Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Back country hunts and boots!! >

Back country hunts and boots!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Back country hunts and boots!!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back country hunts and boots!!

ORIGINAL: elkbane

When it comes to insulation remember that you will need less of it hunting elk or mule deer in the mountains than you would hunting in oklahoma (I'm assuming you are whitetail from a stand, but correct me if i'm wrong) because you will be walking all day and you will warm up very quickly. If you are hunting archery season you will need little or no insulation. Rifle season you will need a little more, but probably not more than 600.
Elkbane, I definitely do a lot of hunting from atreestand but Iwas born and rasied in Wyoming. I've spent a lot of time in the mountains hunting just about everything but I've never had a pair of boots that were strictly for a pack trip, mostly day or weekend trips that weren't nearly as involved.

Glob3006-

We'll be driving in and then hiking, hunting, and camping for 11 days.We'll behunting in theBig Horn mountains innorth central wyoming.My dad has hunted this area sincethe early 60's and I've been there my whole life.

I guess I really won't need much insulation as these will from now on be my early season pack boots.

brother hal- I'm not too worried about the cost, I just want the highest quality I can find.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:55 PM

I tried a pair of custom built Russell boots, they are really nice especially if you have screwed up feet like mine, they are built for your feet and yours only. A little bit of a hassle to get measured up and ordered but worth the trouble.

Insulation up to 400 g's can be added to nearly any style they build. Butthey are all leatherso you have to keep that in mind when the need for 100% waterproof is a must. You have to keep lots of oil on them.

Check out their web site.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like Meindl Perfekt Hunters. These have 400 grams of thinsulate. They do NOT make my feet hot and sweaty, and I have worn them in 70 degree days hunting deer in Oklahoma. I will say that when it is cold my feet did get cold. I got cold toes on a goose hunt this past weekend when the temperature was just about freezing (32 F), and that really isn't very cold. They provided very good support and traction hiking around high country in Colorado hunting elk this past October, including carrying a heavy backpack back into camp. These boots broke in very quickly, also.

For the application you are discussing, I'm not sure "light" is what you need. For mountain hunting, in my opinion, you need a fairly heavy boot to provide excellent support when walking and climbing rocky trails or bushwacking off trail.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Spike

Went thru the same thing last year. Researched several different forums to see what everyone liked for back country boots. Ended up buying a pair of Danner pronghorns at Cabelas. Spent eight days in them 1st rifle season in Colorado. Leaked like a dam sponge. Would not give you two cents for them. Got back took them back, went to Gander mountain bought two pair of irish setter boots that were on sale. The most comfortable boot i have ever worn. Before I bought danner I wore wolverines but just like danners look and see were they are made now. Not in the USA. Enough said.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Danners are proven, but I could never find a pair that really fit my feet well. Had a pair of Cabela's MountainHunters for a few years and they were good boots, but my wife got themwith thinsulate andthey were way too warm for the bowhunt.

Ibought a pair of Vasques last summer and they are by far the best boot I've owned. Don't mail order unless you've had good experience with mail order footwear. If your investing that much moneyinto boots, and they can make or break your season, you want to be sure they fit right. Be sure to try them on with the liners and socks you will wear hunting. Consider weight. Leather is tougher, cordura is lighter. A combo with leather in the high wear areas and cordura filling the gaps is a nice medium. Mine aren't insulated. I wear wool socks and they are fine through November. I snow shoe with them now and as long as I am moving the feet are warm. If you figure on winter hunting with a boot, insulation would be wise or those times you are stationary will get you.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:36 AM

I also recommend Danners. I travelled to Cabelas in PA last summer in preparation for a fall Montana guided elk hunt. I tried on the Meindle and they didn't fit well. I settled on a pair of Danner Elk Hunter (600 grams thinsolate) and am really pleased. During the hunt, we got snowed on. Climbing up and down the mountains, my guide was slipping and falling with his boots (his weren't Danners). My boots gripped the sonw-covered rocks like glue. I couldn't have been happier. Best $ I ever spent on equipment!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:16 PM

I have a pair of the Danner Pronghorn 800 grams. I liked them so well both of my brother in laws went out and bought them a pair. They are very comfortable, light weight and they will keep your feet warm as long as it isn't unbearably cold. If you are going hunting with lots of snow and below 20's temp I would consider the 1000+ gram boots.

My .02 cents.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:28 PM

My wife bought me a pair of boots for valentines day a couple of years ago. They are the best boot I've ever owned, especially for steep, rugged, mountain hunting. check them out:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat20570-cat601928&id=0005212811471a&navCount=3&amp ;podId=0005212811471&parentId=cat601928&ma sterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UG& amp;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat60192 8

I have the insulated boots and love them, but they are also available in uninsulated:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_811471 &id=0005212811470a
Old 02-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

I just ordered a pair of the Danner Pronghorns, 1000gram & goretex, from these guys (D and R Sports)as listed on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA% 3AIT&viewitem=&item=7128254202&rd=1&am p;rd=1

$136 including shipping....I don't think the price can be beat. They're $180 at Cabelas. Be sure to try them on first. I did notice that they seem to fit a little narrow...I had to get a EE width, but I normally just wear "normal" sizes.

I have a pair of old Rocky Bearclaws, and I've never been happy with them from day 1. They don't support the foot well, feet get cold, etc. All I can say about them is that they look good (all camo). In my opinion, the all synthetic boot material they use just can't be adapted to fit a foot as well as leather or combo leather/synthetic. Pronghorns felt better as soon as I put them on.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:53 PM

Ditto on the Danner Pronghorn 800 grams. Another very serious consideration is Sorel for a second pair. These boots probably saved my life.

The snow was wet and I changed into them right before my hunt. I did not know I was going to get lost in a blizzard in the Bob Marshall Wilderness overnight. If I wore leather they would have been soaked causing hypothermia. MV out!

Quick Reply: Back country hunts and boots!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.