Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question? >

Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Are you people so stupid not to realize that you are only defeating yourselves with this shoot shovel shut up crap? Why do you think they are a protected species in the first place? Because your ancestors shot, shoveled, and shut up many years ago and wiped them out. As long as every one is shooting shoveling and shutting up they will never get delisted and you will never have a hunting season on them and the problem will continue to grow larger and larger with theelk, moose and deer populations continuing to grow smaller and smaller.

You people are the only reason we have this problem today and are even talking about it.

The endangered species act of 1973 was created to protectALL of theanimals that are in danger of becoming extinct. You don't get to pick and choose which animals to protect.

Animals that have been saved because of this act include................
Grizzly bear, Black bear, Bison, bobcat, woodland caribou, bald eagle, key deer, American alligator, sea turtles, and hundreds upon hundreds of more animals and plants around the world.

So quit your damn bitching and work with your politicians to get hunting seasons and regulations established for the wolf and abide by those regulations just like you would any other animal that you would hunt. Cause thetrack you all areon you will never get there.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I think wolves are cool, and I don't think I'll be shooting one anytime soon. Had one at 15 yards last year, it never even saw me. Me and my dad could hear the whole pack all morning. It was cool. Wrecked our morning for hunting, but it was a cool experience.
I too agree they are somewhat cool to listen too, but at the same time I know youcan hunt them in Canada andthey have a lot more land to roam around on. Not here in the good ol western USA. Sure we still have big tracks of land but nothing compared to whats north of us. The wolves have learned that winter grounds are easy pickings.I know some feel we hunters are trying to be game hogs wanting the elk all to ourself and that is not the case.Ifthe wolves are left unchecked I would be willing to bet everything Iown, that there willbe no elk hunting inIdaho come 15 or maybe even 10 years down the road. Right now the experts say we have between 650 to 800 wolves(around 70 to 80 packs)in Idaho alone. Some say more, nobody says any less.But come this spring you can add another30% to that figure. Surethere is food for them to eat, but each year the wolf number increaseand the elk numbers drop, until thepoint that the elk numbers are so low that we as hunters are not needed at all. For those who say''ya right that will never happen" I say to them areyou willing to bet your hunting on it? Bottom line is we need every hunter's support on this with the antis because they are well funded and organized and will stop at nothing to end hunting.And yes I do believe that the wolves are their best weapon here in the westernU.S. We as hunterson the other hand are divided into many groups that bicker with one anotherover less serious issues. One example of the many iswe are more worried about who hunts with what weapon, andif that weapon was the best choice for the game being hunted and so on.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

endangered species act of 1973 was created to protectALL of theanimals that are in danger of becoming extinct
That is the number one reason why I don't like theendangered species act, the tree hugger have learned to use it to thier best advantage.Last time I checked the wolf and bear population up in Canada and alaska was doing quite well, and has been for quite some time. Heck if we followed that logic we should add all theanimalsin world to the list. After all I don't see many african animals running around in the Idaho mountains.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Point Jason.

BTW. The wolves that were "introduced" lately were, I believe, actually the Canadian sub-species, whichare significantly larger than the western sub-species was.
.......................and I don't think they are in danger of becoming extinct at all, are they??

You people are the only reason we have this problem today and are even talking about it.
Not logical Captain[8D]

BTW, Was the black bear ever on that list??? I have a hard time imagining that
Old 12-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

After all I don't see many african animals running around in the Idaho mountains.
Well that's becasue the African animals are native to Africa. The grey and red wolfs are native to the lower 48.

Yes the Louisiana black bear was endangered.

And so was the Columbianwhite tail deer, several species of fox, Jaguar, spotted owls.

Here is the current list of endangered species of the world.
http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/SpeciesReport.do?dsource=animals

Not logical Captain[8D]
100% logical. If it were not for the greed of the humans that killed them off to begin with we wouldn't need to be having this conversation.

There are extremes to all sides of any debate. People like those of you who want to SSS are the reason they became endangered to begin with and the reason the endangered species was even created. The tree huggers that figure out how to use things like the ESA are the extreme on the other side of the debate and are the ones causing the problems today by wanting to keep them listed. If the two extreme sides would just shut up andget out of it all together a whole bunch of problems could be solved and much quicker than it is currently taking today.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

After all I don't see many african animals running around in the Idaho mountains.
Well that's becasue the African animals are native to Africa. The grey and red wolfs are native to the lower 48.

Yes the Louisiana black bear was endangered.

And so was the Columbianwhite tail deer, several species of fox, Jaguar, spotted owls.

Here is the current list of endangered species of the world.
http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/SpeciesReport.do?dsource=animals

Not logical Captain[8D]
100% logical. If it were not for the greed of the humans that killed them off to begin with we wouldn't need to be having this conversation.

There are extremes to all sides of any debate. People like those of you who want to SSS are the reason they became endangered to begin with and the reason the endangered species was even created. The tree huggers that figure out how to use things like the ESA are the extreme on the other side of the debate and are the ones causing the problems today by wanting to keep them listed. If the two extreme sides would just shut up andget out of it all together a whole bunch of problems could be solved and much quicker than it is currently taking today.
BB, you tout the ESA as if it were a good thing. Many of us believe it is an outrage. The Fed shoved this wolf down the states throats, so it's also a states rights issue. The ESA is one of the biggest piece of crap legeslative bills ever passed. It violates private property rights, states rights, and hands power to the fed. Why the hell isn't the wolf being re-introduced in major metro areas? Because it doesn't freakin belong there! It doesn't belong here either. Why the hell don't we tear up the hiways, rip out the bridges, flatten the buildings, pull up the dams? Lets reverse progress so BB and his pathetic ilk can feel all warm and fuzzy inside. What a joke. The only reason the wolf is here is to appeaze environmental whackos, it serves absolutely no other purpose. No matter how you try to pervert it and twist it Bigbull the undeniable truth is that it is political bull ****.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: elkslayer338

I have never violated the law or taken game wrongfully so I could not shoot one unless it was legal.
Whats moral and legal are often not the same thing. I have no issue with a man violating the law to do what is universally moral. I wouldn't hesitate to use my constitutional right of jury nullfication if brought forth in court and I were on the jury.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: muley69

ORIGINAL: elkslayer338

I have never violated the law or taken game wrongfully so I could not shoot one unless it was legal.
Whats moral and legal are often not the same thing. I have no issue with a man violating the law to do what is universally moral. I wouldn't hesitate to use my constitutional right of jury nullfication if brought forth in court and I were on the jury.
Thats just the way I was brought up! To be A law abiding citizen and hunter who does not trespass or hunt out of season. Don't brake the Law Change it!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Muley, I never said I like or disliked any thing about the ESA.

But the fact is if it werenot forhumans killing off different species of animals there would have never been any need for the ESA to begin with. The ESA is theonly reason there are now huntable populations of animals, like the Grizzly, numerous seal species, numerous whale species, numerous salmon speciesthat were once on the brink of extinction. Other wise the humans would have continued killing these animals until they actually did become extinct and we wouldn't have anything to complain about cause there would be no animals left.

The elk once roamed 90% of this country but now only lives in about 10% of its original range thanks to the greed of humans. It damn sure wasn't the wolf that killed off the elk. It was us. So quit bitching about the wolf, go look in the mirror and realize where the true and original problem lies.

Animal conservation goes full circle, predators and prey. They both belong and IMO would be a shame to loose any of them for ever. I have no desire to kill off the predators so that I may have all the prey to myself.

You and others with your same attitude continue to be on the extreme side of kill-em-all and there will continue to be the tree huggers that are there to protect every animal from everything. Your thought process about issues like this are exactly why we are in this situation in the first place.

Thats just the way I was brought up! To be A law abiding citizen and hunter who does not trespass or hunt out of season. Don't brake the Law Change it!
I find it fascinating how many people arethe moral and ethicspolice when it comes to deer, elk, moose, others trespassing on their property, shooting yearlings, taking long shots, etc.. etc... but mention the wolf and their true colors shine through.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Muley, I never said I like or disliked any thing about the ESA.

But the fact is if it werenot forhumans killing off different species of animals there would have never been any need for the ESA to begin with. The ESA is theonly reason there are now huntable populations of animals, like the Grizzly, numerous seal species, numerous whale species, numerous salmon speciesthat were once on the brink of extinction. Other wise the humans would have continued killing these animals until they actually did become extinct and we wouldn't have anything to complain about cause there would be no animals left.

The elk once roamed 90% of this country but now only lives in about 10% of its original range thanks to the greed of humans. It damn sure wasn't the wolf that killed off the elk. It was us. So quit bitching about the wolf, go look in the mirror and realize where the true and original problem lies.

Animal conservation goes full circle, predators and prey. They both belong and IMO would be a shame to loose any of them for ever. I have no desire to kill off the predators so that I may have all the prey to myself.

You and others with your same attitude continue to be on the extreme side of kill-em-all and there will continue to be the tree huggers that are there to protect every animal from everything. Your thought process about issues like this are exactly why we are in this situation in the first place.

I find it fascinating how many people arethe moral and ethicspolice when it comes to deer, elk, moose, others trespassing on their property, shooting yearlings, taking long shots, etc.. etc... but mention the wolf and their true colors shine through.
Ok and your point was... I am Moral and fair when it comes to the Wolf, I would like to see its numbers controlled threw hunting not SSS.
it really hurts me to see whats happened to the moose,elk andmule deer
populations. We need to get it together! Contact your congressman find out Ware they stand on De-listing the wolf,enlist their support. If they are not pro hunting vote them out next election.

Quick Reply: Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.