Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question? >

Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

In thebowhunting forumthere is a thread about the hunters killing wolves in wisconson. Its several pages long nowand I am not sure if anyone realy cares,so I am wondering/have a few question for everyone. Question #1,if you could have a say in a new wolf law, would you vote to keep them protected or some form of protection? Or would you vote to have the right to hunt them/shoot them like coyotes?Qustion #2,I want to know if you got the chance to shoot one now,(SSS style) and you knew for a fact that there is nobody around and you wouldn't get caught, would you do it? Even though its against the law?

Be honest with you feelings and please respond to this. I'll go first

Question #1. YES I would vote to hunt them.

Question #2. YES I would support SSS, for those who say I am a criminal, well think of our forfathersat the boston tea party. Need Isay more..?

One last thing I posted a reply about the WI wolves in the bowhunt form, but I feel it can apply here as well, so I just copied itword for word enjoy.

I find ironic that the hunters who come to the wolfs aid/support are the ones who don't have to live with them or they live where they can hunt them. The wolves have done damageto our elk herds here in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming and continue to do so until we stand up and do something about it.Because of them,quite the number of hunts have been shut downdue to the lack of elk,also many outfitters have been put out of business. But yet when us locals gripe aboutit and bring up a few facts that we have seen with our own eyes. We are thenlabled as game hogs and idots for being misinformed because we don't have a degree in biology. For the most partnon huntersin general don't seem to care very much as long as thereare afew elk left in yelllowstone that they can see. So weelk hunters are on the loosing end of the stick so to speak.I myself look foward to the day when we can hunt and shootwolves like coyotes. Don't know when orif it will happen but we are sure trying to get some laws changed so it will.For the last three years I have hunted closer to home here in south east Idaho where the elk hunting is not as goodin years past as central Idaho was(my home away from home I grew up hunting there).But yet there are no wolves around and the elk still act like elk. I watched my favorite area around salmon Idaho go from glory to the dumps as far as the quality of elk hunting and number of elk. In my new area I amstill am punching my elk tag too, like I do most years, but I sure wonder if wolves move into my new area where will I go hunt next? Maybe if hunters nation wide saw wolves damage there favorite hunting spot then they would think twice before jumping on the pro wolf ban wagon. Then again maybe not? After all we have forgotten or disagreed with the reason our grandfathers got rid of the wolves in the first place.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Issue tags, obey the law. This ain't about independence from a oppressive monarchy.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Instructor.
I am also from Idaho and I have been watching the Wolf Pandemic very closely. I hunt around Council, Id. And have seen way to much wolf activity in the last few years up there. I have talked to a few sheep hearders up there and they said that they are not going to free ranger their sheep up there anymore due to the enormous wolf packs. He also told me that during the night a wolf pack came in and killed only his great perinees dogs. You know the big white ones. He said the wolves knew that was there only real threat so they took them out first. And then started devouring the flock of sheep. Is their a problem yes... Will I do something about it Yes! To answer your ?'s
1-Yes I would vote to hunt them..
2-Yes I will support the SSS program.!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I also agree that the majority of the people that are raising a fuss about the security of the wolves are people that don't have a clue what is really happening. They are people fromurban america who want to believe that they are cute little house pets. And that wolves are not a threat to the big game population. Primarily elk.. I hope thaturban america can open their eyes, and see what is really happening! My grandfather made it happen.. And so will I! I also wish to make one more point. The same people that raise a fuss with the wolves... Are the same people that don't stand behind our Commander in Chief! Support the War and your President.!!!!!!

Proud to Be a American!!!
As well as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer!
Old 12-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mudtutl

Issue tags, obey the law. This ain't about independence from a oppressive monarchy.
Thats exactly what its about independence from oppressive idiots.

Sheepeople thats what you are !!!!

Are you not educated enough to know when your head is wet to look up and see if its your roof that is leaking or is itsomeone pissing on your head?

It is a sorry state that this country is in that we allow our selves to be governed by the likes of these senseless morons.

Maybe we shouldn't shoot wolves, shooting wolf lovers would better for or forests.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I see one on my land I would shoot it. No question.

I would like to see a season on them where their numbers have already grown out of control. A bounty in these areas is probably already needed.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:10 PM

I live in Montana and shoulda known better than to stick my nose into a baited wolf debate string. I do find it interesting that a federal law enforcement officer advocates violating federal law.

Look, as a hunter I wish they hadn't reintroduced wolves. There's enough competition as is. But Irespect the animals for what they are: Apredator that has its place in the natural world.I don't buy all thefolklore about the wolves' murderous ways any more than I believe Little Red Riding Hoodwasreal. But wolves evoke strong emotion, none stronger than from the folks who raise our cattle and sheep, and I can understand their concern. The feds are killing a lot wolves that get a taste for domesticated meat, as they should. Eventually, though, it'll be time to turn management over to the states. When that happens, I hope they create a wolf season as a way to help manage the population. Like Bison and cougar, though, a hunting season alone won't accomplish the best management, and I guess state authorities will bekilling trouble wolves like the fedsdo know. But the "shoot, shovel and shut up" attitude doesn't contribute anything tothe situation. It sounds tough, but it's bull.

Let 'er rip...
Old 12-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The same government that people want to manage wolves is the same one that has this country & our children three trillion dollars in debt.To sit back and believe that these same people give a wet rats a$$ if wolves destroy the Eco system of their entire range you are sadly mistaken.
I don't hate the wolves ,I hate the morons that put the wolves into the middle of the rocky mountains instead of the middle of New York!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well there have been some great points mentioned. And I also admire the wolf. However, I fear them even more.. And yes I am a Law Enforcement Officer. But My Opinions are as a Sportsman! I have seen the damage done by the reintroduction. And will not stand for PUSHOVER SPORTSMAN to just say Oh Well, there is nothing we can do about it. Because we can do something about it. We share a brotherhood among sports men and women that can move mountains if we so desire. With that said, If you attend debates or public hearings at your local office your voice and opinions will be heard. But to stand back and be okay with the ever persistant push of the animal rights activists is not acceptable. I will uphold the Values and Sportsmanship that my father taught me. And that includes the protection of Game Animals for My future Generation! Because that's what it is really about. You, your kids, and memories!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh ya Jim-
I agree with you 100% Turn em loose!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:43 PM

Kill them all is what I say outside of national parks. They serve no purpose to us outside the parks. If you wanna see them as they really are. Go to yellowstone park.

Quick Reply: Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.