn't the best way to go in my opinion. It should be limited to "self defense, close quarters" type firearms. To me any pistol or shotgun would be fine but no rifles should be toted.

I've heard the "those that are going to poach are already doing it theory" but most crimes are a crime of opportunity. The more opportunity a guy has the more he's gonna do it.

bigbulls 03-27-2007 02:45 PM

To me any pistol or shotgun would be fine but no rifles should be toted.
So you are fine with a S&W performance center 460 or 500 with a 10 inch barrel? These guns are easily 200 yard elk medicine. Or how about my shotgun with a rifled barrel firing Winchester supreme 385 grain 45 caliber nosler partition golds at about 2000 fps?

I think if there were limitation on the kinds of guns we could all own to begin with then we, as law abiding citizens of a free country,wouldn't be able to commit any kind of gun related crimes at all.......... Sound familiar????????? Lets beat the anti's to the punch and go ahead and limit ourselves from owning and using our own firearms. I am sure they would love that. [:'(][:@]

I've heard the "those that are going to poach are already doing it theory" but most crimes are a crime of opportunity. The more opportunity a guy has the more he's gonna do it.
I have all the oportunity in the worldto walk right out in to the shop and shoot the next person that walks through the door with a number of different firearms. Does that mean I am going to do it???? Of course not. This is a very lame argument you have tried to make here and holds about as much water asa pasta strainer. Same for everyone else here that opposes this law change.