Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 what  elk call do you think work the best??? >

what elk call do you think work the best???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what elk call do you think work the best???

Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 AM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: what elk call do you think work the best???

Hoochie mama, took 3 bulls useing it , 2 bow 1 rifle. I carry mine in the leg pocket of my hunting pants and when the elk are close I just use it still in the pocket.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like my Hoochie Momma but I prefer my Primos mouth calls.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I generally have 3 with me so as to make some different sounds on the same hunt. I usually use them in this order, from most to least:

Primos double reed diaphragm
Primos single hyperlip
hoochie mamma

As most long time elk hunters will tell you, the diaphragm can't be beat. It took me a long time to ever master one. They don't make me gag, but always tickled the roof of my mouth. When they came out with the ones with an extra part that comes between the rubber diaphram and the roof of your mouth, that solved that problem.

If you haven't gotten Elknut's CD's about making elk sounds, you should. Best how to calling elk I have seen.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

geeee alot of u are dissing on the hoochie momma
Old 02-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Anyone use the primos terminator?Just wondering - seems kind of cumbersome...
Old 02-15-2007, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: SEAG

Anyone use the primos terminator?Just wondering - seems kind of cumbersome...
Yes, I use the terminator. Is it cumbersome? yes, but not any more than any other bugle. The trick when you aren't using it is to rotate it around behind you and let it rest on top of your pack when not using it. I don't think the terminator has the greatest sound (it can sound kind of squeaky) but it's pretty easy to learn and it can be good enough to fool an elk. When I finally learned how to use diaphram calls this year I just pulled the call piece off of the terminator and used the tube and my diaphram to bugle. If I want to try varying my sound or if I want a call that will be louder I just put the call piece back in and use it.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

I use and have good luck calling with a Primos cow call, looks sorta like a clear green plastic duck call. Had good luck calling in bulls, just no luck killing one.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Isn't that really the point of a good call as opposed to an average call. Sure the user has a lot to do with it but so does the call !!! It's the same with bugles that so many claim to work well, when in fact most aren't that good at all until you dump the external reed & use a mouth reed instead with the grunt tube!

As SilverTip says, he and many others get elk to respond but in many cases they just don't show. Why, because everyone sounds good at 150+yards. But as you get closer most any of us can pick out an imposter, either by crappy sounds or just saying the wrong thing, elk aren't much different! Now things change a bit if you're able to hunt primarily private land or ranches where they see little hunter harrassment.

Your absolute best type of cow calls are mouth reeds such as the Scream N Tormentor or the Ivory Plate. For external cow calls Hyper Lip Single --Estrus Whine--Fighting Cow Call--Cow Talk--Whose Your DaDDy--ones like these have great sound tone, of course one must practice & perfect his own unique sounds. From chirps & mews to pleading or simply inviting a bull or cow to you! Then there's distress sounds lost sounds seperated sounds excited sounds & so on. If you don't know what each sound is by just hearing it then how do you know what sound you're relaying vocally to other elk. This is where most callers go wrong, the right sound & patience to wait for elk to show are key factors, much more so than a great call or medocre call.

Good Luck!!---ElkNut1
Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 PM

I just got back from my first elk calling contest and I got to judge! I had a ton of fun and learned a lot and got to meet some really wonderful people! I heard some really amazing callers and I also heard a couple of really bad callers. To be honest no one really cared because for $25.00 each of the contestants got a chance to call for 2 minutes and then they all got entered into a raffle to win a $4500.00 elk hunt with Kootenai Outfitters in British Columbia. With eleven hunters the odds were fantastic!

The best caller in the place was the one who won the youth contest and he was absolutely fantastic. We also had a really great young girl who won the pee-wee division and at 6 years old she would could blow a call!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:33 PM

BTW: The best call you can have is the one you blow well and are willing to practice with! No call is ever going to be perfect if you are not willing to practice with it and listen to a ton of natural elk bugles and mimic the sounds that you hear!