Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Back country hunts and boots!! >

Back country hunts and boots!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Back country hunts and boots!!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back country hunts and boots!!

Hey guys I'm getting ready to purchase a new pair of boots that I'll be wearing in the mountains for elk and mule deer hunts. I'm having a hard time deciding what to buy. I want something very light and comfortable that has some decent insulation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any issues spending money to get the best boots out there and I'd like to get them pretty soon so that I can hike and workout with them on. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 PM

Default RE: Back country hunts and boots!!

I haven't had any experience either but am looking to do so in the near future also. My advice is to check out Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, and Gander Mountain. Start off with their websites and you can read user reviews. Then hop on over to one of their stores and start trying them on. For a walk about you might want to go light in the grains as you will be moving a lot, so you don't want your feet to sweat. 600 or 800 gain boots that are 9 to 12 inches high and wrap around your feet and support your ankles while providing excellent traction should do the trick. You'll be suprised that you can get a decent pair for even under 100 bones.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Myself and a lot of pretty high milleage guides I know have had pretty decent luck with Danners and they most likely offer something that will suit your needs. I started out with boots costing around twice what the Danners were and they were no better. For foul weather and snow, most of us are sold on the Schnee's Pac boots out of Montanna.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

My foul weather boots,wichI wear during bow season and during rifle through late November are Danner Elk Hunters.I wear the non-insulated ones for archery and hiking and the 600 gram(I think)for snow days.
If you are going to be riding and hunting late season the Scheenes that RC spoke of are the cat's meow.They are lighter than Whites pac's and have a better support for short hikes in deep snow.
You can also put a pair of wool socks on to help if feet get cold.
BBJ
Old 02-13-2007, 10:15 AM

I have a pair of Danners and I love them (I have the Grouse but they make several good models).Good ankle support, tough boot and most importantly - don't give me blisters after walking all day. When it comes to insulation remember that you will need less of it hunting elk or mule deer in the mountains than you would hunting in oklahoma (I'm assuming you are whitetail from a stand, but correct me if i'm wrong) because you will be walking all day and you will warm up very quickly. If you are hunting archery season you will need little or no insulation. Rifle season you will need a little more, but probably not more than 600. In addition to boots, make sure to buy good wool socks that fit will. They are also very important to avoid blisters. Bridgedale, Thorlo and Smartwool all make good socks. Finally, make sure you have a chance to break them in long before your trip. The pack in is no time to break your boots in - it will be blister city and your hunt will be miserable. Go for some long walks or "mini-hikes" in your boots this summer until they are broken in.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Danners are ok, but meindle's are much better boots that will out last any pair of Danners. I'd look at the Canadiens out of Cabelas.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

dwd2001,

I'd recommend you check out KeneTrek boots out of Bozeman, Montana. I have their Mountain Extreme NI, and 13" Grizzly boots and love them both. The quality and comfort are second to none. I've put a lot of miles on the Schnee boots, but I prefer the KeneTreks.

http://www.kenetrek.com/

AK Jeff
Old 02-13-2007, 12:57 PM

how much are you willing to spend? i know an elk guide in new mexico who uses boots from walmart. are you hunting early season (mild to hot weather, dew, etc.) or late (deep snow, hidden blowdowns, etc)? one pair would do it all, but why wear heavy, insulated boots in early archery season when lighter ones would do. when you hunt should also be a determining factor in selecting the right boots.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

dwd,
When you say backcountry........What does that entail for you? Backpacking,Pack in or daily hike from truck or camp???? I've always gone with the lightest boot I could get 2.0 - 3.5 lbs PER PAIRwith between 200-800 grms of insulation depending on time of year. Withmultiple sizedlugsnot too close together and if it doesn't say Gortex don't waste your money!!!! If your backpacking these will be the only bootsyou have!!!

Danner Pronghorns fit here among others.

Also a good idea to wear ankle weights around work and while hiking.I do this starting a coulpe of months out along with regular workouts.

Dos Pesos
Old 02-13-2007, 06:41 PM

I wore Danners when I was in the Army they are the only brand I will buy. Buy quality or buy twice!

Quick Reply: Back country hunts and boots!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.