Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Black Bear

Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Montana Black Bear

Has anyone ever tried a do it yourself hunt in Montana for Black Bear? I am interested in hunting black bears and have read that Montana is a good place to go. I am also considering a guided hunt if I can not find alot of information on the Montana hunt.

Thanks for any info.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Montana Black Bear

I did when I was up there with my friend and his dad. We found signs but never found anything. I still had fun because I never did anything like that before
Old 02-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Northwest Montana is where you mightwant to go in Montana, But check Idaho. Prices are reasonable for a guided hunt and success rates are high.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:32 PM

I don't think montana would be the best choice for black bear. the problem is that you aren't allowed to bait or use hounds. This would make it very hard to hunt them.Now somehunters are successful doing spot and stalk hunts, but for a DIY hunterwho isn't familiar with the area,your chances would be very slim.Montana Bob is right. Idaho might be a better choice if you are looking for a western state to hunt in. It's prices will be a littlecheaperandyou are allowedto use bait or hounds. If you are intent on hunting bear in montana though, then your best bet is probably to head to thewestern part of the state.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Pretty much what elkbane said, and MB is right on as far as regional location in the western portion of the state. I have had good successon MT spot and stalk black bears, but it took me 5-6 years to figure it out.

I've got a black bear hunt in the panhandle of Idaho this spring, very reasonable, pm me if you want details.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Montana Bob

Northwest Montana is where you mightwant to go in Montana, But check Idaho. Prices are reasonable for a guided hunt and success rates are high.
Hey, I'm headed to Montana in the next couple of years. What is the going rate for a "reasonable" guide hunt?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

$2,500 is probably the average.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: eatsleephunt

$2,500 is probably the average.
Is that just for black bear? I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I want to do an Elk hunt.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

I was referring back to the guy who started the post with regard to black bear. Sorry for the confusion. I don't have a real good handle on what an elk hunt costs on average here. I have seen a couple around here for 3,500-4,500, but I don't know what that includes, or what caliber of elk they take on average.

You might try digging up a post on this forum by Sheep Creek Outfitters. They have some camps near me, and may be able to give you a preliminary idea of what you are looking for.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

Check out flyingbranch.com. They offer a really 1st class bait hunt pretty cheap in effort to thin the bear out in the area they guide for deer and elk. They are located in Kamiah, Idaho and hunt the Lochsaw, Selway Bitteroot range that is a two bear area. I used to guide for them.

Quick Reply: Montana Black Bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.