Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Google Earth

Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Google Earth

Has anyone used the Google Earth satellite imagery program for pre-scouting purposes? If so, what unique or interesting ways has it helped you before you went into the field? If you are using it to look at area you have already hunted, has the program taught you something you didn't already know?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 PM

Default RE: Google Earth

Well i find it didnt really help me in the mountainous area's cause its pretty much all green and you cant get a sense of the depth with the hills but in flatter area's i could pre-scout coulee's and tree lines and such for deer.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:28 AM

i use it alot with my usaphoto. you can place your waypoints from your gps on the google earth, to kind of help check your hunting areas. i really like the tilt feature, it helps show bowls, benches , and actually how far down the mountain goes. plus i have been able to find so hunting places to check out. and you can get a rough idea on distance to new areas, so you know roughly how far your gonna hike.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:09 AM

Hey thanks bkkeys i didnt know about the tilt feature on it, wow thats awesome
Old 01-25-2007, 10:17 AM

[/align]I haven't looked at google lately ,I like the yahoo maps better with the roads maked and named it helps me alot .I do spend alot of time studing maps or should I say downloading them in to my brain.I carry arials everywhere I go.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

bkkeys,

I am not the most technically proficient person in the world, so I was wondering if you could explain exactly how you are using the gps to plot way points into GE. This sounds like a great way to learn/scout.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love it. Use it daily for hunting and fishing purposes.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Spike

I tried google earth a couple of times but couldn't get the resolution I needed.
I'm now using USAPhotoMaps (www.jdmcox.com) along with the CDOW mapping tool.
They are great tools for researching various units in CO.
Once I find an area, I normally print out the satellite photo and Topographical maps on opposite sides of waterproof paper. It folds up nicely and easily fits in a shirt pocket. The maps usually lasts for at least one season.
AB
Old 01-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Typical Buck

I use the free version, the 400.00 version is better.

Frankly tho, a 1947 topo and a compass work as well as anything.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had mixed results with Google Earth. Some map areas are relatively detailed, at least so you can pick out features of ridges, draws, creeks and other major structures. Other map areas, it's poor resolution and you can see little more that shading. It may be enough to find woods vs. grassland. Yes, the elevation feature is good to help distinguish topo features.

I also have used MS Virtual Earth. Though the field of view is somewhat limited, the maps seems to be better detail. I've used both to get an idea of new hunting areas the woodland, elevations, etc. to limit the time on the ground of where to start.

Quick Reply: Google Earth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.