Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 The BEST bear bait in my book >

The BEST bear bait in my book

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The BEST bear bait in my book

Old 01-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The BEST bear bait in my book

game4lunch, what are you mixing with your oats now? We use molasses and fryer grease with oats in 45 gal drum. You don't want it soupy just a nice sticky mixwith it coated well. Then take fryers grease and pour it out in a circle aroundyour bait barrel this will act as a trail marker for your bait.

Best bait IMO is beaver. We string them up in the trees with wire cages to limit what the bear gets. The oats and mix keeps them satisfied but the beaver is the main attraction.

I have also heard a lot of guys who use the smoking sticks with good success either ansine or 10 miles of dead fish scent.

I don't think baiting is unethical. In my area it's either baiting or checking oat fileds in the fringe areas for actively hunting bear. In the spring season it is about the only way to hunt bears, unless you just happen upon one roaming.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

My trash can works pretty good when I don;t dump it. There like a nusaince dog. Donuts and pototoes chips are good.

Bobby
Old 01-04-2007, 12:32 PM

skeeter, I've never used oats. But was wanting to try it after watching several Canadian bear hunts. Seems to be an affordable way to go. And effective! Just wasn't sure what to mix with it. I'll be trying molassis for sure.

The grease is so the bear tracks it as it leaves the bait, right?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

skeeter, I've never used oats. But was wanting to try it after watching several Canadian bear hunts. Seems to be an affordable way to go. And effective! Just wasn't sure what to mix with it. I'll be trying molassis for sure.

The grease is so the bear tracks it as it leaves the bait, right?
The oats mixed with grease &molasses/honey/icing sugar is a staple up here. It really appeals to the bears; oats for sustance, smell in the grease and sweet in a sugar based product. Like you mentioned it's cheap but effective. Muchbetter than meat scraps especially when starting the bait in the spring and plug issues! Though nothing wrong with sprucing a bait after it is running with meat scrapes or fish for additional lure.

Yes the grease poured out around is to leave a scent trail for other bears to your bait. Should be freshen up once a week min. Some also add instant powder drink mix or jello to the grease ring.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

my favorites. pop corn- dry dog food and-syrup the cheapest stuff you can buy!
Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Skeeter has the right mix been using that mix with added (stuff) for years and baits get active right any.

As for the Mollasses......use the cattle feed type real cheap 20 bucks for a 5 gallon pail. We also use the real cheap dry dog food.

So our mix is Lots of Oats, fryer grease (in the barrel as well as around it) dog food Mollasses, Bread, and meatscrapes from Butchers. As well as the sceret weapon!!

BEAVERS!!!! We have beaver boxes! made of heavy steel mesh so bears can claw away at beavers but not steal them

Old 01-20-2007, 12:07 PM

My relatives in Alaska have taken several bear over a mix of simply cheap dog food and powdered suger.

They don't allow baiting in Oregon, so I haven't put that mix to the text myself..

Old 01-20-2007, 03:43 PM

I got quite a few pails of used cooking oil from kfc which seems to work awesome mixed up with some oats and thrown in a 45 gallon drum. Be careful not to make to hole too big you want the bear to roll it around for awhile and have to work for his dinner. Check out your local doghnut shops as well they sometimes give away old stuff which is mmmm good to a bear. And for the beavers, i tie on to the tail of a beaver with some bailing twine and tie the other end to my hatchet, throw the hatchet over a high up strong limb then pull the beaver up the tree and tie the other end up. Make the critters climb up there to get attem. The point is not just to bait, but to keep the bear there as long as possible and make him work for food. I also work summers at a honey bee business so i have plenty of old honey that my boss gives away to me. I usually melt this up and pour it on the ground and all over the barrel.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go to the wonder bread store and buy racks of out dated bread and donuts. It is 6.00 a rack and I can fill a pickup for 12.00. I dump the bread into large trash sacks to get the bread in. I use a lawn rake to rough up the ground before pouring the grease. The grease plays as key roll in getting a network of trails going too and from. I use rotten rockchucks here in Idaho as beaver cannot be used. I string 2-3 in the trees and replace as needed. The stench is aweful, but brings the bears in from a long ways away. Sardines work real well also when put in a sack. I beleive any bait would work great, however, the key is in the advertising. That is where the grease trail network and the stink bait comes into play.

I know many will differ in the amount of bait to use, but I like to put about 10-12 days worth of food out and stay the heck out. The bears will come and go as they please without any human intervention. In this time the bears will establish a pecking order in which they feed. I have found that with good advertisment many bears will start gorging themselves for days on end. As the pile starts to dwindle they are used to filling their guts and start to get more frequent in their visits. I will then sneek in and setup and usually have action even through the middle of the day. With this method, I can hunt areas further away with great success as I don't have to bait every other day or so. I spend a whole day to set up, wait 10-12 days and go get my bear.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

we mixoats, corn, mollases, and crushed cookies, it works well, but remember to keep a kill bait that you put out a day or so before the hunt that the bears havent seen yet and really like, for me that is blackberry preserves over chocolate doghnuts, they cant lay off...