HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   how many shots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/182280-how-many-shots.html)

Hog Killer 02-26-2007 11:13 AM

how many shots

how many shots do you think it took to take down a buffalo

weatherby 338- 1, 2, 3, 4

300 WSM- 1, 2, 3, 4

the answer will be put on to this tread next Monday

Hiawatha 02-26-2007 11:28 AM

RE: how many shots

I can't imagine more than one. I spent a summer slaughtering buffalo on my uncles buffalo farm and never needed more than one shot out of my 7mm rem mag for any of them. Shots were 50 yards or so in between the eyes and an inch or so up. They all dropped on the spot and not so much as a kick, was quicker kill than a beef.

Don Fischer 02-26-2007 11:46 AM

If everybody thought one shotand then educated themselves on what that takes and then trained themselves to do it and then disaplined themselves to take only the shot that would do it with the cartridge and load their using; the 22 Hornet would fill the bill with one shot. Of course I don't recommend that but if you throw in chosing a cartridge and a bullet designed to suceede from reasonable angles, I can think of some I would do it with that might seem awfully small to some. How small? Well for anything over the size of a deer, I concider anything under 26 cal to small.

huntnmuleys 02-26-2007 03:42 PM

it only took me one with my bow, shouldnt have taken too many more with those weapons.

EKM 02-26-2007 06:35 PM

Statistically, it sounds like a sample size of only one, i.e. one incidence, two rifles, two hunters (maybe) being compared.... with apparently no consideration to:
= Variation in hunter field shooting ability
= Variation in will to live of the particular animal
= Possibility of the "poor" shot missing the "bread basket" and hitting CNS

.... the end result could be damn near anything.

I would personally opt for the 338-378 Weatherby (only 338 Weatherby cartridge I know of and always wanted one) however on a singular field hunting basis it would be no guarantee at all of any sort of field supremacy.

Now, with many buffalo harvested with each rifle, under similar circumstances (skilled shooters with no whimpy recoil sensitivity between them, "just right" bullet construction for each, and no CNS shots), I think you would see a fair difference in the average results regarding the animal's reaction to the bullet impact and the subsequent take down.

BTW,

"....the answer will be put on to this tread next Monday...."
Is that kinda like retreading a tire?

Don Fischer 02-26-2007 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: EKM

= Possibility of the "poor" shot missing the "bread basket" and hitting CNS

By the bread basket I assume you mean the heart/lung area? The bread basket to me is the stomach in which case a good shot is not in the bread basket. And the CNS means to me the Central Nervious System. That would be the spine or the brain in which case, the animal is going down right now.

Could you clarify this for me?

Rebel Hog 02-26-2007 11:48 PM

The American Bison was killed to the point of extinction with the .45-70. Heck, if they would have had the .243 they would have used it!:)

ShatoDavis 02-27-2007 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Hog Killer

the answer will be put on to this tread next Monday
:eek:Thats a little excessive, don't you think? Oh well I'm bored with this thread already! I don't even care if you post the answer.

rem250 02-27-2007 09:56 AM

Hunting Is Knowing
Your Abilities

Ability =Lots of practice
not just at the range on perfect benches/distances,
but in the woods with your stands or blinds. (they are not perfect benches)
The woods also have variables and obstacles: trees,bushes and limbs ect...
these are bullet deflectors. Deflected bullets are misses and/or wounded game.

When you become aware of all of these.......

Then we get to GAME FEVER this causes problems with nerves, rapid heart rate,
shaking,and some blindness to range and obstacles such as trees and limbs which
takes us back to bullet deflectors.(missed and/or wounded game)
The next thing is knowing what type of bullets to use for the game you are
hunting.
How much penatration, how much expansion, how much penatration
before expansion and how fast to expand.
(example .224 50 grain sx bullet with
muzzle vol.4000fps only penatrates1/2-3/4 inch explodes massive damage for next
3-4 inches with no exit on coyotes/deer)( .224 50 grain sp bullet with muzzle vol.4000fps
penatrates 1 inch with max. expansion in 3-4 inches exits with 1- 3 inch blowout)
(.284 139 grain sp bullet with muzzle vol.3000fps penatrates 3 - 4 inches before it starts
to expand max. expansion in 6 - 8 inches. 3/4 inch exit from12 inches of solid meat)

If you think about this a .284 139 grain sp bullet would travel 1/3 of the way through a
deer before it starts to expand (note: lung tissue is not solid meat either)

A better choice in bullets would be the .284 120 grain sp or hp for the faster expansion
it penatrates 1-2 inches, and starts to expand max. expansion in 3-5 inches 3/4-7/8 inch
dia. and pushes through about 12 inches of meat
(By the way reloads and hornady bullets) sp=spire pt. sx=super explosive hp=hollow pt.
BULLET CONSTRUCTION IS IMPORTANT TO CLEAN HUMANE KILLS ALSO!!!!!.
When you take practice, game fever, ammo/bullet construction, obstacles, and all
variables such as range/wind in to consideration before you pull the trigger then you
should have the
Ability and Confidence to make clean humane one shot kills on game.
PLEASE DON'T EXCEED YOUR ABILITIES AND CONFIDENCE!!!!!

MOST WEEKEND WARRIORS DON'T TAKE THESE THINGS INTO CONSIDERATION
THEY TAKE GUN OUT OF STORAGE A WEEK BEFORE SEASON, FIRE A FEW ROUNDS
JUST TO CHECK SCOPE. GO TO LOCAL GAS STATION, HARDWARE STORE, WAL-MART
BUY THE CHEAPEST AMMO THEY CAN FIND FOR THERE GUN AND JUST GO OUT
BLASTING. = (MISSED,WOUNDED AND/OR LOST GAME)!!!!

I know this is going to offend some people but things to think about before hunting
just my opinion thx

Don Fischer 02-27-2007 01:18 PM

That would be much easier to read without all that color. I keep getting drawn away by another color. So what did you say?