Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

stoves

Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: stoves

We only have one 12x14 wall tent. We make an awning about 10x14 out the front of the tent. For warming the tent, we have an army surplus wood stove. It's about 18" around, and about that tall also. It works pretty good for that small of a tent. For cooking, we have a Cabelas Outfitters 3 burner stove (which is done in the awning). We carry 3 25lb propane bottles. One to run the stove, and one to run a lantern which sets on a tree coming off the bottle, and one as a spare. We don't have a spike camp set up yet, but I am sure it won't involve any source of heat, lol. As far as wood, we just cut some close to camp. Pretty easy, and gets us out anyway. We like to make sure we are in an area that has some deadfall, which isn't much trouble around here. Not too hard to find a bug-killed pinon or dead aspens, and in some cases white pine or douglas fir.

Later,

Marcial
Old 03-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Spike

hi, Thanks for all the replies. I just purchased a 12+16 tent from davis. I have a double burner propane heater. Looking at buying a heat stove. There are many to chose from. Was wondering if anyone has had problems with them warping.also do u think a wall tent breathes anough to use a propane heater all night. I also heard that propane heat makes more condensation, is that true. This will be my first year in a wall tent, been using a dome tent the last 3 years and it sucks.
Thanks again
Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: feddoc

THe drums are horizontal....comes with legs to bolt on , ya cut a hole in the end to put wood in, and cut a hole for the stovepipe. Yup, they are thin, but also easy to get.

I have one of those kazillion BTU thingys that sit on top of a propane bottle. They work nicely for warming stuff up in a hurry.
I used a 55 gal drum for a couple of years before I got a cyclinder stove. I think it's the hunter model.
the drum takes up to much space and space is always limited in a tent. they will also go through a lot more wood and burn faster.

this is in a 12x15
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ldjanos/IMG_1270.jpg
Old 03-13-2007, 09:34 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Looking at buying a heat stove.
Go back to Davis and get the medium size cylinder stove.

Was wondering if anyone has had problems with them warping.
Neither of my Davis cylinder stoves have warped and theyhave both gotten quite hot.

Do you think a wall tent breathes anough to use a propane heater all night.
Sigh, perhaps so, but don't do it! Your life is too valuable (I think) and hunting partners with any sense will be highly suspicious and rightly uncomfortable with the idea. Don't do it.

I also heard that propane heat makes more condensation, is that true.
Not if it is vented to the outside via a flue.
Your greatest source of condensation in a tent comes from not having a good floor in the tent thus leaving exposed earth.

This will be my first year in a wall tent, been using a dome tent the last 3 years and it sucks.
Set up your wall tent while it is still cold this spring and test out the details now before you are on aremote/away from home elk hunt. Soak the tent with the garden hose to tighten up the stitching so it won't leak but make sure it is 100% dry before youput it away. Get a good rain fly for it so your tentstay warmer andwon't besubject to ember burns from the stove.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 PM

listen to EKM he and I disagree on somethings but this anit one of them.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Elkkrazy.....
you get metal hot enough (stove), some warping will take place. Now if it's made out of thick metal, it will resist it better than thin metal. But if you are like most and only use it for a short period of time per year, you will make the call on whether it is of "value" for you to invest the extra money to get one that doesn't warp.
As for the condensation, all things being equal, the propane does put moisture back in the air, but if you vent it properly it will be minimal. Wood burning stoves actually pull moisture out of the air during the process. Either way, the beauty of the canvas tent is it's ability to "breathe"!!!!

I can tell you from personal experience, you can burn propane (Dearborn stove turned up with the flames coming out the front vents) all night long in a completely sealed tent (non-canvas, non-breathing) and live to tell about it. But let me assure you that if you have CO detecters in the tent, they will be going off after a couple of hours and you will have a headache and you will realize how stupid you were and that you are lucky to have not killed someone!!!!!! (Yup...been there, done that!)
Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the great info. Iwas not aware that a floor helps with condensation. Im thinking about tring to make a stove out of a piece of 16 inch stainless pipe. Thanks again.
Bill
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

I have the same tent from Davis and have the medium size cylinder stove from Davis with the water tank and heat tray. I have had this stove for 3 years and it works incredible. We have had the thing glowing red (my partner stoked it left the dampner open and fell asleep) and have had no problems what so ever. The thing comes apart and stores inside itself. The hot water tank is great and helps from the inside getting dried out.

One of the most important things is getting a rainfly to cover the roof. Your tent will be fine in the rain but the fly helps protect the roof from the hot embers that may make it on there. Spend a little money now and invest in something that will last thoughout the future. I have the trad pole setup and can put up this whole tent by myself.

You will love it

Don
Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

There you go.