Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Non-residents hunting Federal Public land?? >

Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

HC, if you are interested, I am sure that it woun't be hard to find on google, you can look at courts rulings over this topic. The USO took Arizona to court over this. They tried to push the issue of Interstate commerce and used the animals as commodities paid for by federal taxes. They went on to sue other states over the fact of quotas being illegal. It was all a hunt for the almighty dollar. I refrain from getting into more detail, as this topic has been beat to death, but you WILL be able to find out more by doing a brief search.

It sure is nice though, for anyone to access to such beautiful country. Enjoy the fresh high mountain air this year!!! And good luck
Old 12-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another way to look at it. Does the wildlife on private land belong to the landowner? Can the landowner then set his own hunting seasons and licenses fees? NOT. Same with land of any ownership (federal, state, private), the state owns the wildlife.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man why make a complicated system more complicated.If i want to hunt elk in Co. Ill pay the 500.00 or ill just be happy with my whitetails here.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:34 AM

I have know big problem with the fee's but I do have a Problem with the point system in Col. It took me 7 years to get my black powder tag. it should have only taken 3.the tag price difference is a bitoutrages.
the state of Colorado makes millions off hunters and few dollars go back into hunting programs. hunters provide a huge revenue for the state but are under represented. This is the big problem in Colorado andwith the division of Wildlife is it'spower being cut out. We could see big changes in Colorado forresident and non resident alike.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:58 AM

Everyone is free to enter those lands but the state has domain over the wildlife thus they set the fees to hunt them.

My home state of Kansas has it's own set of problems. With the wildlife decisions in the hands of legislature all they see is money. The money is coming from out of state and the percentages of non-resident allocations will more than triple effectively shutting out resident hunters unless you want to spend the 4k to hunt.

In a state is privately owned in the by upper 90 percent there is no federal or state land for the residents to fall back on.

We do have a walk in hunting program but most of that land is the stuff no good enough for the outfitters to lease or they would have and they are becoming over pressured.

To add insult to injury the state moved our pheasant season up one week to get more cash ( again by legislation) this has pissed off the farmers because most of the Milo is cut that week prior to the season opener. Now there is still Milo in the fields and farmers don't want hunters in there and because of this there is a mass Exodus of land enrolled in walk in hunting program.

It is cheaper in most cases for me to hunt out of state now because of public lands than in my own state.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I look at it a different way, you are paying $0 to hunt on federal lands, however the federal lands are in the state of CO (or wherever) and patrolled by and managed by the state of CO F&G, so you need to chip in your part to cover that cost. Federal land will ALWAYS be open to you to hunt, it won't be posted, won't be locked up by outfitters or leases.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Locals may indeed have certain rights in their minds based on their "squatting", but let's not get too carried away with that idea. Cut-off the non-res hunting funds altogether and see the large sized hole in the state funds and your "local" economy. Colorado, like many mountainous states, needs tourism. Be it hunters, hikers or snow skiers.

And I would take exception to one of the "laws" mentioned by my fellow texan in an earlier post.
State of Texas doesn't own wildlife. Else why would the state have allowed millions of acres of private land to be high-fenced without the landowners in question having to "purchase" the animals now entrapped on said land???

I gladly hand over my tag money along with those funds spent in the local establishments if that is the requirement to hunt in the Rockies. I even own property there and pay taxes too!!! Guess you could call me a real supporter of the state.

Here's hoping that the statement made earlier by one of you guys about "federal land and always be free to hunt" is an accurate statement. I fear that if those of us that have similiar interests don't get/stay involved, our ideals about this and associated topics, will be supplanted by those with a fervor to see it differently (ie national parks).
Old 12-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know we are splitting hairs here, but the state of Texas does indeed owns all the wildlife in the state, even those behind high fencing. Every hunter that hunts that property has to have a valid license and must abide by all the state laws of hunting including bag limits.

What IS against the law and the powers that be justlook the other wayis "trophy" fees charged by some ranches. It is really only legal to charge for tresspass fees or outfitting fees. It is illegal to sell wildlife. However, it is done all the time. Anytime someone charges a client "by the inch" for a wild whitetail, he is technically selling wildlife. Again, the powers just seem to look the other way.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

But how much money is spent in CO. each year by non-res. hunters? A CRAP LOAD!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:00 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....But how much money is spent in CO. each year by non-res. hunters? A CRAP LOAD!"
.... and your specific point is.... ?

Quick Reply: Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.