Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Accuracy.... groups?

Old 03-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy.... groups?

Forget the sandbags .I use lead birdshot to fill the fore-end bag and a 25lb bag left inthe factory bag for under the stock.Nothing like rock solid.Shooting across a truck hood ,it's amazing you got such good groups.If you are shooting a bolt action leave the action open to cool allowing a minute between shots.Then you will get a better idea as to what ammo is more accurate.Good Luck..............Harold
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 PM

If you want field accuracy all you need is a Harris Bipod. Specifically a 6-9" swivel model with a pod loc.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Ive got a lead sled. Not saying nothing else will work, but they are great to find out if a load is truely accurate. Its dead steady. Or use sand bags or what ever, just need to be rock steady with out the varibles of the "shooter" interferring. I reload and it saves me time and money to know what loads work and which ones dont within afew shots or acouple groups. I also let my bolt open between shots to let the barrel cool as much as possible between shots like one fella mentioned.... Thats off the bench, once I find my "load" I like, throw all bench goodies and benchaway and practise to see how well the "shooter" can really shoot.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol....I'm thinking why would you use a lead sled with a bow?? DUH!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Spike

I strongly disagree with the poster that said "A Bi-pod does not do very much good on a big game rifle".Bipodsclearly are not suited for most eastern deer hunting or for pursuing elk in the black timber. But for hunting in certain types of terrain, they can be invaluable. I have taken two Dall sheep, two antelope, mule deer, and four caribou using a Harris bipod. Most were taken at extended ranges.

Given suitable terrain, they work great!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

hinkleid
light weight alternitive to sand bags
shot bag orhomemade canvas bagfilled with some type of grain (barley, rye, corn, beans, ect,)
mine are 2 shot bagsfull of beansthen i have a custom 16"x16" about 1/2 to 1/3 full of rye
you can shake it to one side or cornerand fold or roll it to the sizeand shape that works the best

Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok, here is a fireform group from my 7mm Allen Mag., this load is about 3150 fps mv

Then the same rifle with the charge increased enough to give me 3500 fps with the same bullet, sighted in for 100 yds. then checked my ballistic program, dialed my scope in and fired 2 shots at 660 yds here is that target

as you can see I had to tweak the actual BC of the bullet, (its published BC is .531) due to 2.5" of elevation error, and I also gave it 1/4 MOA to much windage
The 100 yd group was fired off a bench rest, the one at 660 was off a bipod with a rear bag.
RR
That is some amazing shooting Ridgerunner. 660! Wow. Even at 660, and with the BC and windage inconsistencies you are still well within the kill zone.
Just curious here. I got a new Leupold scope with Target knobs (Mark 4). I shot at 300, and honestly the groups were less than 3X at 100. I would guess about a 2.5-3 inch group. Shooting prone and using bipod.
I used a ballistic site to calculate trajectory to 1000.

I dialed the elevation, and shot 3. Strange as I could not see where they hit until checking later. The shots were about 2" above bull, and about 3" left. Still within the kill zone for deer, elk. However, I did not calculate for windage so dialed nothing. How do you know this? Guess? I have read about guys that have wind checkers (whatever they are called) then enter the info into an ipod, then dial both elevation and windage.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 PM

My groups too decreased when using the Accubond. (180 gr) I do not have a chronogaph so going on published data. Guessing around 3000 fps, +or - a little.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:27 PM

RR- thanks for all the info.

Kinda confused as to what you mentioned about "tweaking the BC". Your groups were a little high even after dialing elevation. The BC was higher than the published number?