HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Cartridge Choice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/174314-cartridge-choice.html)

Whitehorn 01-10-2007 09:15 AM

RE: Cartridge Choice

Try another approach, what about optics that compensate? Personally I would stick with the 30/06, 180 grain Barnes TSXand buy the Leupold VX-III with the Boone & Crocket Big Game Reticle.

Or if burning powder is your gig then get yourself this big bore: the .416 Meteror!! http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lacart.htm

Actually, I just read the ballistics and it drops too much at 400 yards.. Never mind..

Justice4all 01-10-2007 12:44 PM

I can get a 6 lb .300 Win Mag
Yes, you can get a 6 lb 300 win mag, but at what cost? Are you willing to pay the cost to get a custom or high priced lightweight 300 Win? Or will you buy the 300 WSM factory gun sitting next to it that weighs6 1/2 lbs for 1/4 the cost.

Plus you willsacrifice performance of the lightened 300 Win becauseyou will most likely be changing the barrel length or diameter to lighten the rifle, which either means you won't be fully burning your 71 gr powder charge, or you will be overheating your ultra thin profile barrel. Either way you are sacrificing accuracy or velocityfor weight.

the .300 WSM, per bullet weight, has a maximum of 2 ft lbs less recoil, that isn't that big of a deal
There are many more variables to recoil than just bullet weight.Let's compare gun weight. The recoil of a 6lb 300 Win vs. a 6 lb 300 WSM both loaded with factory 180's.The 300 Winwill recoil a lot harder.You have to remember bullet weight is not the only factor in measuring recoil.Powder charge is another factor, but we already proved the WSM had the Win beat on this one for less recoil.

And there are other factors notfigured into the equation that change the felt recoil of a rifle. The stock designcan change the felt recoil of a rifle. Say for instance, If you alter the stock to make a 6lb 300 Win, you will most likely be increasing the felt recoil of the rifle.

what the WSM does, is offer less reliable feeding
This really depends on the rifle. I have seen plenty of binding bolts on rifles, and it didn't matter what caliber it was chambered for. You are making a general comment and attaching it to the 300 WSM with no credibility.

less availible ammo
By whose standards? Yours?Every ammo store I go to has 300 WSM. Plus there are more and more manufacturers loading for the 300 WSM all the time. What started out as just Win. loading for itwhen it first came out, we now have loads fromWin, Rem, Federal,and other smaller manufacturers. Yup,the bigammunition manufacturersare chambering and loading for the 300 WSM.There are definately more signs pointing toit being around for a while than obsoleting in ten years.

I have no problem with ammo supply, I reload my own. When this argument started we weretalking about handloads anyway. For every rifle I own there is always plenty of ammo available.

it might not be around in 10 years
You must be confusing the 300 SAUM with the WSM. This is another general comment based on what? Do you have some sort of proof to back this little theory of yours?I have a lot more evidence to prove you wrong on this one.

I guess you buy into hype pretty easily
Sure I do! becauseit means getting ashorter action, lighter weight,lower recoiling rifle for practically the same performance without spending thousands for a custom gun. Who wouldn't want that?

Face it man the 300 WSM fills a niche that the 300 Win can't.

the .300 WSM, will not make the .300 Win Mag obsolete
You are correct in this statement. The 300 Win will stay around for a longtime because it is a very useful cartridge.

Well, you are from Alaska, and hunt "real" big game, so, I should just stop argueing
This is the most correct statement you have made yet. :D

GooseHunter Jr. 01-10-2007 12:56 PM

Accoriding to Federal Ammuntion the 200 grain Bullet for the 300 WM will drop 26.6 inches at 400 yds. The .338WM shooting a 210 grain bullet wikll drop 23.3 inches at 400 yds.

Foot pounds of energy:

.338 - 1828
.300 - 1551

Pretty close...but I still choose my .338 over all of them.

Pighunter56 01-10-2007 04:03 PM

Justice, I have a Savage .300 Win Mag, 24" barrel, which comes in at a whopping 6.5 lbs, scope and all, so, you are incorrect in that sense, I haven't had any problems getting 1/2" groups off the bench, the .300 WSM does not fill a niche the .300 Win Mag doesn't, I don't remember people griping about bolt length before the WSM's, now that they have come out, thats an excuse everyone is using, all rebated rim cartridges are less reliable at feeding compared to belted cartridges, didn't you know that? I have proof to support my claim that th3 .300 WSM isn't doing so hot, it isn't in the top 20 list of sales, more popular, "proven" cartridges are ahead of it, as they rightfully should be, face it you bought the .300 WSM because you wanted to try something new, and now, you are just trying to validate owning it. And yes, I hate all Winchester Sucky Mags.:D

M77man 01-10-2007 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: GooseHunter Jr.

Accoriding to Federal Ammuntion the 200 grain Bullet for the 300 WM will drop 26.6 inches at 400 yds. The .338WM shooting a 210 grain bullet wikll drop 23.3 inches at 400 yds.

Foot pounds of energy:

.338 - 1828
.300 - 1551

I don't know where you've gotten that info. Most the research that I've done in the past shows a 300 Win Mag will out perform a 338

M77man 01-10-2007 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

Justice, I have a Savage .300 Win Mag, 24" barrel, which comes in at a whopping 6.5 lbs, scope and all, so, you are incorrect in that sense, I haven't had any problems getting 1/2" groups off the bench, the .300 WSM does not fill a niche the .300 Win Mag doesn't, I don't remember people griping about bolt length before the WSM's, now that they have come out, thats an excuse everyone is using, all rebated rim cartridges are less reliable at feeding compared to belted cartridges, didn't you know that? I have proof to support my claim that th3 .300 WSM isn't doing so hot, it isn't in the top 20 list of sales, more popular, "proven" cartridges are ahead of it, as they rightfully should be, face it you bought the .300 WSM because you wanted to try something new, and now, you are just trying to validate owning it. And yes, I hate all Winchester Sucky Mags.:D
The 300 WSM is only slightly more efficient by about 100 fps and foot pounds of energy, no real difference in trajectory. Dead is dead out to 500 yards and both fit the bill nicely for large bear but the WSM offers a slight advantage in that department. But no, for Moose and less the Win Mag is all you need.

Pighunter56 01-10-2007 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: M77man

ORIGINAL: GooseHunter Jr.

Foot pounds of energy:

.338 - 1828
.300 - 1551

I don't know where you've gotten that info. Most the research that I've done in the past shows a 300 Win Mag will out perform a 338
Outperform, maybe in trajectory, but, the .338 will have more energy when it gets there.

Justice4all 01-10-2007 06:39 PM

I have a Savage .300 Win Mag, 24" barrel, which comes in at a whopping 6.5 lbs, scope and all, so, you are incorrect in that sense
I am calling a big BS on this! There is no way Savage builds a 300 Win. rifle that weighs 6.5 lbs with scope. For this to be true a bare rifle with an averageweight scope of 12-13 oz with mounts at 2-3oz your rifle would have to weigh right around 5.5 lbs which isthe same as Browning A-bolt Ti WSM. Savage doesn't build it. Confirmed --BS

I haven't had any problems getting 1/2" groups off the bench,
I don't doubt it, Savages are great shooters. I won't even try to disprove this.

face it you bought the .300 WSM because you wanted to try something new, and now, you are just trying to validate owning it.
No, not really. I just happened to find a more compact rifle capable of magnum ballistics, in a lightweight package without spending thousands on a custom rifle. I don't have to validate my rifle to anyone. My rifle only has to validate itself to me. And it does every time I take it out of the safe.

it isn't in the top 20 list of sales
Who cares? The 300 WSMdoesnot need popularity to perform.

And yes, I hate all Winchester Sucky Mags.
And this statement allows me to gauge the maturity level of whom I am dealing with. Thanks for continuing to give me ammo to shoot you down.Despite what you think, most of the readers here are quite respectful and will be able to muddle through the BS. I applaud you for your persistance in trying to prove a point, but don't try to BS me or the readers of this forum again.
The 300 WSM is here to stay whether you like it or not.

Pighunter56 01-10-2007 07:27 PM

Correction, the gun weigh 7.5 lbs with scope, I'm not convinced about the lighter rifle concept, I'm just about ready to say, whatever you like, go with it, if you like that WSM, fine, but, I'm gonna shoot my .300 Win Mag all i want, and I never want to hear anyone say, that the .300 WSM outperforms the .300 Win Mag, because, that is just boloney. Oh sure, the WSm's perform, but, none of them, except the .270 WSM, can outperform their predecessor.

Pighunter56 01-10-2007 07:30 PM

You were born in '78, I see, that explains it, you are from this new school generation of shooters who think they are superior in some way, you arn't even 30 years old yet, so just keep on talking, youngster. I've been hunting and shooting, longer then you've been around.