" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's >

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler
View Poll Results: A poll
YES
18.32%
NO
71.76%
MAYBE
9.92%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Old 12-28-2006, 06:40 PM

Default does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

I know a guy that comes on here as bullet hole bailey,He believe's that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's,I think he is CRAZY
Old 12-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Are you serious?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

I know Iwouldn't want to tick either one off, especially if its a sow and I'm between its cubs, or it's wounded
Old 12-28-2006, 09:28 PM

I have been between a sow and her cubs black bear, and she took off like a bat outa heck and left her cubs. I have also run into a few blackies walking down logging roads, I just yell "git" and every one took off. Once, while hunting elk in the plains area, my buddy and I spotted a huge black bear and we ambled out of the car to get a shot. He took off into the black timber and we walked over to the edge, we could hear him hissin and poppin, we decided we pushed our luck far enough and left him alone. We have both been growled at at night as well. IMO a big black bear that has been around for awhile acts a little different than a younger one. Some of the old blackies have just gotten used to being the badest thing out there and they have a little different attitude. I still would rather run into a black as opposed to a griz.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are more people injured or killed by black bears than by grizzlies...

There is a good reason for this..There are MANY more black bears on the continent than there are grizzley bears, and they live in areas where there they are in contact with people much more than grizzleys...

On an individual basis grizzley bears tend to be more aggressive than blacks..If they were as numerous as blacks and lived in less remote places where they were in closer contact with humans, I expect that there would be more incidents involving grizzley bears than black bears...
Old 12-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

9 times outa 10 a black bear will skiddadle when humans are near by.You would be lucky to get a 50/50 with griz.
BUT
If you are ever followed and attacked by a black bear you best be fighting for your life,cause he's got one plan and that is to eat ya.Generaly when a griz attacks he is supprised or protecting something,but there are the rouge's that will rather eat ya either way.
BBJ
Old 12-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess thats why you dont put the doe pee on your clothes
Trappers have a harder time keeping the scent off of themselves.If its not the actual lure on them,it comes from handeling all the animals.Man, after a day you stink like beaver,coyotes,fox,skunk,etc.It takes me 2 weeks to smell human again after a seasion.Ill bet i smell like a smorgasboard!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Ditto what BBJ said. The grizz has a nasty disposition and will attack with little provocation. If you play dead it will often leave you. A black bear is far more abundant and will usually run away when confronted.When they do attack it is usually for a meal and you need to fight for your life because it wants to eat you. It happens every couple of years in Canada.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what the others have said. You're far less likely to be attacked by a black but if it does attack you're chances of being killed are far greater. In other words, if you're attacked by a black bear you better kill it first or hurt it enough to escape or it will kill you.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:07 AM

Its true a Rogue blacky is bad bad bad never had a problem with one until
1999 when we had the rogue bear of Teton Village charge us.
We were no ware near The Village, they had captured and released him twice before. He made his run on us at mid day , note5 men 5 horses and he still came at us, I was checking the tack on the horses when their ears
all pointed to one spot about 100 yds out of camp. He stood up and then started to circle our camp. We flew into action and well... No more Rogue
bear. Hear is a pic he had so many gun shot wounds it was pathetic, we found all manner of shotgun shot and small caliber rounds embedded in his thick fat layer, Fish and game were glad to be rid of him.

Quick Reply: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.