Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunting With A .50 Caliber BMG? >

Hunting With A .50 Caliber BMG?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Hunting With A .50 Caliber BMG?

Old 01-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Hunting With A .50 Caliber BMG?

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I did a search and could not find anything.

So, Field & Stream published this article and I feel it makes no sense at all. Probably not a very smart thing to do.

Personally, I do not feel this is hunting, rather target practice on live animals. Irregardless if they have never lost an animal, I just don't see the need to shoot at an animal that is 800-1000 yards away.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/hunting/photogallery/article/0,13355,1575411,00.html
Old 01-26-2007, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Hunting With A .50 Caliber BMG?

I posted a thread on this exact topic a coupel of days ago, but others did not seem real interested. I think that a .50 BMG is a little overkill for my tastes, but to each their own.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1950500
Old 01-26-2007, 03:26 PM

This is stupid, i can't believe Field and Stream even wasted their time by writing an article on it.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Spike

Long range hunting has become the craze as of late because of articles like these and other TV shows.

If yourefer The Best of the West TV show, you will see much shooting skill andlittle hunting skill. They sometimes try to take the longest shots possible without even trying to stalk the animal. Although it is sometimes amazing the shots they connect,I think the overall message being sent is that it is cool to go out and shoot at big game at 750+ yards.

Here is a scenario I saw in BOTW Promo. The first animal they shot was an elk at 743 yards across two canyons just before dark. What if he misread the wind and gut shot, or leg shot the elk. That bull could have ran for hours with no time for a fast recovery because (1) They were two canyons away (2) It was nearing dark.

Although they attach many disclaimers talking of many hours of practice with completely accurized rifles and optics to match. I think they miss the point. Hunting isn't about how far away you shoot an animal, it is how close you can get to an animal to make an ethical kill. No matter what, the chances of merely wounding an animal greatly increase the further away you are.I have heard of too many people go out thinking they have what it tkaes to make shots like that and end up filling animals full of holes because of the many variables they fail to realize likeenergy loss and actual wind speed.

Remember, the only animals they show are the quick kills, they don't show the wounded animals.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:53 PM

What 400 yards is ok, but a thousand is stupid? Those guys shoot better at 800 yards then alot of people do it 150, I say the ladder is stupid. For God sakes there are articles about people sitting in trees waiting to stick deer that arre walking down a trail, is that stupid too? I admire the long range shooters and would like to get into it myself.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Justice4All, I agree with you. Sure there are a few people with the "right" equipment who practice tirelessly with it and hone their long distance shooting skills over time. They probably can get away with a very long shot. Can they do it always? I have my doubts.
Yes, anyone can screw up a 150 yds shot, if they doubt practice and use their brain, too. But multiply that X 5 and the vast majority of shots taken won't end up with a clean kill for all except those very few. It's like training to be a sniper. It's different than learning to use all your skills, shooting, stalking, knowledge of the game, patterns, etc. that's every bit as much or more a part of the hunt than just taking and making "the long shot".
Old 01-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

i think that it would make a good squirrel gun
Old 01-27-2007, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know the only deer I have ever lost was the closest shot I have ever had. .270 at 10 yards isnt going to expand like it should. And that is exactly what happened to me. I have taken deer all the way out to 500 yards and no I dont like it but if you can do it ---- do it. I have shot the .50 bmg many times and I currently own one. It still is no cure for poor shooting. In the army we shot it at 1000 meters alot. It is very capable of that. But you have to hit what you shoot at.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:39 PM

The 50 BMG is way too big to shoot an animal with. I would think it would destroy the meat!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Slight overkill I would think, but to each his/her own I suppose

Quick Reply: Hunting With A .50 Caliber BMG?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.