Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 what to do if i get an antelope? >

what to do if i get an antelope?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what to do if i get an antelope?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:37 PM

Default what to do if i get an antelope?

This may be a dumb question but, if I get a goat can I skin it out and quarter it up in the field or do I have to take it in whole for registering? Never been to wyoming so I am not sure what to do. thanks in advance for any and all help.....ttl
Old 03-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what to do if i get an antelope?

As far as I know Wyoming still does not require it to be whole or even checked in. Once you get an antelope the first thing you want to do is field dress and skin it and get it cooled down.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year in Wy......hauled her back to the truck and then camp and then skinned her and quarterd her and then into the cooler.....then the freezer.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:27 PM

if you want to mount it, be xtra carefull with the cape. when your bullet hits the goat the hair will blow off of it. so be very carefull with the hide. your a taxi right, brind a tub for making a pickle, skin flesh turn and thow in the pickle. antelope hides are the worst for slipping i have ever seen. have fun
Old 03-14-2007, 06:53 PM

if you have an any sex tag you don't have to leave proof of sex if you have a doe tag you need to leave an utter on the hind quarters.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:52 AM

Wyoming G&F requires you to first, fill out and attach yout tag to animal. Best is on horns or as I do, through a slit cut in lower leg. You don't have to "register". As mentioned, get it skinned, washed down, and chilled A.S.A.P. for maximum eating enjoyment.
The hair on an Antelope will pull off very easy, so don't drag it to the truck or one side will be bald. If you have a game cart, bring it. Or carry it!

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

The tag does need filled out "before leaving the scene of the kill." It doesn't have to be on the animal while intransit (ie, put it in your pocket if not on the animal) and make sure it is attached to the carcass after transit.

You'll find antelope is as good as any meat can be, if it is cared for.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wyomingtrapper

The tag does need filled out "before leaving the scene of the kill." It doesn't have to be on the animal while intransit (ie, put it in your pocket if not on the animal) and make sure it is attached to the carcass after transit.

You'll find antelope is as good as any meat can be, if it is cared for.

i humbly disagree.

you will find antelope meat to be BETTER than other game meat if properly cared for
Old 03-15-2007, 07:16 PM

Amen Antelope brother! I get so tired of friends and family that bring their goats home so they can have "50 pounds of jerky!" In our house, it's much prefered over deer.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:31 PM

My family will take antelope over deer and elk any day.

Quick Reply: what to do if i get an antelope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.