Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Zumbo talks on Nugents Forum >

Zumbo talks on Nugents Forum

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Zumbo talks on Nugents Forum

Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Zumbo talks on Nugents Forum

Biography from Jim Zumbo's website:

Biography

Jim Zumbo has two degrees in forestry and wildlife management, and worked as a forester and wildlife biologist for 15 years. He sold his first article to OUTDOOR LIFE in 1962, and has had over 1,500 articles published in all the major outdoor magazines. In 1978, Zumbo joined OUTDOOR LIFE as full-time Western editor, then Editor at large, then Hunting Editor.

Zumbo writes about a variety of subjects for OUTDOOR LIFE, including adventure, ordeal pieces, profiles of outstanding outdoorsmen, small game, upland game, waterfowl, fishing, and big game hunting. He specializes in western big game, primarily elk and mule deer.

Widely regarded as the foremost authority on North American big game hunting, Zumbo has a large readership audience. In addition to his hundreds of articles published by OUTDOOR LIFE, Zumbo has authored 23 books. (For a compete listing of his books, click here, or go to the Books and More link.)

Zumbo also lectures extensively, primarily on big game hunting topics. He gives elk hunting schools, seminars and clinics on big game. Zumbo helped establish the NRA's Great American Hunting Tour by appearing at the first program in l987. Since then, he has appeared in more than 70 cities with the NRA and other show producers. He has been featured in seven hunting videos, three on elk, two on mule deer, one on whitetail deer, one on bighorn sheep, and one on cooking venison. He designed his own elk call and produced an accompanying 30-minute instructional cassette tape on the use of the call. He is also known for his skills as an outdoor photographer, having had some 3,000 photos published.

Zumbo lives in a log home in the mountains between Cody, Wyoming and Yellowstone National Park, with his wife, Madonna, and their two Labrador retrievers -- in an area he claims offers the best big game hunting in the lower 48. He routinely hunts whitetails and other game in at least 20 states each year. He also hunts Canada and Alaska extensively and has hunted abroad as well, including Africa, Europe, and South America. He has recently completed a personal goal of hunting deer in all 50 states. He has already hunted elk in every western "elk" state, and has hunted all but two Canadian provinces.

Professionally, he was chairman of the New York State Metropolitan Chapter of the Society of American Foresters, president of the Utah Chapter of The Wildlife Society, a two term Board member of the Outdoor Writer's Association of America, and served seven years on The Board of Directors of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF). He is a Professional Member of the Boone and Crockett Club, currently serves on board of the US Sportsmen's Alliance, and also served again on the RMEF board.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntinglife

Biography from Jim Zumbo's website:

Biography

Jim Zumbo has two degrees in forestry and wildlife management, and worked as a forester and wildlife biologist for 15 years. He sold his first article to OUTDOOR LIFE in 1962, and has had over 1,500 articles published in all the major outdoor magazines. In 1978, Zumbo joined OUTDOOR LIFE as full-time Western editor, then Editor at large, then Hunting Editor.

Zumbo writes about a variety of subjects for OUTDOOR LIFE, including adventure, ordeal pieces, profiles of outstanding outdoorsmen, small game, upland game, waterfowl, fishing, and big game hunting. He specializes in western big game, primarily elk and mule deer.

Widely regarded as the foremost authority on North American big game hunting, Zumbo has a large readership audience. In addition to his hundreds of articles published by OUTDOOR LIFE, Zumbo has authored 23 books. (For a compete listing of his books, click here, or go to the Books and More link.)

Zumbo also lectures extensively, primarily on big game hunting topics. He gives elk hunting schools, seminars and clinics on big game. Zumbo helped establish the NRA's Great American Hunting Tour by appearing at the first program in l987. Since then, he has appeared in more than 70 cities with the NRA and other show producers. He has been featured in seven hunting videos, three on elk, two on mule deer, one on whitetail deer, one on bighorn sheep, and one on cooking venison. He designed his own elk call and produced an accompanying 30-minute instructional cassette tape on the use of the call. He is also known for his skills as an outdoor photographer, having had some 3,000 photos published.

Zumbo lives in a log home in the mountains between Cody, Wyoming and Yellowstone National Park, with his wife, Madonna, and their two Labrador retrievers -- in an area he claims offers the best big game hunting in the lower 48. He routinely hunts whitetails and other game in at least 20 states each year. He also hunts Canada and Alaska extensively and has hunted abroad as well, including Africa, Europe, and South America. He has recently completed a personal goal of hunting deer in all 50 states. He has already hunted elk in every western "elk" state, and has hunted all but two Canadian provinces.

Professionally, he was chairman of the New York State Metropolitan Chapter of the Society of American Foresters, president of the Utah Chapter of The Wildlife Society, a two term Board member of the Outdoor Writer's Association of America, and served seven years on The Board of Directors of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF). He is a Professional Member of the Boone and Crockett Club, currently serves on board of the US Sportsmen's Alliance, and also served again on the RMEF board.
...and five of his written words pssed off the whole huntingshooting world.

AsAmericans we should forgive him his trespasses. All 5 of them.

Good luck Jimbo. Outtta work is no place to be when you're old( as I am).
Old 03-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default WHERE'S ZUMBO

The Jim Zumbo thing is quiet now. His sincere apologies continue. Is he still at Ted Ranch gettin re-absoluted?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:20 PM

I dont think Zumbo is sorry for the damage he did, I feel he's sorry that he got caught so to speak. He's been to stupid to many times. From wolves, to the USO, to this. All he cares about is JIM ZUMBO and thats the bottom line, if it doesnt affect him personally, he could care less what it does to the rest of us.It's time for him toretire. If he retires I'll accept his appology.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:38 AM

I will be happy to see him do an AR hunt. When he does hewould be welcome in my camp anytime, and I hope he doesn't retire. Hunting needs advocates, gun people need to stick together, and I hope he stays with it until he is no longer able.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess he won't be able to expect being re-hired, but I hope he still gets to make it back to some degree of is former glory.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes Jim has done many good things for hunters and shooters. He has built up a huge castle (figure of speech)of pro hunting/ gun work in the past to help protect us all. But when you drop a nuke, like what he said in his blog, you just destroyed that castle and everything around it for miles.

Many people do many things in their lives to help other people but every now and then one of these wonderful people short circuits, flys off the handleand kills someone for no aparant reason. Should we all look the other way and forgive and forget, because of their humanitarian past, the fact that they murdered another person or should they rot in a prison? Yes this is more dramatic but the samereasoning applies.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

He has built up a huge castle (figure of speech)
Aw, Man! It would've been awesome to touch it if you didn't add the "Figure of Speach" comment!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 AM

Everyone has an opinion so I might as well add mine.
Zumbo has done more for the sports of hunting and shooting than 99.9% of the very people on forums such as this have ever done or will ever do. Yes he made a illthought comment of a questionable rifle type (IMHO). He admitted to his mistake yet the power of internet bashing has brought him tons of grief. The hunting and shooting sports can ill afford to loose such a staunch supporter of our rights. To compare Zumbo's comment to someone dropping a nuke with intent to murder or blow up a castle is just inane. And shows the ridiculous comments taken out against one whom we should be embracing in our folds.
Facts are facts Zumbo said it. But he is also a bigger supporter of private gun owership thru the 2nd Ammendment then anyone else I know.
If I had a choice between his use of pen or Nugent's trash talking in your face BS I'd want Zumbo on my side every time!!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: eagle chickie

Zumbo has done more for the sports of hunting and shooting than 99.9% of the very people on forums such as this have ever done or will ever do.
That may be true, but, he also did more damage, with one ill-advised comment, than 99.9% of the very people on forums such as this have ever done or will ever do. It's unfortunate, but the damage that he did is probably worse, with one little blog entry, than the good he did in a 40 year career. I doubt he was ever cited by pro-gunners in Congress as an authority against gun control laws. But, he's being cited by the anti-gunners as an authority in favor of readopting the AWB.

I'm not one of the folks who would banish him forever from our midst, but, he's got a good bit of making up to do, and I hope he does.

Quick Reply: Zumbo talks on Nugents Forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.