Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Outdoor Writer, Jim Zumbo

Old 02-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Outdoor Writer, Jim Zumbo

THis is just being brought to light. If you own an assualt rifle this guy just cut your throat. I was sickened by his public statement. He is a big shot with the NRA, RMEF, Mule Deer Foundation and a writer for outdoor life. I sent letter to them all. Check it out here!

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html#comment-60876000
Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Outdoor Writer, Jim Zumbo

The last good Outdoor Life mag was back about 1973. That said, I'm with Jim. shoot at paper with anything that turns your crank but leave these monstrocities at home when hunting.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Bad for anti-gun people to see such an article. But as a hunter I'm in total agreement. There's no need for them in the hunting world. That spray in pray style of hunting is what sickens me. But to publically announce that in an article was not the best of ideas. If hunters want to use assault style rifles to hunt with that is their choice and I'm not advocation they don't use them. I just agree with Zimbo that personally I would not use them. There's rules in most states how many rounds a magazine can carry so they would be no different than hunting with something like the browning BAR. About time someone got their go nads up enough to go outside the circle and say what's on their minds publically. Now if he'd just said anti hunters were uneducated idiots in the way of enviromental management, we'd all be praising him.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

The last good Outdoor Life mag was back about 1973. That said, I'm with Jim. shoot at paper with anything that turns your crank but leave these monstrocities at home when hunting.

Spoken like a true Canadian.....
Old 02-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100%, these guns have no place in hunting! But I have every right to own onefor home protection, target shooting, or to use as I see fit. I would never use one for hunting, but if someone did I wouldn't judge them. I think its a personal ethics thing, not a law thing. Leave me and my guns alone! JMHO
Old 02-19-2007, 01:55 AM

I usually enjoy jim zumbo's articles.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:24 AM

Since when does an AR-15 not have a place in hunting? I agree that AK's are not hunting rifles simply because they are so innacurate. But such is not the case with AR's. Some models are extremely accurate, such as the Bushmaster Varminter. In fact, some are flat-out tack drivers. Why would you not want to use one for varmint hunting? Please tell me, because for the life of me I cannot come up with one single reason that does not have something to do with personal preference/ prejudice.

The fact that the operator does not need to manually jack another round in the chamber does not mean they are going to "spray and pray". Such a generalization is laughable. Do you hear guys who use single shots saying hunters with bolt actions "spray and pray" simply because the capability to reload faster exists? I don't think so.

And let's not forget- there is no difference in concept between an AR and Mini-14's, Browning BAR's, Benelli R1's, etc, etc. They're all centerfire semi-automatic weapons. I don't hear people getting their panties in a bunch over the fact that all of the other semi-autos are used for hunting. And I don't hear people demonizing the use of revolvers for hunting either, even though they are less accurate and can be fired almost as rapidly.

I think it is ignorant of Jim Zumbo and others to single out the AR-15 as being an abomination in the hunting world simply because it looks different than all of the other semis due to the fact that it's parent rifles are assault weapons. I would venture to say most people who oppose AR's as hunting rilfes have no problem with people putting MacMillan or HS-Preicision sniper-style stocks on their bolt action vamint rigs, even though the specialized stock essentially turns the gun into nearly the same weapon that the military uses as an assault weapon.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:01 AM

Zumbo is a pompus ass! I have met him several times, in the field deer hunting and at banquets in Cody. I dislike his writting style, his one sided oppinions, and his personality. For him to make a public statement was suicide! To compare assualt rifle owners with terrorists just show how opinioated and pompus he has grown.

I bet Remington, NRA, and Outdoor Life drop him. I dropped Outdoor Life because of that statement. I don't hunt with an assualt rifle, and am yet to see anyone "spray and pray" with one either. But I do witness every fall some dip **** taking 500 to 800 yard shots with bolt guns and more or less lobbing them in. There is no room in this day and age for any usof to condemn another hunter for legally using any kind of firearm. PERIOD!

THis bozo singled many hunters and shooters out. It is his opinion and just that, an opinion, and we all know what opinions are like!!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Jim Zumbo is not one of my favorites, but I do agree to a certain extent. There are plenty of other riffles that could be used rather than AR-15. I think some of you may agree with me to if you had the same job as I do...a Police Officer. I'm definately not anti-gun, but I don't think someone needs an Assault Riffle standing by their front door to greet me.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Spike

In the early part of Zumbo's article, it is stated "I don't have a clue" which is an accurate statement, the rest of the article is repetitive, and supportive of the no clue statement.

Quick Reply: Outdoor Writer, Jim Zumbo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.