HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   North to Alaska (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/183478-north-alaska.html)

Wolf killer 03-06-2007 12:33 PM

North to Alaska

I am heading to Alaska this spring for Black bear, Salmon & Halibut.
This will be my first time hunting out-of-state.I have a good selection of hunting gear. If you do not mind helpingme "pack my bags"? I would greatly appreciate it.
The number one item I brought on myfirst & only Alaska fishing trip?
Goodsun glasses. I wore them 95% of the time I was there. I would not have broughtsunglasses, if I was not toldto by or salmon outfitter. He saved my bacon.

What do I need that as a lower 48-state person I might not think of?

AkhunterTeen 03-06-2007 05:14 PM

RE: North to Alaska

bring multi-use clothing, such as waterproof gear, instead of a rain jacket, because space is usually at a minimum, also, bring a camera, tou never know what your gunna see, and the scenery is usually breathtaking

Fuzzyballs44 03-06-2007 09:28 PM

Help us out...I'm not from Alaska, but I am from the Northern Rockies and may be able to shoot you some things and ideas.

1. Where do you currently spend most of your time hunting?

2. What kind of gear are you already planning on bringing or what kind of gear do you already have?

3. What firearm are you taking??? *this one is purely curiousity :D

dayna0306 03-07-2007 07:55 AM

Number 1 is bens 100 bug dope ,number 2 would be a rain suit ,I don't mean a gortex suit I mean a thin shell plastic or rubber ,that you can carry with you all day every day.Good luck and cann't wait to see the photos.

[/align]

Red Lion 03-07-2007 11:34 AM

How about a thermacell with some replacement butane and pads?

Wolf killer 03-08-2007 11:08 AM

I have Cabela's MTO50 Rain Gear. Theyhave proven themselves on a verywet & coldmoose hunt. The outfitter will have a back-up set of rubber rain gear on board, if I need them?
I will bring a digital camera/camcorder, this camera worked well on our last vacation.
Ben's-100 is a must have item. I will take the small bottle I have & buy two more bottles for the trip. Thanks for the heads-up dayna0306.
I am not sure if a thermacell works when soakingwet? This isa spot & stalk bear hunt. I think Ben's-100 is the better choice on this hunt.

My hunting experience has been limited tothe lower 48-states.
Ihave hunted big game in Idaho, Montana & Wyoming.
My weapon of choice is a Ruger M-77 chambered in300-win mag. Topped with a Leupold Vari X-II 3x9x40mm. scope. ShootingNosler 200-grain Accubond bullets, these are handloads.This combonation has worked well in the past on elk. I am expecting the same results on black bear.

The only newitem I have purched for the hunt is Under Armour cold gear. I have never used Under Armour before? I hope it will preform as expected?I will bring smart wool, longjohn's as a back-up. I know smart wool works.

Thanks,
WK

AlaskaMagnum 03-09-2007 01:00 AM

You have a good start, also bring a headnet for mosquitos and make sure your dope is 100 percent Deet.

As for the smartwool, I use it and love it in the fall when I go way up north above the arctic circle. In the spring, I prefer fleece. It dries out quicker than wool. I think wool cuts the wind better than the fleece which is why I use it exclusivley in the fall.

Don Fischer 03-09-2007 07:45 AM

The best bug repellent I ever found up there I got in the Army surplus store. Came in a little OD green plastic bottle. 100% Deet! Anything less it bug candy!

dayna0306 03-09-2007 11:17 AM

I forgot ,If you need any help getting rid of some of that halibut call me.I wore neoprene waders alot with the outer shell of my thin pack boots with the packs removed.I didn't know how wet you can get till I camped in alaska.

[/align]

Fuzzyballs44 03-09-2007 12:25 PM

I use the X Under Armor, but I stick to Idaho for my hunts, and it's climate can be a lot drier....and warmer I would imagine.

I love the Under Armor....absolutely LOOOOVVVVEEE it is a better way of putting it. I especially like the tight form fitting mask and the gloves...but they won't be to protective against the eagle sized skeeters up north.

~Cam