Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 caliber advice for big game >

caliber advice for big game

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

caliber advice for big game

Old 01-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Spike

Default caliber advice for big game

Currently I have a .243 and .204, but am looking to add probably two more rifles to the collection. One would be a dedicated deer rifle so that I could let my son use the .243 when he's old enough to go with me. I'd like something a little bigger and so I was thinking .25-06 or 7mm-08.

I'd also like something for an elk or moose hunt that I'm saving up for in a couple of years. Frankly, I don't like recoil, and so I'd like to go with either a non-magnum, or one of the smaller magnums, but I definately want something adequate to take anything in N. America with the exception of maybe a grizz. I'm considering .30-06, 7mm mag, .300 WSM, and .300wm. I'm also planning on getting started on reloading soon, and so I thought the combination of a 7mm-08 and 7mm mag would let me use the same bullets for both, or atleast try the same for both.

Because I'm kind of anti-recoil, the thought of a .300wm scares me a bit. Are there any other aspects to this debate that I am overlooking? Does it matter which of those 4 I choose, or would any of them suit me fine? Oh, and it's not that my frame couldn't handle the recoil (6' 185lbs), I just don't like it and would be afraid that I would be less accurate.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: caliber advice for big game

If you don't like recoil then don't shoot a .300WM (I assume that is short for Weatherby Magnum). That is a hog of a round but my goodness is shoots sweet. Luckily recoil doesn't bother me at all. However, you could try the Limbsavers buttpads. They claim to reduce recoil by 50%, but who knows. I don't think there is a rifle out there for moose and elk that won't kick pretty hard. If you want a hard hitting round, then you are going to have to put up with the recoil. That is the nature of the beast.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:56 PM

If your recoil sensitive You shouldn't choose any of the magnums. My suggestion would be to purchase a 280 rem it would be perfect for what you described Its in between the 7mm-08 and 7mag in preformance. The 280 is more than adequate for elk/Moose/caribou etc. with premium 140 gr.+ bullets;and its an awesome deer round. Another fine choice would be the venerable ole 30-06 though the 280 gives slightly better trajectory with less recoil IMHO. With a good Limbsaver pad the 280 is a pleasure to shoot.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

If your recoil sensitive You shouldn't choose any of the magnums. My suggestion would be to purchase a 280 rem it would be perfect for what you described Its in between the 7mm-08 and 7mag in preformance. The 280 is more than adequate for elk/Moose/caribou etc. with premium 140 gr.+ bullets;and its an awesome deer round. Another fine choice would be the venerable ole 30-06 though the 280 gives slightly better trajectory with less recoil IMHO. With a good Limbsaver pad the 280 is a pleasure to shoot.
Agreed, you wouldn't need to save or buy a deer rifle as the 280 rem would fit the bill nicely their as well. Though if leaning towards a 7mm 08 purchase the 280 rem also use the same .284 bullets so that would allow you do the same as with the 7mm rem mag without the extra report.

I myself use a 7mm rem mag for upto Mooseand find tolerable with a bummed shoulder. I have a Pachmyer Decel Pad on wood stock 700 action, to my shoulder it feels less then my partners 280 rem abolt medallion. His gun is smaller/lighter, factory padand doesn't fit me worth a hoot, no doubt the main reason why I feel it more. Weight and fit of the rifle does make a difference in regards to felt recoil. The aftermarket poads also do help a lot in this area as well.

The 7mm rem mag would certainly do nicely as well but apples to apples in rifle styles/models will recoil sharper& more muzzle blast then the 280.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:02 PM

For a deer only gun i think that either the 25-06 or the 7mm-08, will do just fine, and as for a bigger game gun that doesnt have too much recoil either go with the 7mm or the 30.06 i for one shot a 30.06 Mossberg with a stock recoil pad and it doesnt bother me at all and i find it drops the elk and moose just fine.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the 06 and your bases are covered with one gun, lots of factory loads available to suit whatever you hunt.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:14 PM

Faced with the same basic decision to make, I chose the 7mm Rem Mag, because it shoots as flat as the .270 and hits as hard as the 30.06. Its recoil is comparable to the 30.06. I use 140-150 grain bullets for whitetails, and plan to use it this fall for caribou in Quebec, and then for moose in Ontario and elk out west in years to come. But that's just me, and we all know you can't have too many guns
Old 01-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a low-recoil round, then get a 7mm-08 or a .308. I have a .308, and I love it, it doesn't recoil much too, and if you use the 180 grain loads, it'll be enough to take down an elk.

180 grains only recoils 17.2 lbs, or something like that. If you want to help reduce the felt recoil, you should lift weights, and benchpress at the gym. I do that, and it really helps.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Get a little spacing between your rounds. If you get a .270, and a .30-06 or a 7mm RM, you've basically bought the same thing twice.

You've got a .243. I'd get two of it's big brothers: a 7mm-08and a .338 Federal. Or, instead of the 7-08, you might consider a .308.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

If you don't like recoil then don't shoot a .300WM (I assume that is short for Weatherby Magnum). That is a hog of a round but my goodness is shoots sweet. Luckily recoil doesn't bother me at all. However, you could try the Limbsavers buttpads. They claim to reduce recoil by 50%, but who knows. I don't think there is a rifle out there for moose and elk that won't kick pretty hard. If you want a hard hitting round, then you are going to have to put up with the recoil. That is the nature of the beast.
Exactly. To my knowledge, there is no low recoil rifle that is good for big game. The lightest round I would use for big game is a .270, but it has some recoil. .223 and 7.63x39 are ok for white tail, and they dont have any recoil. 30-06 is my #1 choice for big game. 300WM is a great round!!! And the limbsavers take the recoil down to COMPLETLY TOLERABLE. I would agree with 50% I use one on my Mosin Nagant---one of the hardest hitters out there. Especially cause it has a steel butt plate

Quick Reply: caliber advice for big game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.