HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Alternative Bear hunting tactics. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/181742-alternative-bear-hunting-tactics.html)

younggun308 02-22-2007 01:15 PM

Alternative Bear hunting tactics.

Hey, Guys,

I was just thinking, ,most people will bait bears or use dogs, but, IMO, that's really lame, are there any other bear hunting methods out there I need to know about, 'cause I'd like to apply for a black bear tag here in TN, but I don't want to feel like a guy who cheated.

Elkcrazy8 02-22-2007 04:54 PM

RE: Alternative Bear hunting tactics.

Sorry, I am too lame to offer any advice ;0)

manboy 02-22-2007 06:25 PM

talk to huntnmuleys on this forum about his bear hunt in alaska last fall. he does things a little differant. it sounds pretty exciting.[:-]

BearGuy. 02-24-2007 11:32 AM

Hey Younggun,

I doubt if you will get many responses from the hunters on this but I could be wrong. Baiting or using dogs to hunt bear is not cheating. I take it you have never hunted bear before, so how can you form an opinion about it if you have never done it.I operate a bear hunting camp in Ontario and rely on baiting and spot and stalk. I do nothunt with dogs, and have never done so, but won't look down on the people who do.If baiting or hunting with dogs dosen't sound like your cup of tea, maybe you should do spot and stalk, or try calling. Just remember when calling....they are coming in looking for something to eat!

Good luck, and remember when you frown down upon something in our sport that is leagal and ethical you put out a poor message toeveryone, and that is the last thing ourwonderfullsport needs.

Oh, and I can guarantee you that if you were out on a bear stand (baited or otherwise) and had a big ol bruin looking up at you from the base of your tree,,,,,lame would be the last thing in your mind! Better yet, let them get a couple of steps under your stand and let's see how lame things would be. Don't knock something till you have tried it.;)

Elkcrazy8 02-25-2007 09:54 PM

Thanks Bear guy I couldn't have said it better. You should be in a ground blind with a big boar standing at 12 yards. Makes you heart thump an extra beat or two...

huntnmuleys 02-26-2007 07:00 PM

for a rush try spot and stalk......they all look like monsters walking straight at you at 7 feet!!!

bullelk1 02-27-2007 07:51 PM

I live in Idaho, where it is legal to both bait bears and hunt them with dogs. If you want to test your nerves, sit in a tree stand with a bow in a remote forest in the rockies until dark, with black bears, grizzlies, wolves, and mountain lions all inhabiting the very forest you are hunting.

If thats too slow for you, turn loose a pack of hounds on a smoking hot bear track at 9500 feet in elevation, then try catching up with them on foot.Remember, no dog gets left behind, and the bear won't be too happy that these animals are on his tail when he meets them, or you.

Both types of hunting really peak my interest, and the best part is, you can practice catch and release until you find a bear that you really want. The rest get photographed, then are allowed to live another day. Nothing lame about this sport.

hinkleid 02-27-2007 11:03 PM

I too live in ID. As a teenager, we used to go into the Tetons on the other side of the state near WY. We only used knives, so you had to sneak up behind the Grizzly without it seeing you. That gets the old ticker thumping pretty good. But it does qualify under the "fair chase" ideology. I'm too old for that nonsense now, but in a way feel using a 338 WM would be lame and cheating.

andrewjoseph 02-28-2007 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: BearGuy.

Hey Younggun,

I doubt if you will get many responses from the hunters on this but I could be wrong. Baiting or using dogs to hunt bear is not cheating. I take it you have never hunted bear before, so how can you form an opinion about it if you have never done it.I operate a bear hunting camp in Ontario and rely on baiting and spot and stalk. I do nothunt with dogs, and have never done so, but won't look down on the people who do.If baiting or hunting with dogs dosen't sound like your cup of tea, maybe you should do spot and stalk, or try calling. Just remember when calling....they are coming in looking for something to eat!

Good luck, and remember when you frown down upon something in our sport that is leagal and ethical you put out a poor message toeveryone, and that is the last thing ourwonderfullsport needs.

Oh, and I can guarantee you that if you were out on a bear stand (baited or otherwise) and had a big ol bruin looking up at you from the base of your tree,,,,,lame would be the last thing in your mind! Better yet, let them get a couple of steps under your stand and let's see how lame things would be. Don't knock something till you have tried it.;)
I have seen videos of bear hunts on UTube when the bear comes up to eat garbage or molassas out of a barrell and then the hunter shoots them from 20 yards. Then he gets all excited. This is not what I call hunting. I think that it takes advantage of the bears eager stomach and less intelligent brain.

I dont need to try something to have an opinion on it - this is an idiotic thought. I dont need to smoke crack to form my opinion that crack is for losers. I dont need to buy a $200,000 watch to form the opinion that this is a great watch, I just know that because it costs so much.

So when you say that I need to lure in a bear and shoot it at 20 or 50 or 200 yds when it lumbers up to eat molassas out of a barrell in order to decide that that is for fake hunters, I submit to you that you are wrong. I consider you a trash man, filling up trash cans with trash and molassas for foolish bears to gorge themselves on before getting blasted.

Next step: Multiple hunters shooting at the same bear, like a firing squad.

Elkcrazy8 02-28-2007 07:04 PM

"Fake hunters and trashmen" I am glad to see that you have such a high opinion of fellow hunters.....................