HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Eating Bear???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/176131-eating-bear.html)

atcfisherman 01-19-2007 10:45 AM

Eating Bear????

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do people eat bear and if so, what do they taste like? We don't have any bear where I live, but I have always wondered about this.

losthwy 01-19-2007 10:50 AM

RE: Eating Bear????

I never have eaten any, all I know about bear meat is you have to treat it like pork and cook it throughly.

CervidSlayer 01-19-2007 10:55 AM

Man, bear meat is greasier than a head full of "Soul Glow"

I would eat it if I were starving, but other than tasting it for the sake of curiosity...stay away from the grease dude.:D

DARKSIDE55 01-19-2007 12:04 PM

Me as well as a lot of my guests eat their bears. If you know how to cook it, it's great! Like the other post said, it's like pork. The 2 big No No's are...no fat left on the meat (it's for waterproofing your boots). No blood left in the meat. Hamburger and roast are fine. Just add pork fat to the hamburger...not bear fat. We have all of ours made into pepperettes or slim jims. You'd never even know they are bear. Most people think they are moose or caribou.

YooperKenny 01-19-2007 02:03 PM

Bear meat is delicious. We cut the backstraps into steaks, use some of the hind quarters for roasts, and burger up the rest.

Agreed you need to get rid of ALL bear fat on the meat. Also critical to chill it down right away after the bruin expires. The death moan will send a chill down your spine!

GoatSlayer 01-19-2007 04:45 PM

I've taken 12 bear over the years and don't care for it. But I have a buddy who eats it. He does take off every inch of fat and just loves it. Me I'll pass. Sometimes he has pepper sticks made out of them and those aren't half bad. Glad he takes them and eats them else I would have to stop bear hunting. Won't kill it if I won't eat it. Or find somebody else that will.

mallard stalker 01-19-2007 05:46 PM

I haven't but my dad has and he says it's great almost tender!:)

AmateurHunter44857 01-19-2007 07:23 PM

My uncle hunts them in NY and i had bear for the first time and he made steaks and threw them on the grill, omg it was sooooo good! I still prefer Venison and Elk and Caribou but the bear was very tasty.

MinnFinn 01-20-2007 01:39 AM

The only time I've eaten it was over 30 years ago when we had a big black bruin that was hanging around the place and trying to get into our house in northern MN. He wouldn't take the warnings, so we put him down.
Like already said, the fat is very strong and you want to get it off completely. It's very lean otherwise. I don't recall it was anything special to eat. Certainly, it's not anything as good as Elk or venison, at least what little I've tasted.
I always wonder too about some of the rotten stuff (animals) they eat. I just don't hunt them for that reason and if they stay away, I don't go looking for them.

atcfisherman 01-20-2007 03:53 AM

Sounds like a lot of work and possibility an aquired taste. Thanks for the replys. I have always wondered about this question, but since I don't live in bear country, I didn't know the answer.

I did talk to a native indian once who said they eat bear every once in a while.