Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 A picture of you in your "big game" territory! >

A picture of you in your "big game" territory!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A picture of you in your "big game" territory!

Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 AM

Default RE: A picture of you in your "big game" territory!

Fuzzyballs, that is Lone Mountain in the background of my picture, which is where both Moonlight Basin and Big Sky resort are. From this angle, I'm not sure whichresort those runs belong to. It's fun country to hunt in. It's a lot of work packing in, but the views are great and you can get away from the crowds lower down.

My parents live in Coeur d'alene, and I have fished the North Fork and Little North Fork of the Coeur d'alene river quite a bit. I must say that even though it may not have thesnobby "blue ribbon" status that some rivers in montana have, it is probably my favorite place to fly fish. It'srelatively easy to wade aroundand has beautiful scenery. Have you hunted elk in this drainage, or do you usually just stick to the St Maries area? It looks steep and tough, but I'm guessing it holds some good bulls.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 AM

My dad tells me stories of when he first got into farming seeing an elk was rare. He recieved no crop damage from them as they were strictly a bush animal. Now times have changed quite a bit as he wakes up to find 20 or so in his yard some mornings and loses 60acres 100% damage crop to then each year. The wildlife dept here says that all of the elk found in my area were within the first 1/2-3/4 mile of the bush when they fly it. SO thier patterns have definatley shifted over the years. Also elk predomintly found in our area which is heavily forested with breaks of farmland but they have exploded in the west part of the province as well as the south were it is more open farmland with draws and coulees. Our elk pop here is estimated at around 14000 and growing at 1000 a year. Down in the south the really took off in some areas because they were not allowed to be hunted and if they were it was draw only. A few good years for the elk and they had a depredation hunt this jan-feb tis year to knock them down a peg. Never heard of this ever happening in the past. Numbers are really taking off which is good for the hunters bad for the farmers.
as for swapping a hunt take a number lol. I have so many people on here i would love to take out but it is not legal as i am not a outfitter. All i can do is post pics and tell ya stories.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:51 PM

HEY BUDDIES!!! LET'S SEE SOME MORE PICTURES!!!

~Cam
Old 03-05-2007, 02:23 AM

Well now, we've seen a little SW Washington, how about a little NE Washington?

Loooots of pine trees. The Evergreen State definitely lives up to it's name.

I'm going to be out your way in 2008 looking for elk, Brush. Any tips on good places to go? Not necessarily looking for trophy bulls, but something with antlers would definitely be nice.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Woodland Caribou Stag in the wilds of Central Newfoundland.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Elk cow after quartering in South Central Colorado.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkey hunt in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Antelope in Northwest South Dakota

What it looks like where I live in Central SD.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got this buck in the bush. We do have wide open spaces also as this is mostly prairie country. I shot this one at 40yds but you can sometimes shoot up to 1000yds if so inclined.

Ron
Old 03-05-2007, 06:03 PM

Gardiner, Montana. My sons' and my favorite. Used to be elk haven, now wolf central.

As the crow flies, not far from elkbane's area, where we also like to go. If these horses made a sharp right and went 25 mileswe would run right over him. Er, well,we would steer them around him.

Great photo there, elkbane!

Thanks for the post. Ialways like photos of everyone else. Keeps me coming back and wasting more time in front of this computer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/dstzn/ElkJan2007010.jpg
Old 03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

A few pics of favorite areas and the bounty of the past season.

Quick Reply: A picture of you in your "big game" territory!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.