Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Non-residents hunting Federal Public land?? >

Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

Old 12-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Banned

Default Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

Why doesit cost $500 for a non-resident to hunt elk on Federalpublic land in CObut a CO resident only $40? The last I knew I paid federal taxes so how am I a nonresident on my land that I pay taxes on? I am not singling out CO as all states pull this crap. Enlighten me with this logic.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:03 PM

Default RE: Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

Most of the time, energy, and money spent keepingand managing the herds are spent by the local residents. Game management is administered by state game agencies. Locals have spent the time and money to live in, and partake in the local economy and should reap the rewards for their efforts.Tresspassing and search and rescue efforts also contribute to higher out of state fees. Additionally, tag allotments should be distrubuted to locals first, and high cost trim influx of out of staters.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:04 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

It is not where (federal public ground)you are hunting that determines your big game license costs.
It is the fact that you are taking an animal that belongs to the State of Colorado, an animal that isNOT property of your federal government. This is why you apply with the state's Divsion of Wildlife (or equivalent) and not the fed's USFG.

The feds long ago gave the right of ownership ofgame animalsto the states regardless of the ownership of the ground upon which the animal is standing.

Federal public land just happens to be where you can get "freebee access" (your land.... your taxes) to hunt and hopefully shoot said big game animal (versus private ground where you would likely pay for access in addition to tags). Being a Colorado resident, I am very thankful that OUR federal government has all this federal public land that allows me to not have to pay an access fee either.

The elk herds are managed by the State of Colorado and at the expense of the State of Colorado.
Beyond that the actual pricing is a matter of market place factors and what "the traffic will bear."

There is the logic (and the law). Ihave nodoubt you will likely reject it.

Are resident and non-resident rates for deer in Iowa the same?
Does the cost of the license vary based on where you go within Iowa to huntdeer?
Landowners perhaps?

I paid $250 in the 70's as a kid to go hunt elk in Montana near Missoula.
Compared to my "deer patch" back in Nebraska, it really felt like the big time and was a whole different world.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

Makes sense. Ia claims they own the animals in our state too. We just don't have any federal land that has big game hunting on it, so if a non-resident wants to hunt deer here in IA on public land it is all state owned property; not federal. I am curious as to whether any federal tax dollars go to the CO elk herd? To stir the pot a little more; how well would the CO elk herd do without my federal tax payed land to live on?[/align]
Old 12-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

I would implement a different nonresident fee for the hunter on Federal land in the state of IA if we had Federal land for deer hunting. Example: Nonresident hunting on federal land has a reduced fee than the nonresident who is hunting IA public or private ground; after all, that non-residents taxes are supporting the deer on the federal land.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:53 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

".... how well would the CO elk herd do without my federal tax payed land to live on?"
Unlike your white tail deer that live and die within a 5 mile radius, the elk herds range over wide areas of private, local, state, BLM, USF, and Wilderness lands in the course of a year.... so not as clear cut as you might prefer. In answer to your question, I think the elk herds would and are doing just fine without your tax dollars....

Over the course of the past 15 years the USFS has had its budget cut time and again and now what little money they have is going towards firre suppression and or fire management most the discretionary revenue they have comes in the form of special use permit feesfrom folks like.... outfitters.

On the other hand, small groups like you and I sashay in and out without paying anything.... so I don't think your federal tax dollars really count for much at all in this scenario.... the elk were doing just great before the government got here....

just be thankful for the freebee access. I am.
================================================== ==

You gonna put in for permits or try to "reform" the system?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: EKM

".... how well would the CO elk herd do without my federal tax payed land to live on?"
Unlike your white tail deer that live and die within a 5 mile radius, the elk herds range over wide areas of private, local, state, BLM, USF, and Wilderness lands in the course of a year.... so not as clear cut as you might prefer. In answer to your question, I think the elk herds would and are doing just fine without your tax dollars....

Over the course of the past 15 years the USFS has had its budget cut time and again and now what little money they have is going towards firre suppression and or fire management most the discretionary revenue they have comes in the form of special use permit feesfrom folks like.... outfitters.

On the other hand, small groups like you and I sashay in and out without paying anything.... so I don't think your federal tax dollars really count for much at all in this scenario.... the elk were doing just great before the government got here....

just be thankful for the freebee access. I am.
================================================== ==

You gonna put in for permits or try to "reform" the system?
Hunted in CO last year and headed back next year; selfguided again. No need to put in for permits; I only hunt big game with a bow. We buy the tags over the counter the day we arrive in town.Good luck to you. As far as the freebee access; federal taxes do pay for the land. I am thankful though that the anti's haven't been successsful at banning hunting like they would like to on federal land.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I too went to CO last year on a self guided hunt and had the time of my life. I didn't mind forking overapprox500 for tags and will do it willingly again next year. Big bargain if you ask me and I had a 3 day drive just to get there.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Ok ,
So the elk belomg to CO. Who ownes the wolves. Are they fed wolves?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

When an animal is classified under the Endangered Species Act its control is under the auspices of the Federal Governement, when de-classified it's control reverts to the states, which in the case of wolves.... that is what most the fuss is about.

No tags available for wolves in the lower 48 I'm sad to say and don't look for it any time soon.

Quick Reply: Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.