Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 what  elk call do you think work the best??? >

what elk call do you think work the best???

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

what elk call do you think work the best???

Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 PM

Default what elk call do you think work the best???

I got two elk calls a bull horn bugle and a hoochie mama cow elk call and I think they are good what is your best elk call that you owned???
Old 01-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: what elk call do you think work the best???

Hoochie momma works ok, but I've scared off as many elk with it as I've seen. Could be me.
I'd recommend you learn how to use a diaphram mouth call. The red or white Primos call can be used for both cow and bull (with a tube). Heck I called a bull in this last year using just that combo. Estrus, spike squeal, and lost cow.
AB
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 AM

I own several diaphrams and have tried to use them (while driving) and they make me gag. I believe theycan accurately reproduce the elk language the best. But I can't use them in the field.
So, next best calls . . . the E.L.K., Inc power buggle, and the Primos Hyper lip single cow call. Very easy to use, and reproduces elk talk accurately.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never called a elk in with a hoochie mamma,the Primos single reed cow call or the cow girl.
BUT!!!
I have called them in with the Carltos squeeze me cow call,Primos Hot lips,Primos mouthdighaphramsRed,Blue and white,alos the Rocky Jacobson Pack bugle.
My favorite is the Red or Blue dighaphram.
BBJ
Old 01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Hoochies are awesome.I used Abe and Sons bugle.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a lot of elk calls[&:]ie: hyper lip single, hootchie, lead cow and calf, carlton fighting cow, numerous diaphrams, Elk inc bugle, etc Though ifI could only take one call elk hunting it would the Primos Imperial Plate Diaphram(red/double).
Old 02-07-2007, 09:03 PM

Hoochie Mama without fail! It is the only call that if I am guiding a client I will let them blow unless they show me they can really blow an elk call! I really like the Primos Pack Bugle and the MacDaddy by HSCALLS. With the pack bugle you can sound like a young small satellite bull without fail and that can really piss off a herd bull if you are in close! The MacDaddy is a great call and has lots of options available to you and can even be pulled apart and turned into a small cow call! With the MacDaddy you really have to blow the heck out of it to get the tonality you want from it!

Virginia is about to have its first ever Elk calling contest so if you are anywhere in the area, come out to the WWW.VASPORTSHOW.COM and make an attempt at calling. For every entrant there will be a raffle ticket to win an elk hunt and from what I can tell the odds are going to be terrific!

Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2007, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the hoochie mama and all the other hand held calls, but afterI learned to blow a diaphram call those calls went ina box to stay. I'm with skeeter, Primos Imperial red double is my favorite call. It means a lot to never have to make a move to make a call. My primos is in place constantly when I'm elk hunting. It took some getting used to but the gagging feeling went away.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:51 PM

game4lunch, have you tried using some of the newer diaphram calls with sound plates over the top of the reed? Primos and Carlton both make calls like this that are designed to keep you from gagging. I used to gag on the old style of calls, but I tried the Ivory Plate single and Imperial Plate double by primos and they both work well for both cow calls and bugles without making me gag. I like this a lot better than the hoochie mama because you can can do so much more to vary your sound.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the reed theory. If you put your time in and learn how to use them they are the most authentic/advantageous calls to use. I also like the Primos reeds, although I am only able to manipulate the single reed well. I have some buds who love the doubles though.

As far as hand held calls go I like the primos single reed hyper lip and the Woodswise. I keep two of each on me when bow hunting elk. In my opinion though, it's not the call, it's knowing when and how oftento call. I think most guys overdo it. You can get away withit moreif you are good on a reed.

I've used sceery for years too, but have finally quit carrying them because they are too high maintenance. I'm not a fan of the mechanical push calls like theHoochie Mamma. (I'll justify that by saying I think they require too much movement close in, and they are too big).

Quick Reply: what elk call do you think work the best???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.