Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 what elk calls would you use?? >

what elk calls would you use??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what elk calls would you use??

Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what elk calls would you use??

The hyper lip single is my favorite, most effective call, and I'll even give a nod to the one dimensional Hoochie mama also, not much good by itself for calling a bull to you, but it is easy to use along with another mouth blwon call to sound like mulitple cows.
For bugle tubes, I also prefer the ELK models, but when it comes right down to it, the bulls we usually call in, are coming to cow calling!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:19 AM

hoochie mama is easy to use while walking to help elk who might hear any noise you make think you are an elk. I use diaphrams of all different brands, I practice with them until I find which calls I like the best,and they are the ones I use while hunting.

I suggest you go to www.elknut1.com and checkout what he offers.

I like to bugle and cow call with the diaphrams during the rut. It is such a rush to get a bull to bugle back at your calls.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:06 PM

I second the elknut video recommendation. The videos are awesome. You'll learn more from those videos than you can learn in multiple trips to the mountains.

My bag contains several elk calls I'll list the top 4in order of preference/usage:
1. Primo's Lead Cow
2. Primo's hyper lips single
3. E.L.K. Power Bugle
4. Carlton single reed diaphragm

Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to remember is be versatile. Any call can be overused, if the sea of hunters are all using Hochie Mamas, do you realy think elk will be quick to respond? On the other hand if no one is using it then it will work like magic. I think I own almost every elk call known to man. Each are good depending upon on how the elk are acting that year. I mostly use diaphrams for all my cow and bull sounds. There isn't a sound that I can't make with a diaphram callthat real elk make.If I do use a external reed, or push me type callI use it sparingly with caution. After all if a bull has been busted by a hunter using a popular type of call and then I come along be it the same day or week or even month and I am using the same call. Do you think I will actually fool him? Only if he is a realy stupid elk, and in my experience there are not many of those left in the wild. Also learn to be proficent and let it flow like real elk do mixing in as many different elk sounds as you can that sound good (ie real). Don't worry about sounding perfect or huge. Leave that to the competition elk callers (like myself) to perform on stage at contests. In the woods if I sounded like I was on stage I would have the elk running away very fast. I agree withthe advice and knowledge that elknut (Paul) has to offer its 100% right onin my opinion and experience.Last year I started a elk hunting tips thread its long but its full of excellent advice from many of excellent and successful elk hunters. His is the link
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1016246&mpage=1&key==
Old 01-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

well for a cow call NO DOUGHT ABOUT IT HOUCHIE MOMMA. and for a bull i would go with some sort of primos.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 PM

i would deffinitly go with the primos hoochie mama