Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 what to do if i get an antelope? >

what to do if i get an antelope?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what to do if i get an antelope?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what to do if i get an antelope?

i will too.

especially if its been eating alfalfa. makes it the best there is.

antelope is the one i save to cook for company, social functions and the like. when i REALLY want to make a good impression.

hasnt failed me yet.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

How big is an antelope??

Sorry for the dumb question, my "huge" experience with antelope is watching them walk around while on vacation out west

I've shot whitetails that dress out at close to 200lbs and 1 elk. My guess based on size afoot is antelope run in the 90-150 lb range??
Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 AM

A big buck may go 120lbs live wieght, you'll end up with about 40 lbs of boned meat,
Old 03-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you like the taste of Sage then Antelope is good.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:58 PM

no need to think too much about it ,there are no rules about how youtreat a preyin my country,i always do what i want to it, all for a nice dinner with beer haha

[email protected]
Old 03-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like the same thoughts my taxidermist told me when I told him I'm heading out west year after next... "Antleopes don't even need a reason to slip" is what he told me... Get that thing on ice fast!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

"If you like the taste of Sage then Antelope is good."

Somebody doesn't know how to take care of, and prepare, prarie goats.... I've eaten alot of antelope and have NEVER had a sagey or gamey taste. I've fed it to avowed antelope meat eaters who thought it was some of the best mule deer they'd ever had.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 PM

I've had antelope that was exceptional, and I've had it so bad the dog puked on it. I dont believe it's so much how its cared for as what its been eating(alfalfa or sage brush). Just like beef, if you go shoot some old cow off the range in the sage flats near Rawlins its going to taste like crud[:'(], if you go get one from the feed lot thats been fed corn for 60 days its going to be great.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys:
Speed goat is good eating but my favorite way is in seasoned and ground meat like any kind of sausage. It make the very best sausage bar none.
For the hair slippage -- The hair pulls out very easily even if it is still fresh. This is a defensive mechanism for pronghorns. The premiss is when a predator gets ahold of a mouth full of hair during the attack, he gets just that, a mouth full of hair and the lope runs off with a bald patch that will grow back in a few weeks. It's just as important to their survival as their speed and eyesight.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

In my experience hunting antelope.Be sure to get the animal to the truck as soon as possible. When you get back to camp, peel the skin ASAP and put it on ice in a cooler. For this we usually freeze gallon milk jugs of water. This seems to keep frozen longer then bagged ice or even ice blocks.
You must leave proof of sex on one quarter which is the udder or the nut sack attached to the inside but aside from that I skin the quarters and knock the legs off at the knees. Definitly try to keep the meat clean and free of hair.A quartered mature antelope will fit in a medium size cooler no problem.
There are often check in stations that the DOW sets up in certain towns. I know there is one where we go but it's pretty painless. Just follow the instructions on the tag you will be fine.
I would recommend getting therethe day the season opens and hunting the first weekend. From then on it just keeps getting worse. When most guys start getting impatient they start to drive around. This makes the antelope very spooky!! They are gone if they see youat half mile. My best advise is to climb up on a rise along a good trail area and wait. When 9 o'clock gets there and you are thinking about leaving... STAY! Because every other hunter in the area is thinking the same. Soon they will be driving around and push goats right over you.
A prime example of this is 2 years ago we hunted the first weekend and I shot both mine the AM of the first day... both at under 100 yards. Last year we went up two weeks into season and couldn't get closer then 600 yards ona stalk. We didn't fire a shot.
Antelope hunting is a riot!Thats one hunt I wouldn't miss for the year. Its a big family get together that we often shoot 25 or 30 antelope in the week. Its fast paced and exciting!! The nice thing is it's an easy hunt. One of the guys that goes is almost 80 and he has no problems.

If your worried about the taste stop in Chuckwater (north of Cheyenne) and get some "Chugwater chili mix", grindyour goat up and use it in chili! I have ate at 5 star resturants that don't come close to comparing to antelope chili. GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply: what to do if i get an antelope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.