Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 How should I do it? What does it take? >

How should I do it? What does it take?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How should I do it? What does it take?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How should I do it? What does it take?

I've been looking at all you big game hunters post all this cool stuff about hunting big game, and it just makes me wonder, will I ever be able to do that?

I mean, my uncle is a hunter, but he only hunts local game in TN, he has a great family, great income, and a great job as a pharmacy manager, but he's tied down in one place, and only gets one day a week off, and that's usually a Saturday (Yes, there's no mandatory weekend), or some other random weekday, and he just can't go on a big game hunt, or any hunt, unless it's within 400 miles of where he lives, otherwise, he spends all of his time getting there and back.

I don't want to do that, I want to be able to actually hunt big game, and I want to know, how do you guys do it? How do you manage going to places, like, there's some of you who are residents, I know, but there's also some of you who go on trips to Alaska, or other parts of the lower 48.

What must I do to get to that point?

(Sorry if I sound obsessed with hunting, minus politics, it's all I really ever talk about.)
Old 02-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Default RE: How should I do it? What does it take?

Younggun, I'm one of the "resident" types that you referred to, where I live close to big game hunting. I am young and don't have the time or money to do big hunting trips. I actually grew up in a state that doesn't offer those kind of opportunities (I won't actually say california becuase then I'll lose all credibility on this forum) but decided that I wanted to live someplace with good big game hunting and fly fishing - so I moved to montana after finishing college. It's understandable if you want to stay closer to family in TN, but one way to do it would be to actually move to a place that offers the activities that you are passionate about.

As for the guys who take big trips to alaska, africa, montana, colorado, etc... Most have jobs that offer a few weeks vacation. It also helps if you can work the cost of these trips into your budget. I you want to stay in TN and make big game hunting a priority in your life, find a job that provides adequate paid vacation time... or at least a job where your boss is cool with you leaving for a week or two. Work / Life balance is very important. I understand that it's important to find a good job to provide for yourself and your family when that eventually happens. This is simply part of being responsible. At the same time though, if a job is going to completely keep you from doing what you love, it's probably in your best interest to keep looking for something better.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good job and a education is a good start.
When you find a job,look into their vacation policies.My job here in Montana is a great one good money and best of all a good vacation plan.I get 35 days a year to goof off,I can carry over 31.I generaly carry over 15 days a year that gives me 50 days a year of paid vacation.
That leaves 1 week with family on a family vacation,the rest I devote to hunting and fishing.

BBJ
Old 02-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Just decide to go!

I don't mean to sound smart ass or anything but thats the biggest hurdle most folks don't get past. Decide that you are going, decide when, where, and what species. Then find out how much it costs and do whatever it takes to go.

Of course it helps to have a good job. And Kids will eat up your hunting budget in a hurry, so will a wife. So don't get married or have any kids. Of course I'm kidding, the biggest blessing in my life is my family.

The first big game hunt I went on was to Montana. It cost $3500, thats two years income tax refunds. I decided to go and planned to two years out. I had just gotten a tax refund and thought: "hey if I put this away where the wife can't find it I'm half way to a hunt" So thats what I did, that years and the next. It was an all mighty temptation to dip into my sock drawer at times but I kept reminding myself that it was for my "once in a lifetime hunt". That year I killed a mule deer and never got on an Elk, But I knew that it certainly wasn't going to be my only trip to the mountains.

This year I told my son that I would take him Proghorn hunting if he paid for his share. I knew that he could do it. He worked all summer long mowing, weed eating, picking up rocks, hauling hay, working construction, cleaning jobsites etc. In three month he had $1500 to go on the trip. I paid for his tag, and he put a thousand toward food, gas, motels etc.to go. He had a great time, and it meant more to him because he had earned it. From now on, I know that he will be proud of that hunt. And I am extremely proud of him for what he done to earn a spot on that hunt.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 PM

As far as actual jobs which would allow you to take the kind of hunting trips you are talking about:

Don't be a teacher if you are serious about big game hunting. Don't get me wrong, I think education is a great career and you get an amazing amount of vacation time: 3 months in the summer!!! The problem is that that your vacation time ends rightwhen hunting season begins. School starts up right about the same time as archery season and you won't get a break until after rifle season is over. Good career, but not for big game hunters.

Maybe look for a job that will allow you to work at your own pace or set your own hours. Mortgage loan officers, stock brokersand realters, for example, work solely on commission. If they close a lot of deals, they get paid well. If they don't, then they don't get paid. The important thing is that in these type of careers you are responsible for yourself. This means that you can take a few weeks off during hunting season and no one will care as long as you are bringing in plenty of business the rest of the time you are there.

Also maybe consider firefighting. It's a very honorable profession thatgenerally pays pretty well. It's also a career where you get plenty of comp. time. I have buddies in the fire service who work about ten 24-hour shifts a month and the rest of the month is theirs, in addition to the two weeks of vacation time they get. Plus this career will force you to be in good shape- which is very important for chasing elk around the mountains.

There are plenty of good jobs that will give you the flexibility to take big hunting trips. These are just a few that pop up in my mind. Hopefully this helps a bit.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: elkbane
Don't be a teacher if you are serious about big game hunting. Don't get me wrong, I think education is a great career and you get an amazing amount of vacation time: 3 months in the summer!!! The problem is that that your vacation time ends rightwhen hunting season begins. School starts up right about the same time as archery season and you won't get a break until after rifle season is over. Good career, but not for big game hunters.
I agree and disagree. If you snag a teaching job in an area that offers good big game hunting it is not that bad of a gig. For myself we have plenty of big game around and i am able to get out for a few hours b4 school as well as afterschool. Cannot do both though as football coaching would limit me to one quick hunt a day. You have your weekends off as well. Bad thing is yes you cannot take that whole week or so off and go hard. Might be able to swing a few personal days but they would really frown on this. I have a week long elk hunt planned for this fall where i am taking a week off in september from college and going on a hunt. I have to do it this year because i will be teaching the next year and will not be able to swing it, will still be able to hunt around home but the big dream trips will be out until i retire. Oh and the only excusable reason for coming late or missing my classes will be the student was dressing an animal.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Hiawatha, you are right. If you can get a job teaching in an area with big game hunting then that wouldn't be a bad deal. It wouldn't quite be the same experience as taking a week off at a time to hunt, but if you hunt on the weekends and after work you could definately get a good number of days in, more than if you actually made a trip out of it. sick days wouldn't be a bad way to go, either.

When I made my statement about teaching, I was referring more to someone in youngguns' situation. If you live in Tennessee, then your only option for big game hunting would be to make a big trip out of it - something that would be nearly impossible for a teacher to do.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM

I totally agree elk, only hope would be to move out of state and take a teaching job in a state where there is prime elk realllll close to town. Thats why i am staying put back on the farm when i get out of college.I am not even practice teaching in any cities because i know i would never live there even if i was given a60k starting salary.I will sub, work honey bees and seismic until i get a teaching job close to home. Then i will kick back and let the good times roll. I cannot leave, the hunting is just too good and am prepared to do what it takes to stay put.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its all about choices, of course job and salary make some of the choices easier.

You need to decide, in your own situation, is the choice and whatever sacrifice that entails, worth making for the hunt in question. Having a wife/kids complicates this, but it also may just push it out a bit further.

Find a way to save $10/week. Bring lunch rather than buy lunch, don't go out to eat as often, don't hit dunkin donuts in the morning. Take the $10/week and stuff it in the bank. It's only $520/year, but after several years you have the money for the trip. If you can find a way to save more than the $10/week, the time period comes in closer.

I have a friend who occassionally makes comments about "must be nice to afford an elk hunt" and it pisses me off. Why? Well he usually makes them while we are driving to go salmon fishing in his $35K truck, towing his $25K boat. I don't have either. It's all about how you choose to spend your money.

It may take time, even years, but its achievable. Tax returns? Stuff them in the bank rather than spending them. there's usually all kinds of way to make small steps saving money, the more small steps you make the easier the hunt price becomes.

And yes, some jobs/education make it easier than others.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 PM
usa
Fork Horn

youngun, I'm one of those guys that is able to hunt all over every year but it was a long road to get to this point, I grew up in upstate New York poor as a church mouse so I hunted everything that was available nothing was safe from me deer/woodchucks/squirrels/ducks/pheasants etc.most times I hunted alone rather than wait for my friends to find time to go hunting with me. so my advice to you would be get educated and try to get into an outdoors field, game cop, biologist or even forest ranger . every job that I had I told them upfront that I had to have at least a week off for deer hunting every year, it cost me a few jobs but if you are doing a job that you hate it will screw up your whole outlook on life. I now live in southern california and contrary to popular opinion we have a lot of hunting opportunities, deer/pigs/rabbits/ground squirrels plus good quail hunting and turkeys. if you ever get out this way I'll be glad to show you around, Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.