HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Choose the best camo pattern for Elk in Colorado... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/185519-choose-best-camo-pattern-elk-colorado.html)

Campo 03-21-2007 08:09 PM

Choose the best camo pattern for Elk in Colorado...

I bought meself a jacket and pants in Predator Evolution, but the more I look at it, the more it seems like it will "blob" up at a distance. Then again, I have seen many Elk taken with people who wear Mossy Oak, which is perhaps the most "bloby" of the patterns. Take a look at the link below, and tell me if you think that the Evolution pattern is too concentrated. Also, if you had to choose another pattern from the link, which would it be?
http://www.predatorcamo.com/patterns.html

elkbane 03-21-2007 08:59 PM

RE: Choose the best camo pattern for Elk in Colorado...

You are right about mossy oak being a bit "blobby" from a distance, but people do still take elk in mossy oak. I don't think any of Predator's patterns have that problem. They all seem to break up very nicely. I have a buddy who uses Fall Grey, and it's very tough to see him when he gets in the shadows. Other ones you might want to check into would be Cabelas Outfitter, Ridge Ghost, and ASAT. That being said, it can be very easy to get caught up in the hype of having to own the "best" camo, and I am as guilty of this as anyone. Any camo that does a decent job of breaking up your outline should be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to wear any of the Predator patterns on an elk hunt (except for the winter white)

gselkhunter 03-22-2007 04:13 AM

Most of the patterns out there were made for back east. Most of them are also made for sitting still and being seen at close distance. I found some generic camo at a sewing shop that serves me better than any of the high dollar stuff for elk hunting. It is large patch green, brown and black. If I had to compare it to anything old WWII green camo. But to kill elk all you have to do is blend in, not disappear. Staying the shadows is an important part of the game, because if you walk out in the sun you spotlight your self anyway.
Gselkhunter

txhunter58 03-22-2007 05:00 AM

I have always believed that the best camo pattern is the one on sale! Still believe that. My current pattern is outfitters camo. When people say that a camo pattern "blobs" out at a distance, so do trees, bushes, etc.

cherokee_outfitters 03-22-2007 05:25 AM

100% Natural gear camo. Alot of the others are made for back east. It's absolutely the best camo I've seen for the rocky mountains.

RMA 03-22-2007 06:37 AM

I use ASAT 3 D...had a 300 class bull at 8 yards in MT last year look right thru me. The only shot I had was at his head and had to pass. It was SWEEET!

frontier gander 03-22-2007 07:28 PM

Ive worn blue jeans, hunter orange hat and vest and never had a problem. With elk, scent is the most important thing to try to cut down on.

ironranger 03-25-2007 03:03 PM

I started using Natural Gear and like the pattern for most any hunting I do. I have old camo that I still use and still believe that movement and scent will give you away alot faster than camo...

Howler 03-25-2007 05:43 PM

I prefer predator camo myself, BUT as many have suggested, a guy can use about any of them and be successful. The wind will ruin the hunt before the wrong camo will!

game4lunch 03-25-2007 06:55 PM

Elk will stand there and stare at you for what seems to be hours. Only to slowly turn their head and stroll off while grazing.
But if they smell you, they're gone! Elk believe their eyes and ears, but they rely on their nose!
Camo companies have yet to see the profit in producing "conifer" patterns. Would be nice! But ubtil then, we've used most popular patterns over the years including army surplus gear, and have seen little or no difference. They just don't see the green lightwaves. BUT! They DO see light intensity. The kind of thing laundry detergent companies brag about. "Brighter brights", etc. So I never use commercial detergent. Instead, I use a soap specially made for laundering hunting clothes. It has no UV brighteners. I can't remember the name, but you'll find something comperable at Wally World or sporting goods stores.
Remember, our dads, grand dads, and on took a lot of game before all these camo patterns came along.