Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Choose the best camo pattern for Elk in Colorado... >

Choose the best camo pattern for Elk in Colorado...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Choose the best camo pattern for Elk in Colorado...

Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choose the best camo pattern for Elk in Colorado...

Iwear alot of Praire Ghost Sage brush for pants,and a camo shirt of some sort,MOB,Evulutoion,Predator deception,Cabelas conifer.I never were the same top and bottoms.I have yet to have a elk spook from my camo,but they have been so close I can see inside their nostrils.
When you can see the drops of water on their nose,and count eye lashes.I figure my camo and scent control is working.
Use what is avalible and keep in the shadows will help alot.
BBJ
Old 03-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ihave been using Predator for years and wanted something that would work early in leavesas well as on the open prairies afew years ago, after discussionwith the canadian predator distrub. and much inner debateI settled on Evolution sight unseen. When my package arrived I was very unsure and felt the exact same as you. My partner didn't help me any either bycommenting it was way to yellow and was positive I would look like a beacon at distance. Though I can report it has worked exactly how I had hoped andthe samepartner (who is a Nat. gear guy) bought his own set of Evolution last year! It isn't my most used predator but works great for the main reasonI bought it archery elk season which consists of mixed trees/forest, lots of hazel brush, willows, meadows/natural grass and some agriculture fields. It works well while hunting prairie/grasslands, my secondary reason for buying it!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the predator "Winter White" was perfect, but the green one in the treestand was definately too much.

I like Advantage Timber, or Realtree HD.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

I have started using the Cabela's Seclusion 3D camo, that came on the market a few years ago. Seems to have the light and dark tones that reallyblendinto anything except really black timber. If I go into the balck timber (which I don't do often) I'll wear the ASAT camo. It really does a good job of erasing the human silouette. Have had elk walk up to me under 10 yards.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck with it Jeff.I wear a combo of whtever dark camo I have. I like the darker camos with no or not so much light colors because dark colors soak up the available light and make me blend in with the dark of the forest or where ever. Once in PA while wearing plain old army camo I laid down next to atrail and two hunters walked right by me and never saw me. Last spring near Pagosa Springs while wearing some old Trebark camo I sat next to a tree and 25' away three ATV'ers pulled in parked, walked, around, talked loudlythen left. They never saw me.I wear a lot of old Trebark, some Army camo, some Realtree that I bought and some Realtree I was given a friend intheir copr office.

Actually I think if the camo has no light coloring then any brand is good.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

NatGear SCII is the best IMO for archery and early season rifle hunts. It's a very versitile open camo patern that will work anywhere. Weather it be the open sage or the high country timber.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Yup i wore Advantage timber in open country with sage brush all over. The only time a deer ever saw me is when i tried shooting him with my range finders and couldnt get a reading and the swearing started. I was hunting with a flintlock and needed to know the yardage.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:38 PM

unless your bow hunting it does not matter too much. . .your camo is gonna be covered with lots and lots of orange . . . .that way when the sun comes up you can see who will be shooting at you if you move . . . .
Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 PM

I have hunted and killed many elkin CO, NM, and MT and wear either old Army BDU stuff (woodland pattern) or whatever wool pants I have available for the hunt. Clothing (camo pattern) is of little importance! Your scent and your movement will make or brake you. IMO, wear whatever you have, just watch when you move and the wind. Jeans and a brown t shirt have served me well during early bow seasons.Camo is nice and we all have some, but I am sure it is not absolutely necessary for a successful hunt.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:55 AM

SOme up and coming new Camo, I would like to see tested
http://www.hyperstealth.com/ecoflage/

I use Woodland Camo, and a little bit of every thing else. the wind is the key!!

Quick Reply: Choose the best camo pattern for Elk in Colorado...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.