Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

The Zumbo saga goes on.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Zumbo saga goes on.

CBS attacked AR owners last night on "Cold Case"... See my thread here:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2017223
Old 02-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jones123

I agree with Zumbo, hunting with assault rifles is not in hunters best interest.HUGELY bad P.R. image, bordering on plain and simple dumb.
And I agreed with you until I learned more about them, and more importantly until I read everythinghe said.Zumbo actually called them terrorist weapons and said they should be banned from the field.

If you read the latest bill on the floor (posted nearby on another thread) it would ban an auto load shotgun simply because it has a pistol grip.

Our threat is not the anti-guns. They know the gun lobby is too powerful for a ban on hunting. However, let's say they get this pistol grip turkey gun banned. Then justwaita fewyears and introduce a small modification to that bill, convincing Joe non-hunter that this turkey gun is just as dangerous without the grip as it is with the grip. (Using our own argument against us - that it is the "same gun".) Now you have 3.5 inch auto load shotguns banned. Then its the 3 inch, and on it goes.

Same could be true for the AR. It is chambered in rounds very close to what we hunt with. Get it banned, then keep making small modifications to than ban until you get around to my plain jane bolt action .270.

Here's where I'm on your page,Losthwy . . . hunters do need to be aware of our image and police ourselves. Acting like we are in battle with the animals is hugely damaging. Wounding them and making little to no effort to retrieve them. Talking too much about the rack with no mention of the meat. Cheering and laughing about killing the varmints and how they explode on impact. Shootinginto herds or groups to see what drops.

A hunter with a bolt action .270 who acts like an idiot does a lot more damage to huntingthan a hunter with an AR who is respectfulabout his hunt, his game, and non-hunters.

Losthwy, please be careful with the Feds and people who say "ban". Many of them think they are actually helping this country out as they whittle away at our freedom. Each whittle is just a shaving until the stick is gone.
[/quote]

It seems as tho you have captured the essence of the cancer in our country that is liberalism. Dr Michael Savage would be proud of you for that summation above. The cancer starts slow...ban this little gun thing, ban that little gun thing, pretty soon we're like the Crown Colonies and Eastern Europe.

If I see a guy hunting with an AR SKS M16 Or 50 cal, I'll just give him a big ol SALUTE and a wave ... and continue minding my own business and not his. I just bought 4 guns in the last 4 weeks, and dont know when I'll stop...but it will not be because of the antigun commies in our government.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

i still say that it doesnt matter if ya like ARs or not, if we lose one, it wont be long til we lose more.

thats why i would not vote any of them out, rather i like em or not.....
Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Amen jones! Let's see here. The "assault"rifles were classified by among other things as having a pistol grip stock and a bayonet. When was the last time anybody heard of crime being committed with a fixed bayonet? And if you replace that short pistol grip stock with a thumbhole sniper stock it is no longer considered dangerous to society! With amazingly stupid mentalities like these, any weaponcould be next on the ignorants agenda to ban. We cannot give an inch or we will lose a mile. Just look at Canada and England.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, do you guys like to be in the huntingwoods with hunters using Street Sweepers, Mac 10's, Semi Auto's with 30 RD clips, etc.,etc.,etc........Just becauseit'sour 2nd Amend. right, it's not sensible to do so!

We as hunters, about 95%,have ethics and sensibility about us, but there is always that 5% that ruins it for the rest of us!

Yes, it's my2nd Amend. right, but in my State it's 3 in Shotguns and 5 in Center Fire. So what do I tell the Game Warden when I get caught?....Hey man, it's my 2nd Amend. right!I don't think so!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:03 AM

Come on Reb when your hunting with AR you use a five round mags. No differentthan a a Win mod 100 or the rem auto loaders. You are not alolowed to hunt with full auto any where in the us. And I believe that the restriction is Five center fire round max across the board.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Well, do you guys like to be in the huntingwoods with hunters using Street Sweepers, Mac 10's, Semi Auto's with 30 RD clips, etc.,etc.,etc........Just becauseit'sour 2nd Amend. right, it's not sensible to do so!

We as hunters, about 95%,have ethics and sensibility about us, but there is always that 5% that ruins it for the rest of us!

Yes, it's my2nd Amend. right, but in my State it's 3 in Shotguns and 5 in Center Fire. So what do I tell the Game Warden when I get caught?....Hey man, it's my 2nd Amend. right!I don't think so!
1% I would say. I usually agree with you reb, but, You are dead wrong on this. We must remain united.

Have you ever shot a Class 3 weapon? I'm not talking for hunting, just shooting milk jugs or the like. I've never seen anyone shoot a full auto weapon that didn't have a smile on there face afterwards. They are just plain fun. Isn't that what its about? Having fun. Don't we hunt for fun? Don't we shoot at the range for fun? Hey, there is about one percent of the population that use firearms for unlawful reasons. Guess what even if the weapons are banned it won't stop them.

Treat yourself to a day at Thunder Ranch, You will have an absolute ball!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

No state permits full auto for hunting andthose that dopermit semi autos restrict the magazine capacity to 5 rounds. Like many other uninformed non hunters andhunters alike, when theyhear or read the names of firearms like AK 47, AR 15 and M1 A1 they group theseas assault rifles. Yet Win. model 1907 sl, Rem. 81 and Woodsman, BAR's, Ruger 10/22, Benelli R1, Weatherby Mark XXII, and M1 Garandto name a few are in fact the same or even more powerful than the dreaded assault rifle. Like the BAR from WW II in 30:06. Originally a full autofirearm now a popular hunting semi auto.And what about shotguns? I guess you may as willinclude the fast shooting semi auto shotguns from Bennelli, Beretta and a multitude of other manufacturers into the assault group. Have you everwondered why the anti's and leftists decided on the term Assaultrifle for the chosen few? The term was first coined by Adolf Hitler to a specific gun developed for WW II. Now this term is assigned by the anti's with the mystiqueof the evil that first coined the phrase ASSAULT RIFLE. It's timethe informedeliminate the word assault from theirvocabulary when speaking about semi auto firearms. As to the comment about " huntingwoods with hunters using Street Sweepers, Mac 10's, Semi Auto's with 30 RD Mag"the same feeling I get when in a duck blind with 5 of my hunting friends surrounded by10 other blinds each withmultiple huntersall carryingsemi auto shotguns with 5 capacity; all wanting to shoot the same duck. I believe they call this responsible hunting...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

No state permits full auto for hunting andthose that dopermit semi autos restrict the magazine capacity to 5 rounds.
Texas does not restrict magazine capacity, except for compliance with federal migratory bird regulations. I regularly hunt with a 30 round magazine. This took 3 shots...

Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Have you ever shot a Class 3 weapon?
Yep! I served in two branches of the military. I also have owned .45cal Thompson's and at one time also owned a Street Sweeper. Have owned many SKS's and AK-47's and M1 carbines which were converted to full. Mac 10's were a dime a dozen down here.

Hey, I live in a Drug Dealer state. These weapons were a House Hold item down here 40yrs ago.

I do have to agree with you, they are alot of Fun to shoot!The fact still remains, my statelaw is Shotguns plugged to 3 rds and Centerfires no more than 5 in magazines for hunting!

Quick Reply: The Zumbo saga goes on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.