Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

stoves

Old 03-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Spike

Default stoves

Just wondering what stoves everyone uses for their wall tents. i purchased a tent and was looking for a stove. Thanks all the info will be a big help.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:39 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: stoves

Cook stoves or heating stoves?

Cooking for Main Camp:
2 - Coleman small camping stoves (burners 7-10,000 btu), good for fine tune cooking, simmering, etc.
1- Large Cabelas3burner (20,000 or so each burner) for hard core (skillets & griddles) cooking, coffee
1 - 40,000 btu single burner(for heatingdishwater/rinsewater)
1 - 170,000 btu "turkey fryer" burner for heating shower water
1 - small, fold up, stove top, minioven

Heating for Main Camp:
1 - [Mess hall] - Medium size Davis wood burning cylinder stove with coal grateand warming tray(Corn cobs in kerosene for kindling/starting) and 1 - Double Mr. Heater to kick start warming up the mess hall in the morning.

1 - [Sleeping Area] -50,000 btu propane stand alone "farm stove" with Eisenglas and Fire Clay and "Robert Shaw" thermostat --- home sweet home.

1 - [Outhouse Tent] - Propane lantern on stubby propane tree on 25 pound propane bottle, sits in the corner, light, heat, warm toilet seat --- home sweet home.

Spike Camp:
1 - Small Davis wood burning cylinder stove with coal grate, warming trayand "hang on the side" water jacket with spigot [the latter is way more handy than I would have ever expected for spike camp]

1 - 40,000 btu single burner for heating water first thing in the morning when the wood stove may be cold.
================================================== =

Note 1: Buddy Heaters --- I own a Buddy Heater with the low oxygen sensor.... mistaken purchase.... I leave it at home.... totally unreliable, neighboring group from Michigan ran into the same problem, fickle at 9,000 ASL and/or with high winds.... IMHO, if you want HEAT and lots of it without condition, then don't get a Buddy Heater, get something low tech with a good flue to the outside.

Note 2: Fuel --- 2 one hunded pound bottles of propane, 10 twenty pound bottles of propane, 20 one pound spin on cartridges for lanterns (7), 1 fifteen pound propane bottle (pannier friendly)for spike camp. Coal: about 10 pounds to fire it up just once so I can smell that nostalgic smell from when I was a kid, okay for a couple hours and then yuck, enough of that. Wood: while we take chainsaws along, we prefer to pick up our firewood cut and presplit near Craig. We considercamp set up timeand scoutingtime and our energy reservesto be too valuable to screw around with scavenging for firewood, especially if you have had rain/snow it is an unrewarding activity.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

EKM,

My family and I will tent camp this year for the first time. 16X23 wall tent, about 9000ft, third season in southern CO.

What do you think of using a 55 gallon drum kit from Northern tool for a heating stove? I was gonna get a used pellet stove from the barn...MUST keep the wife warm and happy at all costs...but, being the cheap SOB that I am, I thought this might be as good. Weight is not an issue.

thanks

Old 03-11-2007, 11:37 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....What do you think of using a 55 gallon drum kit from Northern tool for a heating stove?"
I don't know anything about it. Does it stand upright or lay horizontal? I think horizontal would be better.
My main concern would be the lack of thickness of the steel....
The only "thin metal stoves" I've heard folks talk about is the lite sheepherder stoves --- and some negative comments there.

#1 - Get what you are going to use and try it out with your tent in the back yard now while it is still cold outside.Personally I would go heavy duty. Ask RedRivrHunter, they use a lot of homemade stuff.

#2 - I recommend taking a second source of heat. I like the Mr. Heater Double Heater (no buddy anything) as a back up. If number one fails, then you have back up. If it gets really cold, then you have reinforcements. If you need to warm up the tent fast in the morning it will do it. Simple and quick. You CANNOT sleep with this on, but then there is all the rest of the time, besides, as much as wall tents breathe I doubt they would be a problem, we take both smoke and CO detectors just in case for overall protection
Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

THe drums are horizontal....comes with legs to bolt on , ya cut a hole in the end to put wood in, and cut a hole for the stovepipe. Yup, they are thin, but also easy to get.

I have one of those kazillion BTU thingys that sit on top of a propane bottle. They work nicely for warming stuff up in a hurry.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 AM

EKM your camp sounds very comfortable ,better then any cabin I have stayed in. I don't want to sound like I am inviting myself ,who am I kidding .I would love to camp in such comforts.goodluck to all.

[/align]
Old 03-12-2007, 07:41 AM

i wanna have the same thing hehe
Old 03-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

We use an apartment sized cook stove well, for a cook stove in the mess tent. (Along with a salvaged full sized fry griddle out of who knows what burger joint). But only recommend such if weight/work is not a limitation!!!
As for heat, I think I have posted pictures of the wood burners our resident welders put together. Heavy duty, w/legs and outside flu. Once again, only YOU are the judge as to whether the cost/weight/work is worth it. Cheap, practically disposable with the option to replace frequently appeals to my nature as well. Our wood burners work wonderfully in the wall tents. Personally, once the season starts I don't really care about such until when and if I kill something. I believe in extra warm sleeping bags where no fire is necessary, at least for me.
Otherwise, in too big of hurry in the mornings to start a fire and don't care, and in the evenings would rather spend what little energy is left sitting around a large campfire drinking adult beverages and spinning yarns!!!!
Once the deal is sealed, then fires are really nice and I like to keep them going. We usually take our wood as base camp is vehicle friendly and just don't want to spend precious time gathering/getting wood.

I will post some updated pics of the Texas Hillbilly's and our recent additions to Elk Kamp. (Including the shower!!!)

Each of us has our idea's of happy. We tend toward suiting our definition of exactly that very thing!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....I will post some updated pics of the Texas Hillbilly's and our recent additions to Elk Kamp. (Including the shower!!!)"
Private, warm water, warm air shower.... now you are talking sustainability and happiness in the elk woods with no need to go to town at all and no grunge factor.
We love our shower. The turkey fryer burner (170,000 btu) can heat water (100 degrees is JUST right, NOT 101, 100) as fast as our hunters can take their showers and get cycled thru.

Interesting, the sounds that come out of that shower!Dirt and sweat wash away and tired sore bones and muscles rejuvenate --- bliss indeed.Later when we're all sitting around in the evening, all clean withfresh clothes, loaded up on gourmet food andgood libation, and the storm howling outside ---- life is good. If the storm isn't howling outside, then cigars and cognac and sit and marvel at the carpet of stars in the sky on a moonless clear night, ah cigar is done, go back in, warm up, hit the left overs, refill.... priceless.

The kind of camaraderie that comes out of a tight, successful, elk camp tops my current huntinglist IMO,working the meat (field dressing and butchering and packing out with horses) comes second, and making the kill comes in a distant third; however, I must say an elk trip with a kill is more special than one without.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Damn......I am ready to go!
Here's hoping everyone kills first light of first day......then enjoy camp to the fullest!

I know some may have thought that the full cook stove is a bit extreme, but you might change your mind when you bite into some of my biscuits or better yet.......peach cobbler!!!

Quick Reply: stoves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.