Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Favorite Elk Bullets?

Old 02-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Elk Bullets?

Jeff-MRP???Or referring to BarnesMRX by chance?
[/quote]
YEP........Thanks for straightening that out.....
Old 02-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wished they were only $30.00 for 20 where I live.......
Paid damn near $65.00 after taxes.......
The same holds true for the TBBC as well...
Sask. we just sent Jordans a one way ticket back to your Province..
Can't wait for the Wholesale Sports Grand Opening in my hometown of Kamloops B.C.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

I think the 165 is plenty for elk. My dad used a 30/06 with 150gr. sp to take all his elk out of 6 elk one needed more than one round. He made a 400yrd shot and the elk went down. I am going to use the 165gr. bullet this year.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

I wished they were only $30.00 for 20 where I live.......
Paid damn near $65.00 after taxes.......
The same holds true for the TBBC as well...
Sask. we just sent Jordans a one way ticket back to your Province..
Can't wait for the Wholesale Sports Grand Opening in my hometown of Kamloops B.C.
Well if your WS is like ours you may eatthose words. Stock andCS is pitful. Just moved/opened new fancy store here wonderful layout butsame old WS. I have heard similar stories about every other WS, it appears the corperate office doesn't like paying for talent and they will only buy via bookings. Simply means if the product is not out by booking you won;t see it in a WS till the next go around, same goes for running out of stock and no such thing as special orders. No skew no dice!

Rumor mill:WS was bought out by cabela's last yearand these new stores were part of the purchase agreement then in a year or so the name will magically change! We all thought it was very strange they were investing in yet another a new building here(old one was maybe 5 years old and builtby WS), maybe has some merit. I also have heard SIR have the right to BPS for western canada and looking to expand west. Who knows i guess we'll see. (BTW SIR lists MRX at 41/20-shipping and 1 tax are extra)
Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 AM

I use the 180 Barnes X in my Remington 700 300 Win Mag. Very accurate and with my load of 70 gr of IMR4350, they average 2970 fps in my gun.

I plan on trying some of the Triple Shocks next, just to see if the velocity increases as Barnes says. And I may load some 165 gr too and see which my rifle likes best. The MRX is just a tad pricey for me and I don't think it would really work any better than the X or TS since they work so well.

My friend shoots a 30.06 and uses the Barnes X in 165 gr. His last Bull Elk was at just under 450 yards and it dropped within 50 yards of being hit.

I have also had very good accuracy with the 180 gr Fail Safe although I have never handloaded it. Factory loads run 3080 fps in my 300. I have not taken any elk with this load but shot a mulie at slightly over 500 yards with it. I think they are right up there with the Barnes X.

Craig
Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if your WS is like ours you may eatthose words. Stock andCS is pitful.

Thanks for the heads up Skeeter........

Rumor mill:WS was bought out by cabela's last yearand these new stores were part of the purchase agreement then in a year or so the name will magically change! We all thought it was very strange they were investing in yet another a new building here(old one was maybe 5 years old and builtby WS), maybe has some merit.

I HOPE SO.............