Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Is 7mm mag enough for moose. >

Is 7mm mag enough for moose.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Is 7mm mag enough for moose.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Is 7mm mag enough for moose.

It's one of the Synthetic's and the rough parkerized finish makes it jam up.
I would degrease the rifle and work the action whilst watching TV. Over and over again.

Oh, an by the way....one of the Eskimos favorite cartridges for moose is....ready for this?

The 22 Hornet. So, yes...a 30-06 will kill any moose that walks. Actually, the 30-06 will kill anything that walks in North America, South America, Austrailia, and Europe. It will kill most things that walk in Asia and Africa. But, dont take my word for it...do some research in older hunting magazines.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM

if you use the 7MM you wont have any issues to worry about, aim and shoot (in the right place of course)

i use a 30-06 for my hunting and buddy uses a 7MM and we cant tell the differences, they all fall down after the bang.

ive shot out to 450yrd before with mine and got the moose, all the others i have shot have been about 200. not sure about how far my buddy has shot out too, i now around 200 as well, but i am confident to say 400 wouldnt be a problem as well.

good luck
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM

After reading through some of the posts....I have to ask a question that may in fact play a vital role in your decision.

What kind of terrain will you be hunting?
What is the foilage in the area?
Will it be the smaller "lower 48" sub-species or the larger Yukon sub-species?
Is it a cow or a bull tag?

The ultimate reason behind my questions is because variables like these can play a pretty significant role in what you are doing.

I have not been fortunate to draw my moose tag here in N. Idaho, but I can tell you some of my experience with elk.

When it is cow/bull season in mid october I usually hit the brush with a lever action 30-30 open sites. It can bring down the smaller cows without flinching and is effective on the biggest bulls when the longest shot I have is 30-70 meters out. I don't worry about banging it up, and it's lighter when you are fighting the viral buck brush that's infested old clear cuts and roadss

When I am glassing the glades in the flats of the St. Joe Drainage I will usually have my 300 win-mag/bi-pod with a pill that is leaning on the lighter side so I can reach out and touch something from 400 meters out. (I have military training and would never take an unethical shot).

When I'm driving with people and am a shooter placed in theback endof a 100 yard clear cut I will pull out the 30.06 with a 180 core lokt so I can hit something hard from that range and know that it is going to go into my freezer.

I'm by no means an expert and most of the guys on here can probably out wit me....but lets look at the bigger picture because in all truth, if I was fortunate to draw my moose tag, I wouldn't want to risk that dream on a fire arm that is questionable!

~Cam

www.myspace.com/fuzzyballs44 (if you look at my site I have a couple of good territory pics in N. Idaho on there)

I'm 25 years old....grew up on the side of a mountain....my knowledge doesn't come from the opinions of others, but my own opinions....I don't mind when people disagree with me...it helps me learn and develop as a hunter and a person.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Yep, I agree the ought six can take down everything in N. America...but I don't think I would use it as my choice weapon if I was hunting a Coastal Brown Bear on Afgonak or Raspberry......they have been shot in the eye from 30 yards and lived to maul the hell out of the person.

Sorry I digress!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:22 AM

My dad killed both a moose and a caribou with his 7mm mag just last year. More than enough he said.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldnt worry about your choice being to small. Im 14 and i got my first cow moose this year with my single shot 30-30 170gr Hornady SP here in AB
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 PM

The 7mm Mag is a fine cartridge for moose in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 PM

A 7mm mag should be great for moose, but an 06 is every bit the caliber of any 7mm. You just dont gain anything with that purchase if you already have an 06. To really gain anything you need to move up to the 300mags or bigger.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:23 PM

I have to agree with just about everyone in saying you have three capible rifle at your choosing. Any will work if you use quality bullets and place your shots right. Myself I would shoot my 338mag and not think twice. But unless your dad is set on buying a new gun I think his 7mm will serve him well and he could save his money to go toward the hunt he is planing...Good luck on your hunt...
Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM

This is just my opinion, but I think that true moose calibers start with the .300 Magnums, better are numbers like the .338 Win Mag

Quick Reply: Is 7mm mag enough for moose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.